Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
centarina

Clan mass drop match and some observation.

15 comments in this topic

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

yes, I am celebrating breast cancer awareness.    At anyrate, this was first time I was in a match where clan did a mass drop.        we had 6 on our side and 8 on the red team.     It was fun being in such a match, but it was still a roll over.  :D         biggest thing that won it for us was the fact that   myself and 2 cruisers plus kiev on my side managed to push a flank and got on their side .   This put the red team on reactive mode and it was all she wrote.    I think   having "good" team doesn't mean there won't be a roll over.    red team had higher ranked players and more divisions, but  couldn't  stop the roll over.      this probably means that having  skill based MM won't mean end to roll overs.    

am I wrong?

shot-17.09.06_20.34.33-0633.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

The one hilarious thing I did during a sync-drop...  after I was dead.

And so I'm riding this torpedo spread up to one of my clan-mates -- and we're talking through teamspeak...   and I'm being distracting as hell, "What's the range on those guns?"..

Suddenly, his mood changes..  wonder why??   Laughed my rudder off.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

Skill based MM is not about eliminating rollovers, it's about eliminating the massively unbalanced matches where one side is predestined to steamroll the other. Those are two totally different things. 

And rank and number of divisions means nothing in determining skill. The ranked game mode doesn't distinguish skill based on rank number and you have just as many unskilled players in divisions as skilled players. 

• Cool 4

[TBW]
Members
6,323 posts
11,883 battles

I think roll overs are caused more by RNG than any thing else. Was just in a battle with the Bismarck, secondary build with manual captains skill. marked a DD as it was going behind an island. when he came out from behind the Island Secondaries opened up at the same time I sent a full salvo of AP. Blamo and First Blood, Devastating Strike and Close Quarters Expert. He said he had a det flag on. Within 30 seconds two more red team gone and it was a steam roller from there. It is just kind of like real war though. Thems that get lucky first win.

Members
191 posts
10,359 battles

Some time ago, MechWarrior Online changed to a skill based match maker. It did nothing to stop rolls. And having more than 3 peeps synch into your match guarantees no roll either. I've been on both sides of that experience many times. (Synch dropping I think is more common than the anti-synch'ers probably know). Anyway it would be great to have full teams of one's clan, no matter the count, it could be 5 v 5, 6 v 6, whatever as long as it's all my peeps with me, I'm happy. 

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,109 battles

seems like now every match is one team just straight steamrolls the other.  Only a few lately have been almost ties and heavy contested to the end.

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles

once been in a clan drop where all 3 divisions landed on the same team (9 people perfectly communication with each other). that was a slaughter. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

there has been fair amount of thread asking for skill based MM to reduce roll overs.    I do agree that it isn't the panacea that people think it is.      Division of good players definitely can affect outcome.  But  as long as that is somewhat balanced between the team, it is less of an issue.  I do think roll over occurs when one side can create a mismatch.     That creating mismatch is key if you want better WR.   this usually takes quiet a bit of initiative and bit of luck.    been having good luck using donskois radar lately for cruisers for example.   at lower tier,  just being good can really shift the odd due to higher number of novice players. 

it was fun experience  and I always seem to do better when red team has good players.     I am slow so that if   they are on my side, I don't do well.  :D

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,761 battles
2 hours ago, VGLance said:

Skill based MM is not about eliminating rollovers, it's about eliminating the massively unbalanced matches where one side is predestined to steamroll the other. Those are two totally different things. 

Marry me Lance.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
5 hours ago, SalvoSanta said:

Marry me Lance.

LOL if that's all it took to fall in love, Valentine's Day must be a very expensive holiday for you. ;p

Sorry I have to respectfully decline, someone beat you to it...

Spoiler

• Cool 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
17 minutes ago, VGLance said:

LOL if that's all it took to fall in love, Valentine's Day must be a very expensive holiday for you. ;p

Hide contents

It seems like you're a fan of alliteration.

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,761 battles
14 hours ago, VGLance said:

Reveal hidden contents

Slight hyperbole on my part but its rare to find someone in this setting who has reasonable and justified opinions that i agree with. 

[FORM]
Members
253 posts
4,790 battles
23 hours ago, VGLance said:

And rank and number of divisions means nothing in determining skill. The ranked game mode doesn't distinguish skill based on rank number and you have just as many unskilled players in divisions as skilled players. 

15 hours ago, VGLance said:

Hide contents

Two +1s and awesome video!

Edited by SeaBreeze_

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

while ranked and skill doesn't correlate 100%,  there is still a correlation .         Sounds like we have a desperate_winter here  :cap_yes:   please, this is not a proposing thread.  

Sign in to follow this