You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Notser: 6.11 PTS IFHE & Smoke

15 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Asked this somewhere else but didn't get an answer- if a battleship moves into smoke and only fires secondaries will it still be detected to 13-14 km or will it be spotted to the range of the respective gun caliber? 

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles

Good question Eno, haven't seen any documentation on it.  Time to test it ;)

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles
45 minutes ago, chewonit said:

What happens if you are behind the smoke, not in it?

The same mechanic applies.  

5 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So don't bother smoking friendly fleets / battleships and cruisers?

Essentially, if a BB or CA, smoke is only defensive, to repair, heal up or break contact.  The moment you fire your main batteries, you're spotted.

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
6 minutes ago, h_balck said:

The same mechanic applies.  

Essentially, if a BB or CA, smoke is only defensive, to repair, heal up or break contact.  The moment you fire your main batteries, you're spotted.

So don't bother smoking friendly fleets / battleships and cruisers.         Notice I changed the ? to a . :cap_like:

[TBW]
Members
6,331 posts
11,884 battles

Does the new smoke mechanics work both ways. If I am not firing in smoke and there are no spotters, when a ship outside the smoke fires, will I then see it if it is in the same ranges as when shooting from within smoke?

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles
21 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So don't bother smoking friendly fleets / battleships and cruisers.         Notice I changed the ? to a . :cap_like:

Ha.  Cheeky.  But not quite.  It still has its purpose.  If you want to keep a friendly alive long enough to heal up/repair.  If they fire in the smoke then they've screwed up.  It should keep down the smoke camping meta which frankly is a welcomed change.  

The way is being implemented could use some tweaking though.  Perhaps a happy middle ground would be spotting withing smoke is limited to a window of time related to caliber along with the range mechanic.  As in a reduction to the flat amount of time to go dark after firing.  Food for thought?  

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

Smoke still helps CAs at long distance some what. Not sure if this is a good change for them because it limits an already vulnerable sub-class of Cruisers.

[TBW]
Members
6,331 posts
11,884 battles
11 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Smoke still helps CAs at long distance some what. Not sure if this is a good change for them because it limits an already vulnerable sub-class of Cruisers.

Seems a little like the cruisers will stay back even farther from the dd's now. When I am in a DD the ships I want gone most are DD's. I would smoke up my cruisers and go spot the destroyers so that the cruisers could take out the destroyers and then I could go about my stealthy business.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:

What happens if you are behind the smoke, not in it?

exactly. 

Does the penalty still apply if you are behind a smoke screen. 

Lets say you are 3km from a BB in a RN CL. You hold fire and back out of the screen from behind were there is no LOS. 

Once you back out you resume firing, does it apply?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,451 battles
3 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So don't bother smoking friendly fleets / battleships and cruisers?

I haven't since 6.3 went live. 

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Does the new smoke mechanics work both ways. If I am not firing in smoke and there are no spotters, when a ship outside the smoke fires, will I then see it if it is in the same ranges as when shooting from within smoke?

Outside of smoke will work the same way it does now. The new penalty only effects ships that are firing from within smoke. Meaning that if they're firing outside of you're smoke, if there are no ships or planes to spot the ship, you won't be able to see it until it either comes into hydro range or it hits the normal proximity range. The ship firing from within smoke is the only one to get the penalty. So unless you have hydro or a spotter up, or a friendly to spot him, he will have a few km buffer to fire at you if you're firing from within smoke before you can see him.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,329 posts
10,376 battles
3 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Plenty of reason to still do so.  The player just has to not fire from that smoke if there is a ship within the guaranteed detection range.