Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Dispersion mechanics - suddenly i'm very curious

15 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Does anyone have solid knowledge of how dispersion works in this game? 

Example: Ark B has a sixth module that reduces dispersion by eleven percent. No matter how you slice/dice it, that is a substantial amount of a reduction over other tier 4 and 5 BBs. 

With it installed - at 16.7 KM, maximum dispersion is 202 meters. That's a small amount of dispersion for a BB at nearly 17 km. So my question becomes - what sliding scale do they use to calculate dispersion? Or is it fixed and simply a matter of an RNG calculation? 

Is it 202 meters at 1km through 16.7km? I have seen rounds spiral everywhere but on a ship at 8 to 10 km away. Is it as I suspect - they stuff 202 meters into a formula then reduce/increase it by modifiers THEN roll the dice to see what value to utilize for the shot, with the maximum possible being 202 meters at any range? 

Or is it a sliding scale - which would make more logical sense, encouraging close-up battles because dispersion is less? tiafyc

Note: I have been told by someone "the two values they don't tell you is vertical dispersion and sigma. Both also effect accuracy. The 202 is horizontal. The other thing they don't tell you is what values does Aiming Mod change. Is it all 3 or just horizontal dispersion?"

Is that accurate as well? Anyone done any data mining to determine the values? again, tiafyc

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
9 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Does anyone have solid knowledge of how dispersion works in this game? 

Example: Ark B has a sixth module that reduces dispersion by eleven percent. No matter how you slice/dice it, that is a substantial amount of a reduction over other tier 4 and 5 BBs. 

With it installed - at 16.7 KM, maximum dispersion is 202 meters. That's a small amount of dispersion for a BB at nearly 17 km. So my question becomes - what sliding scale do they use to calculate dispersion? Or is it fixed and simply a matter of an RNG calculation? 

Is it 202 meters at 1km through 16.7km? I have seen rounds spiral everywhere but on a ship at 8 to 10 km away. Is it as I suspect - they stuff 202 meters into a formula then reduce/increase it by modifiers THEN roll the dice to see what value to utilize for the shot, with the maximum possible being 202 meters at any range? 

Or is it a sliding scale - which would make more logical sense, encouraging close-up battles because dispersion is less? tiafyc

Note: I have been told by someone "the two values they don't tell you is vertical dispersion and sigma. Both also effect accuracy. The 202 is horizontal. The other thing they don't tell you is what values does Aiming Mod change. Is it all 3 or just horizontal dispersion?"

Is that accurate as well? Anyone done any data mining to determine the values? again, tiafyc

Ask @LittleWhiteMouse she would probably have an idea on how it works.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

@Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi, did you have to quote the entire OP just for that oneliner comment that doesn't even address anything in the OP?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Was just sent this so i do believe it answers all me questions. Thanks iChase, LWM and the others who contributed on the video content.

NOTE: It does not discuss the particular upgrade (APRM2) that is " -11% to maximum dispersion of main battery shells" - but, as the value shown "in port" is the horizontal dispersion, we must presume that is the value they are reducing. Guessing now - but unlikely it affect vertical dispersion. 

Anyone know for sure if it affects vertical? tiafyc

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

@Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi, did you have to quote the entire OP just for that oneliner comment that doesn't even address anything in the OP?

For the notifications, to get his attention when he comes back, though in hindsight i should of maybe deleted it down. Will fix that in the future thanks Lert.

[TBW]
Members
6,305 posts
11,856 battles
54 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Is it 202 meters at 1km through 16.7km?

I do believe the 202 is at range and dispersion is better as you get closer. If it's not my thinking is all wrong.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
8 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

There is nothing wrong with snipping it down. Like what I just did. Or deleting lines to answer or address one particular question or line. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,027 posts
7,606 battles

Dispersion scales linearly over range from 4km through the max range (there's an artificial boost at ranges below 4km for Battleships).  Currently, there are 4 different dispersion paths for battleships, with a 5th on the way if Giulio Cesare gets released in her current state

• IJN Battleships -- most accurate
  • HMS Warspite & HMS Hood -- next most accurate
  • USN, Soviet and British Battleships -- next most accurate after that
  • German and French Battleships -- least accurate.

Modules reduce this dispersion further.  Consider:

PtnKMwW.pngVTQWERX.png

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,491 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Dispersion scales linearly over range from 4km through the max range (there's an artificial boost at ranges below 4km for Battleships).  Currently, there are 4 different dispersion paths for battleships, with a 5th on the way if Giulio Cesare gets released in her current state

I knew you would have it and saw you were on LWM - Thanks!!

[WG-CC]
9,027 posts
7,606 battles
Just now, Pete_Darling said:

I knew you would have it and saw you were on LWM - Thanks!!

No problem.  It's interesting to note that as range increases, German and French Battleship dispersion converges with that of the USN, British and Soviet.  Conceivably, with sufficient range, they would be more accurate at these extreme distances.  Similarly, American, Soviet and British BBs become more accurate than IJN BBs at close ranges.

[WG-CC]
9,027 posts
7,606 battles

23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Does RNG then factor against the dispersion to some degree? And do you know what dispersion is reduced by the APRM2 on the Ark B - horizontal only?

This only applies to the horizontal arc.  Vertical arc is based on horizontal dispersion but the shell fall angle will largely determine the shape.  Slower shells with a higher arc will have a shorter vertical dispersion than high velocity shells on a flat arc.

And yes, RNG factors into dispersion in the form of sigma.  Here's an example:

gDJCl1J.gif

This is the shot dispersion of HMS Hood (cyan) vs HMS Warspite (white).  The purple and yellow dots are reference markers for aligning the images, with purple being the target point. Warspite has 2.0 sigma, Hood has 1.8 sigma.  Sigma determines how likely it is for shells to land within the center of the dispersion area.  The higher your sigma value, the more likely it is that shells will land towards the center of your target.  Notice how Warspite has a very dense core area while Hood's is more dispersed.

The maximum dispersion area for the two ships is identical.  But how often the shells land towards the center is affected by RNG and dictated by their sigma values.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,491 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

No problem.  It's interesting to note that as range increases, German and French Battleship dispersion converges with that of the USN, British and Soviet.  Conceivably, with sufficient range, they would be more accurate at these extreme distances.  Similarly, American, Soviet and British BBs become more accurate than IJN BBs at close ranges.

What I found interesting is that the Dispersion Mechanics seems to be nation based not class based. What I mean is I feel like USN DD's and CL/CA's tend to have a similar mechanic to the BB's. It actually makes sense due to shell weights and velocity that nations are using. I think where I get hung up is Sigma and shell weight, I really wish they would state that in the port stats. Granted I'm going to do the ballistics math but you can get a feel from velocity, weight and sigma where the ship will tend to perform best or at least at what ranges. The horizontal dispersion will tell you at what angles, example is a ship with a large horizontal dispersion you can minimize the dispersion by pushing your guns to the minimum firing arc to keep the initial group closer together. Just things I have noticed.

Sign in to follow this