You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

Hardcore version of WOWs

78 comments in this topic

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles

Was just thinking how fun it will be to have a hardcore version, simulation-like, of WOWs to be played. Real distances, real shells, torpedoes (i.e. long stealthy range but no reload), submarines, and other stuff. Would you play it? 

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles
17 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

Was just thinking how fun it will be to have a hardcore version, simulation-like, of WOWs to be played. Real distances, real shells, torpedoes (i.e. long stealthy range but no reload), submarines, and other stuff. Would you play it? 

Mouse put out a call to mod makers to make her a mod to do just that kind of thing. Look back at her posts.

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Mouse put out a call to mod makers to make her a mod to do just that kind of thing. Look back at her posts.

you are talking about this one I think. No-no, I mean not just UI but completely different game play, where, say 20 km is 20 km, not 5, and 80 kts torp is 80 kts torp

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles
1 minute ago, Citrusss said:

I mean not just UI but completely different game play, where, say 20 km is 20 km, not 5, and 80 kts torp is 80 kts torp

simulator with waves and wind and the whole shebang. Got it that would be fun I think.

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

simulator with waves and wind and the whole shebang. Got it that would be fun I think.

yes! 

there are single player games like that. but i would definitely play multiplayer

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
28 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

Japanese destroyers and cruisers could reload torps, USN could not. You could set for fast torpedoes or long range - the range was determined by how fast the torp went and how fast it burned fuel. The long lance had a range of 40 km at 36 knots. They were also fired at an offset set on a gyroscope - the tubes did not aim like a gun. 

Hydro would not work if you were going faster than 12 knots or so.

It would have to be a 3d game. Naval gunnary had to factor in the curvature of the Earth if you fired more than a few kilometers out.

I would not play. I have played hard core navy sims and they are boring. A submarine attack often took 2 days to line up the shot. Really a lot of nothing going on in an engagement

• Cool 1

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I would not play. I have played hard core navy sims and they are boring. A submarine attack often took 2 days to line up the shot. Really a lot of nothing going on in an engagement

That is mostly because they set in the open world environment. Still need some boundaries of the maps to promote engagement

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles

I think it would be nice to try out.

Heck, any kind of different game mode would help wows. (it could be in private rooms, just anything)

Edited by MrDeaf

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

and here I thought 20 mins was a long game.... Waiting days for the ships to get in range, adding radar guidance to the artillery, the ships movement, the actual ocean acting on the ship,the wind acting on the shells, the curvature of the earth, the mathematics involved would make this game boring to the regular player. To make This a simulation or Hard core like you say is not even close to start on,  let alone provide it to a very small audience of mathletes. It would be Cost Prohibitive. This version of WoWs is what WG wanted. short decisive battle play with almost historical ships. Fun & Engaging.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
28 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

That is mostly because they set in the open world environment. Still need some boundaries of the maps to promote engagement

If you are sailing 25 knots, and the enemy is sailing 22 knots, and you have to close 10 miles to be in range, it will take several hours.

At the Battle of Java Sea, one of the very few fleet engagements in WW2 with no planes, well, the B17s missed everything by a mile, from the time the Japanese convoy spotted the USN fleet, the two heavy IJN cruisers lagging in the rear were able to close the 140 kilometers they were behind before the USN could open fire.

The USN ships had to make several 90 degree course adjustments to avoid torpedoes, which far outranged the guns even of a modern battleship

Unless you plop the ships on top of each other in range, it is a slow motion process

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

If you are sailing 25 knots, and the enemy is sailing 22 knots, and you have to close 10 miles to be in range, it will take several hours.

something wrong with your math. closing in speed is 47 kts, means 10 n.m. will be passed in just 7.8 minutes

Edited by Citrusss

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

something wrong with your math. closing in speed is 47 kts, means 10 n.m. will be passed in just 7.8 minutes

Mathlete's game and who in reality would want to play 7.8 mins just to do more math? on first salvo or torpedo launch..... then again for the second... so on so on.... and if your math is correct and you manage to sink your enemy then you have to do math again to find another ship and then do even more math to plot your course. by the time your done 1 hour has gone by and in WoWs your on your third battle.

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
3 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Mathlete's game and who in reality would want to play 7.8 mins just to do more math? on first salvo or torpedo launch..... then again for the second... so on so on.... and if your math is correct and you manage to sink your enemy then you have to do math again to find another ship and then do even more math to plot your course. by the time your done 1 hour has gone by and in WoWs your on your third battle.

well, real rate of fire is somewhat close to WOWs for certain ships. so close combat will be about the same. but long range is going to be far smarter. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
16 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

If they are sailing away closing speed is 3 knots

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
Just now, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

If they are sailing away closing speed is 3 knots

true. and as i mentioned above, the maps should be limited in size to avoid endless matches. but I think this should be the only "arcade" limitation

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

well, real rate of fire is somewhat close to WOWs for certain ships. so close combat will be about the same. but long range is going to be far smarter. 

Try this in a random Battle Cover your mini Map. turn off ship identifiers. that is hardcore.  if you survive the battle then maybe you might have a good idea. not knowing where the enemy is  and what your up against makes for a very boring game of cat and mouse. 

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
3 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Try this in a random Battle Cover your mini Map. turn off ship identifiers. that is hardcore.  if you survive the battle then maybe you might have a good idea. not knowing where the enemy is  and what your up against makes for a very boring game of cat and mouse. 

you are completely missing the point here attributing simulation to lack of UI. 

1. Viewfinders, radars, gyroscopes, radios, maps etc. are not just a WOWs thing, this was a real equipment. 

2. Knowing who to shoot is easy when teams are not mixed with rival ships. E.g. if I sail a RN ship of any era I will know that USN are allies and KMS are enemies, and this can be easily identified by silhouette at about the same time by both ships. Also gives interesting options in communications.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
1 minute ago, Citrusss said:

you are completely missing the point here attributing simulation to lack of UI. 

1. Viewfinders, radars, gyroscopes, radios, maps etc. are not just a WOWs thing, this was a real equipment. 

2. Knowing who to shoot is easy when teams are not mixed with rival ships. E.g. if I sail a RN ship of any era I will know that USN are allies and KMS are enemies, and this can be easily identified by silhouette at about the same time by both ships. Also gives interesting options in communications.

Radios weren't used, radio silence was observed in battle. Semaphores my friend, no teamspeak

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
7 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Radios weren't used, radio silence was observed in battle. Semaphores my friend, no teamspeak

yes, and for a good reason. but that reason, mostly, non existent in a limited map size engagement. 

Members
2,900 posts
1,365 battles

Id love a less [edited] version of WOWS.  One where fire acts like it would, burning up stuff on the decks, rather then burning the whole ship to the ground,  where DCP and RP are passive, always active systems working to put the ship back together all the time.  Where, yeah, if were gunna scale ranges, then scale pen back so armor and immunity zones work.  Where citadel hits are just equal to wrecking the engine, instead of loldeleted.  Where DD and CA had rudder shift times like thye would and not rudder shifts where htey basically skirt around like hover cars. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
2 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

yes, and for a good reason. but that reason, mostly, non existent in a limited map size engagement. 

Also because the actress Heddy Lamar had not yet invented spread spectrum radio theory and if you spoke on an open channel the enemy can hear your orders, unless you encode the message and then decode it which has a huge lag

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

ok and you say with all this equipment available in ww1 and ww2 How did the British Lose the Bismark?  How did the scharnhorst and geise escape the detection of the entire British navy during the run through the english channel. How did the Bismark and prinz eugen sail all those miles of open water to the Denmark straight? turn off your mini map line of site was the only dependable means of naval combat during ww1 and ww2 Intelligence was compiled and sent to the captains and the captains used best guess of intercept. this type of game play you suggest is not doable in the current meta of WoWs. the changes you suggest would require a total redo of everything but the ships drawings. Cost Prohibitive.... A whole new game would need to be designed from the ground up. Although your Idea has merit  WG couldn't begin to go there with this game still in Beta for the last two years plus all the time invested in closed Beta. and  Alpha testing. then the time in concept engineering. the company has too much invested in the game as is and to redesign it for a new mode won't happen.