You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Binkley

Back to Basics: Cruisers ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

31 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,388 battles

This Back to Basics - Cruiser mission is driving me nuts.  I finished the DD mission on the first try, but this cruiser mission just is not working for me at all.  I'll get 6 fires, 7 fires, but that 8th is just not coming.  Atlanta, Indianapolis, Molotov, Cleaveland, Kutuzov, Graf Spee....  Add flags... make sure I have a captain with pyro.  It's just not working.

Anyone got any suggestions.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
104 posts
1,936 battles

Get in your Atlanta and division up with someone with a Belfast. Have them push in a little with you and pop smoke. Sit in smoke and change up ships you set on fire. Soon as you set one shoot another and keep cycling that way. Easy way to get 10+ in one battle.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

First try with Atago - DE and both flags - 11 fires 130K and a Kraken.

Stay at range, pound the BBs - hang in there, It'll happen!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,387 battles

Don't forget there's always PvE. Did it in PvE in the Marblehead on like the second try.

Members
23 posts
5,594 battles

Interesting choice, Pikohan.  That's exactly what I did - chose a PvE battle and sailed with the Marblehead!

Got it on the very first try.  Just loaded high explosive and shot at everything that presented itself to me with wild abandon.  Just managed to get the 8th fire started a few seconds before the match ended.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

This Back to Basics - Cruiser mission is driving me nuts.  I finished the DD mission on the first try, but this cruiser mission just is not working for me at all.  I'll get 6 fires, 7 fires, but that 8th is just not coming.  Atlanta, Indianapolis, Molotov, Cleaveland, Kutuzov, Graf Spee....  Add flags... make sure I have a captain with pyro.  It's just not working.

One mission in my Southern Dragon in Coop.  Easy.  And I am not that good.

[SIMP]
Members
818 posts
8,219 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

Use a belfast...

Seriously, I loaded my IJN cruiser up with fire flags etc... couldn't start a fire to save my life...4 or 5 battles, 4 was the max... I have no idea wth was up.

1 battle in my belfast with flags... half the chance of a fire right... this shouldn't work right...

10+ fires... easy peasy...

[FUR1A]
[FUR1A]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,604 posts
5,323 battles

I did it with Ibuki. May be I should try CoOp because in random it was hard.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Did it in Yorck in Randoms. Wasn't too bad at all. If that failed I would have likely gone Henri.

[FML]
Members
1,626 posts
9,879 battles

I tried doing this mission in ransoms with my Leander and Fiji to no effect. It was actually really hard to get more than three fires with my secondaries in a match. 

Did it second random battle in my Algerie; first battle got 7 fires but couldn't get the last one to light...

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I have made a few attempts at it, and have hit 7 fires several times.  That 8th one is eluding me, as well.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
14,635 battles

first try in a Kuma

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

Was super easy to complete in Belfast, if you have one.

Shocking you couldn't finish it in Kutuzov.  She likes to watch the world burn.

[OPG]
Members
3,881 posts
5,476 battles
9 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

Try and spread out your fires as much as possible.  Don't shoot at targets that are already on fire, if you see a ship use damage con, switch to another target for a few salvos before coming back, and if you are shooting at a ship that's already burning try and aim for sections of the ship that are not already on fire.  

*I'd also recommend sticking with the Kutuzov for this one.  

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,388 battles
9 hours ago, pikohan said:

Don't forget there's always PvE. Did it in PvE in the Marblehead on like the second try.

8 hours ago, RenamedUser_1018007003 said:

Interesting choice, Pikohan.  That's exactly what I did - chose a PvE battle and sailed with the Marblehead!

Got it on the very first try.  Just loaded high explosive and shot at everything that presented itself to me with wild abandon.  Just managed to get the 8th fire started a few seconds before the match ended.

Took your advice and took the Marblehead into Co-Op.  Took me a couple tries, but eventually got a 10 fire game.

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,930 battles

I got it first try with the Cleveland and no flags. DE is offset by IFHE. Next day, I got another 9-fire game in the Pensacola with one flag and DE. Both games set a DD on fire for zero fire damage. (The Pensacola got a first blood with 25 HP of damage done. I may have held that shot had I seen that.)

I haven't kept track, I was surprised enough at the Pensacola game to take notice. 

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

DE+IFHE+Flags+Belfast = Salty Colorado and New Mexico players and a mission complete

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I agree this mission sucks.  Granted I am not a great cruiser player, but I am consistently getting 5 per game and the occasional 6.  Played Random and Coop.  Ran my Mogami, DeGrasse,, and Cleve.  Coop seems to suck because there are rarely any BB's and the games end really fast.  Random is ok,  but it seems with the new HM BB's and everyone else trying to set fires it is hard to find something not already burning to the ground to shoot at.    I think if you got into this mission early on it would have been easier.  Now the "creep" has set in and EVERYONE is out there trying for it.   Hard to get a non burning target to shoot at.  Even in Coop right out of the gate people are saying..  Just here for fires...

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I had a pretty epic game with a stock Roon in Random, and managed to get 9 fires to complete the mission.  Figures, once I quit trying to complete it, I completed it.