Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MutsuKaiNi

My opinion of the IJN BB line

13 comments in this topic

[DAKI]
Members
184 posts
7,171 battles

Yesterday I finally got my Yamato, the ship I wanted the most since I started playing WoWS. So I think I'm ready to state how I feel of the IJN BB line.

Tier 3 Kawachi: Honestly I have no reason why she gets so much hate, I honestly thought she was okay not great but not a bad ship. She isn't the best tier 3 BB, König Albert will always hold that title, but certainly not worth of the hate she gets.

Tier 4 Myogi: This one however, she deserves her hate, she's just so bad, no armor, and wonky guns. Tier 4 BBs are not known for their accuracy, but when you combine that accuracy with only a six gun battery, oh boy your in for a rough ride.

Tier 5 Kongo: However once I got to Kongo, things improved dramatically, she's so much better, good speed, troll armor, and while not an accurate battery another turret makes all the difference from Myogi. 

Tier 6 Fuso: This one, this one! I love Fuso, I truly do, firing that amazing 12 gun broadside is beautiful. Watching all those 356mm shells rain down on some Cleveland or a Leander and nuking them is a joyous site and then having to wait only 26 seconds to do it again makes it even better. She's the only ship on the line I've never sold to help pay for the next one, and I most likely never will sell her.

Tier 7 Nagato: I'll say this Nagato is probably one of the best looking ships on the IJN line, she a beautiful ship, combine that with some very punchy guns, respectable speed, and we got ourselves a winner. She also has a respectable secondary battery and I even ran a secondary build on her, granted her armor isn't really suited for it but its fun none the less.

Tier 8 Amagi: So a Kongo, a Fuso, and a Nagato got together and had a hot night of passion and out came the Amagi. She has speed, an impressive broadside, very punchy guns, and to my surprise good armor. Which for a battlecruiser design surprised me. It made me sad to sell her as I really liked it and when I can I'll very much buy her again. Also secondary build Amagi is very viable.

Tier 9 Izumo: Short and sweet, she's not good, stock she's downright awful, once she's fully upgraded she's manageable. I also ran a secondary build on her and the range is a very nice 10,6 Km. However she turns like a brick and is way to big, her guns are nice though in a very awkward placement. Yes you could bow in but I'm not always the best shot so I needed the third turret in play and yeah I paid for it sometimes but other times it worked. Even though I didn't like her, I did manage to get a Kraken in her, which for me is very rare, only other time I've ever done it was in the König Albert and well we all know about that BB.

Tier 10 Yamato: So I finally got there to the Queen of the Seas herself and she's as good as everyone has said. For as big as she is she's quite fast and maneuverable, some very tough armor, a lot of long range secondaries (yes running secondary build again). However its those 460mm guns that make her, they hit like an absolute truck and get monster damage even when not all that many shells hit 10k salvoes are not uncommon. I went and got the premo camo and it helps a lot, turns what would be a money sink into a profitable ship. 

All in all, I had fun with the Japanese BB line and would recommend it, the yammie is well worth it.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Yes, the IJN battleship line is a very good one indeed. 

To minorly point out something, Kongō is the most accurate battleship of her tier.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

Man over 2000 battles in and I still have yet to get my first Tier 10. I guess I should buy the Moskva soon.:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,725 posts
11,347 battles

Kongo and Fuso were boats I enjoyed (and still enjoy) and Yamato is Queen. I didn't care (not calling them all bad, just didn't enjoy them) for most of the IJN line, but then I'm not the biggest BB player.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,725 posts
11,347 battles
Just now, FayFay731 said:

Man over 2000 battles in and I still have yet to get my first Tier 10. I guess I should buy the Moskva soon.:cap_hmm:

I recently played the Zao and Moskva for the first time, the two t10 cruisers I was excited to get... and I was a bit let down.  Des Moines was a monster and Minotaur was a lot of fun... I have switch my efforts to them now.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles

Amagi's my most played ship.  Love her to bits.  Not sure what I'll do with it once Kii comes out.  Amagi may still be the better option in competitive situations.  Nagato's been my ranked workhorse for tier 7 seasons, won't ever sell that ship.  Kongo, well she's been sold, too many ARP Kongo's in the stable.  Did sell the Fuso.  Found that I prefer Mutsu (closer to Nagato) and its 16 inch guns and better speed.  I don't talk about Izumo, repressed memories.  Though she's far better than when I played through it.  Kawachi's biggest problems are the slow speed and short range.  Getting to position and dealing damage is a pain.  By contrast, South Carolina and Belerophon are outright OP not to mention K.A.  Myogi is just sad.  

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles

Actually i found the Kongou being really really more accurate than Myogi (well Kongou IS accurate).

But yeah, overall i'm agree. I often see people quit the line when they start with the Myogi but this is a very solid line

Members
2,274 posts
7,360 battles

IMO: 

Kongo, Fuso, Nagato and Amagi are really good ships, some of the best BBs at their tiers. And i just love Amagi and Nagato.

Kawachi, Myogi and Izumo, meh ships. Not terrible as many say but they are far from being good ships.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,446 posts
10,186 battles

Good write up OP. Congratulations as well on reaching Yamato. :Smile_honoring:

Have to disagree on Kawachi though. It is awful. By far the worst T3 and is only eclipsed in it's awfulness by Myogi at T4. Myogi might actually be the worst ship in the game? It is definitely a contender for the title anyway. God I hated that hunk of junk. I actually quit IJN BB for a long time because of it. Came back as I want Yamato so Free XP'd past what was left to go to Kongo. No way I was playing even one more game in that atrocious pile of dung. 

Kongo is a definite improvement although I find it just above average and not great as so many call it (JMHO - also to the guy whos aid it is most accurate T5 I think Konig would take exception to that LOL). It's speed is really it's big selling point for me. The guns are just meh accuracy wise and damage is inconsistent (this is an IJN BB line issue for me through T7 and even to a lesser degree T8).

Fuso is the 1st IJN BB I actually liked. I kept it and use it to train IJN BB Capt's.

Nagato. This ship isn't bad but for the life of me I do not understand the praise and love it gets? Especially all the talk of the great guns. For me the guns have sucked. Very inaccurate and again inconsistent damage. I have had some good games in it but mostly they are average or below. I kept it but only to farm elite XP I can turn to Free XP. Don't really care for it. It is fun with a secondary build but I had to drop that and go with aiming module as main guns suffered too much. Armor is for not on it too.

Amagi. Have only had it a while but this one seem better and so far I like it well enough. 2nd IJN BB besides Fuso I can say that about. It actually has some decent armor and can fight like a BB. Guns aren't super accurate but good enough and they seem to do some harm now and then (still too inconsistent for me - must be an IJN shell thing?). I will keep this one.

Haven't played Izumo and don't plan to. Guns all forward has no appeal to me. Will free XP to the ultimate prize = Yamato. Hope to be there in the near future and add Yamato to my port along with Montana.

IJN BB line for the most part just doesn't seem to suit me? I much prefer USN and KM BB's. Actually didn't like the Cruisers either and dropped them at T6 Aoba about 10K XP short of T7 Myoko. Guess I am not an IJN guy. Some of the BB's are good though and Yamato is just scary good (playing against anyway).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Sign in to follow this