You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Irondeth

Tier 7 cruisers

72 comments in this topic

[F-A-W]
[F-A-W]
Members
4 posts
1,705 battles

I have unlocked all the non-premium tier 7 cruisers and was wondering what peoples opinions are for the first one I should get

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles

That's a tough one. For me, I like, and am keeping, all of them.

Even Yorck, which a lot of people hate, seems to click for me.

They're all good, but play differently. How do you like to play?

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,578 battles

That depends on what characteristics you prefer your cruisers to have. Are there any you're particularly interested in?

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,737 posts
3,186 battles

I quite like Myoukou out of all of them.

~Hunter

• Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,354 battles

Fiji was my favorite of the T7s CAs.

Then again, as others have said, it depends on playstyle, and Fiji fits mine.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I liked Fiji a lot, especially versus its same tier.

I think Myoko is easier to play and does even fine versus tier 9s. I like both of them, both have a different play style.

[F-A-W]
[F-A-W]
Members
4 posts
1,705 battles

I so far have liked all the tier 6 and the different play styles of each.. Some are good for attacking and playing aggressive and others seem to play like light battleship's.. My question I guess is really which one has great guns, decent torps and decent armor. I do look at the stats but stats do not give a accurate gameplay and handling insight.

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,841 battles
11 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

Fiji was my favorite of the T7s CAs.

Then again, as others have said, it depends on playstyle, and Fiji fits mine.

I forgot about Fiji, I should amend my post above to both Fiji and Schorrs

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
10,871 battles

I liked the Algérie. 

Pensacola was a hard grind. More like this: 

giphy.gif

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
11 minutes ago, Irondeth said:

I so far have liked all the tier 6 and the different play styles of each.. Some are good for attacking and playing aggressive and others seem to play like light battleship's.. My question I guess is really which one has great guns, decent torps and decent armor. I do look at the stats but stats do not give a accurate gameplay and handling insight.

Well with such a wish list I guess Myoko would suit you best. Great guns, decent armor and great torpedoes.

Fiji has terrible armor, but can repair. She can be difficult to play in Tier 9 games.

Pensacola is for the more experienced cruiser players. Difficult to play, but lots of fun when you get the hang of deleting other cruisers :) I dislike her a lot in tier 9 battles.

Yorck been a really long time. I can't remember much about that ship. All I know is that I wanted to have the AH very badly.

Lets see what the others think about it.

EDIT: Forgot about the French & Russian line (don't have those... lolz)

Edited by joris92

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,320 battles
2 minutes ago, Mik6669 said:

I liked the Algérie. 

Pensacola was a hard grind. More like this: 

-snip-

Algerie was great, but I actually loved the Pensacola too. She was a change in playstyle that I had to learn to adapt too, but once I did she was a great cruiser killer that rewarded aggressive play.  I have found NO more difficult than the Pensacola. 

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,561 battles

Fji>Myoko>Schors>Algerie>Yorck>Pensacola

This is just my opinion, but I think we can all agree that the Fiji is the best, you should get her first OP.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,360 posts
10,224 battles

All the T7 tech tree cruisers are crappy

In fact, at T7, the only good cruiser is Belfast and Scharnhorst.

Fiji gets a pass, but just barely.

(The primary issue with T7 ships is they cannot mount the T8+ module to improve their stealth, and all of them are lack luster in one way or another, unlike the more refined ships you get in T8)

Edited by MrDeaf

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

Pensacola (USN)

One of the most fragile cruisers at T7, she is the first heavy cruiser of the USN line.  Her HE shells are good, and her super-heavy American AP shells pack a serious punch.  A recent buff reduced her formerly large detection range to more reasonable levels, on par with her most of her T7 counterparts.  Still a ship that relies heavily on proper positioning and situational awareness to succeed in.

Shchors (VMF)

Another very fragile ship, but this time a light cruiser at T7 for the Russian line.  Possibly a slight downgrade from the very strong Budyonny at T6, her paper thin armor can be somewhat mitigated by using her very good range and rail gun like ballistics.  A very fun ship when played well, but completely unforgiving of mistakes.  Not a great first choice for inexperienced players.

Fiji (RN)

The first real gem in the UK light cruiser line, and the high point until you get to Neptune and Minotaur.  A very strong ship which paves the way for the tactical playstyle of the rest of the ships in the tech tree.  Going from 8 guns on Leander to 12 guns on Fiji makes a big difference in performance, along with very serviceable torpedoes.  Not quite Belfast strong, but a keeper for many.

Algerie (LR)

The first heavy cruiser of the French cruiser tech tree, she is a solid upgrade over La Galissionaire at T6.  Not excelling at any particular trait, she is a solid ship that relies (like most French cruisers) on her HE to rack up damage totals.  Her AP is good, but her squishy armor does not usually allow for close range combat to expoit its strength.  With speed boost and flags, she can be one of the quickest cruisers at T7.

Yorck (KM)

The anomaly of the German cruiser line, as she is the first (and only) ship that tends to rely more on HE shell performance than AP, due to the latter's slower ballistics.  However, within 10km, her AP is devastating and along with 6km torpedoes with generous firing arcs, she can be a fantastic late-game brawler.  Armor isn't spectacular, but feels somewhat tankier than Pensacola or Shchors.

Myoko (IJN)

One of the oldest cruisers in the game at T7, along with Pensacola.  A very well-rounded heavy cruiser that continues the playstyle started with Furutaka at T5 and continuing all the way up to Zao at T10.  Great HE with high fire chance, strong AP, long range torpedoes and good concealment.  The epitome of a balanced cruiser, and probably the most forgiving at its tier for new players.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,354 battles
6 minutes ago, Irondeth said:

And thank you all for your reply and input

You should also consider where you want to end up with the lines you play.

The Schors>Chapeyev>Donskoi>Moskva was one of my favorite tier ladders. I truly enjoyed every ship.

Yorck>Hipper>Roon>Hindenburg was a bit up and down for me, but worth it. Hindy is my favorite T10 CA in the game.

Fiji>Edinburgh>Neptune has been an easy transition for me. They are all very similar.

I should have stopped the US line at Cleveland, Pensacola was terrible, and New Orleans only slightly better.

As for IJN, the playstyle is different, and after Myoko, you get the downer of Mogami, then the struggle that is Ibuki. Is the Zao worth it? We shall see.

Currently having fun with Charles Martel. Hope the St Louis and the Henri IV are just as good.

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

Pensacola (USN)

One of the most fragile cruisers at T7, she is the first heavy cruiser of the USN line.  Her HE shells are good, and her super-heavy American AP shells pack a serious punch.  A recent buff reduced her formerly large detection range to more reasonable levels, on par with her most of her T7 counterparts.  Still a ship that relies heavily on proper positioning and situational awareness to succeed in.

Shchors (VMF)

Another very fragile ship, but this time a light cruiser at T7 for the Russian line.  Possibly a slight downgrade from the very strong Budyonny at T6, her paper thin armor can be somewhat mitigated by using her very good range and rail gun like ballistics.  A very fun ship when played well, but completely unforgiving of mistakes.  Not a great first choice for inexperienced players.

Fiji (RN)

The first real gem in the UK light cruiser line, and the high point until you get to Neptune and Minotaur.  A very strong ship which paves the way for the tactical playstyle of the rest of the ships in the tech tree.  Going from 8 guns on Leander to 12 guns on Fiji makes a big difference in performance, along with very serviceable torpedoes.  Not quite Belfast strong, but a keeper for many.

Algerie (LR)

The first heavy cruiser of the French cruiser tech tree, she is a solid upgrade over La Galissionaire at T6.  Not excelling at any particular trait, she is a solid ship that relies (like most French cruisers) on her HE to rack up damage totals.  Her AP is good, but her squishy armor does not usually allow for close range combat to expoit its strength.  With speed boost and flags, she can be one of the quickest cruisers at T7.

Yorck (KM)

The anomaly of the German cruiser line, as she is the first (and only) ship that tends to rely more on HE shell performance than AP, due to the latter's slower ballistics.  However, within 10km, her AP is devastating and along with 6km torpedoes with generous firing arcs, she can be a fantastic late-game brawler.  Armor isn't spectacular, but feels somewhat tankier than Pensacola or Shchors.

Myoko (IJN)

One of the oldest cruisers in the game at T7, along with Pensacola.  A very well-rounded heavy cruiser that continues the playstyle started with Furutaka at T5 and continuing all the way up to Zao at T10.  Great HE with high fire chance, strong AP, long range torpedoes and good concealment.  The epitome of a balanced cruiser, and probably the most forgiving at its tier for new players.

[TASH]
Members
4,990 posts
7,880 battles

Fiji is best Tier VII cruiser.

She'll make the other cruisers look disappointing.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[SYN]
Members
14,360 posts
10,224 battles

Yorck armor is very trollish, btw. It's even more trollish than Hipper

The only trouble with Yorck, is that it doesn't have all that much HP, so trollish armor not handing out citadels or not, the penetration damage will stack up very quickly.

[SF-A]
Members
2,846 posts
5,547 battles

Shchors works well for me, as does Fiji. I didn't like Algerie or Pensacola much, but their successors are quite good. I don't have Yorck or Myoko, but the ARP clones seem good enough.

I suppose you could get Flint without paying anything, and it's pretty good.

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

Pensacola (USN)

Shchors (VMF)

Fiji (RN)

Algerie (LR)

Yorck (KM)

Myoko (IJN)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,135 posts
8,749 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

That's a tough one. For me, I like, and am keeping, all of them.

Even Yorck, which a lot of people hate, seems to click for me.

They're all good, but play differently. How do you like to play?

The Yorck breaks the SMS/KMS almost always use AP general rule and instead at anything from 10 Km out you want to use HE even against broadside cruisers because of the terrible arc of the AP shells. Under 10 Km your AP will raise holy heck with pretty much everything. Once you have that exception securely inside your brain it becomes a good ship.

The Pensacola is the US break point from more nimble faster firing CL's to the less nimble slower firing CA's where AP becomes more valuable. It is a good ship but like the Yorck you have to wrap your head around the change in play style.