You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grathew

Odd choice in CVs

19 comments in this topic

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,833 battles

Since Graf Zeppelin was sold I've pretty much only played CVs and I've noticed that I have only been playing Kaga and Hiryu. I have all of the IJN carriers from Ryujo to Hakuryu,  some of the USN carriers (Bogue, Sapian, Enterprise, Lexington and Essex) and Graf Zeppelin but I've been gravitating to Hiryu and Kaga. Not sure why I've suddenly neglected the rest, got me thinking though and frankly I'm stumped by why I only seem to play Kaga and Hiryu. Do you all have a carrier or two that you play way more than the others that you have in your port, and any reason if you know? 

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,352 battles

I have shoukaku, but I can definitely say that it was at hiryu where I shined the best out of any of my ships, it just seems like such a balanced CV, and looking at reviews of kaga, that one is obvious.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

Enterprise and Kaga have all my carrier time at the moment. Hiryu, Independence, and Saipan have some but Hiryu feels like the end of the line for me Shokaku isn't much of an improvement over Hiryu for the fact you must now face tier ten AA.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

I play my Ryujo way more than my Shokaku, even though I'm so close to getting the Taiho. The Ryujo is just so good at her tier.

• Cool 1

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,833 battles
16 minutes ago, megadeux said:

I have shoukaku, but I can definitely say that it was at hiryu where I shined the best out of any of my ships, it just seems like such a balanced CV, and looking at reviews of kaga, that one is obvious.

Yah although games like this can still happen dispute the carrier you are in.

shot-17_09.06_17_40.26-0581.thumb.jpg.3f2775a3a7fa2208ec312b74f82c0261.jpg

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,352 battles

really? Well darn, that beats my best game ever played by a good 40k. Hey, since you've played all the way up IJN CVs can you help me with shoukaku? I'm averaging 24k with that ship, and I'm having a really rough time with T-10 Matchmaking.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,833 battles
47 minutes ago, megadeux said:

really? Well darn, that beats my best game ever played by a good 40k. Hey, since you've played all the way up IJN CVs can you help me with shoukaku? I'm averaging 24k with that ship, and I'm having a really rough time with T-10 Matchmaking.

Sure, although with out watching you play I'm not sure what advice I can give. Are you fully upgraded? As that helped me with the tier 10 matchmaking. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles

Air Supremacy Langley and Hosho in Co-op, sometimes Air Supremacy Bogue or Zuiho in Co-op.

Air Supremacy Ryujo in Operations; because for whatever reason; I can't seem to get anything else to work in Ops.

Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles

Don't feel bad with no WoWS time lately my only "Carrier time" has been spent with a pair of Styx class grand heavy cruisers. 

Edited by StoneRhino

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
9 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Don't feel bad with no WoWS time lately my only "Carrier time" has been spent with a pair of Styx class grand cruisers. 

Those are heavy cruisers, grand cruisers are ancient battlecruisers that are far more scary and powerful then their modern kin :Smile_Default:

Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
1 hour ago, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

Those are heavy cruisers, grand cruisers are ancient battlecruisers that are far more scary and powerful then their modern kin :Smile_Default:

Your right, I remembered wrong, thought they were cruiser/10 in the table top but only 8 hp and called "Heavy Cruiser". Armada classes them as a battle cruisers and confused myself; ty.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Strike Hiryu is my favorite ship, as it can handle almost anything it sees. The surface ships that can give it trouble are the Neptune, Atlanta, Iowa, Missouri, and some North Carolinas and Alabamas. Facing other CVs it's almost all about the player, and even then, of equal skill, the Hiryu will only struggle against the Saipan.

And at tier 7, you're less likely to be bottom tier, and when you are, there's usually only a couple tier 9s. Dealing with tier 8 AA isn't much of an issue, as there aren't really any great t8 AA cruisers, and if there are, they're played so rarely I have forgotten about their existence.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,352 battles
14 hours ago, Grathew said:

Sure, although with out watching you play I'm not sure what advice I can give. Are you fully upgraded? As that helped me with the tier 10 matchmaking. 

I am fully upgraded except for my Dbs which seem to be holding up well, I would upgrade them but I'm cheap and saving up for the mogami. Most of my trouble comes from the fact that lone wolf play seems to have disappeared once I hit tier 8. Most of the enemy teams group up into massive clusters of aa and I'm not sure what to do about it. Otherwise I think I'm doing everything right, my strafes are doing a lot of damage and my manual drops are mostly on par (that is, when my squadrons actually live to drop their ordnance.

i really should enable replays but it's a lot of work to enable.

Edited by megadeux

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
57 minutes ago, megadeux said:

I am fully upgraded except for my Dbs which seem to be holding up well, I would upgrade them but I'm cheap and saving up for the mogami. Most of my trouble comes from the fact that lone wolf play seems to have disappeared once I hit tier 8. Most of the enemy teams group up into massive clusters of aa and I'm not sure what to do about it. Otherwise I think I'm doing everything right, my strafes are doing a lot of damage and my manual drops are mostly on par (that is, when my squadrons actually live to drop their ordnance.

T8 CVs do get bottom tier'd a lot. I wonder if MM prefers having Al ship types represented, it would make sense. Combine that with the lack of t9 and 10 CV play and there you go.

As far as how to play Shokaku when the enemies all grouped up, focus on your Fighters and scouting while that's going on. It won't last forever, it can't. And when they do break up you should have enough bombers actually do something.

If that doesn't get you going, then maybe go back to Hiryu and work on hitting ships that are grouped up, in a more forgiving environment. Anything to help you work better under pressure.

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
14 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

Your right, I remembered wrong, thought they were cruiser/10 in the table top but only 8 hp and called "Heavy Cruiser". Armada classes them as a battle cruisers and confused myself; ty.

Don't worry about it, your not wrong though. Grand Cruisers did have 10hp in the tabletop and the Styx did have 8hp and classed as heavy cruisers but the Armada game shifted them around. Probably for balance reasons as chaos doesn't actually have battle cruisers aside from the few grand cruisers still out there so they needed something to fill the void that wouldn't be akin to a battleship so chaos players wouldn't be floating around with "two"+ battleships per match.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
4 hours ago, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

Don't worry about it, your not wrong though. Grand Cruisers did have 10hp in the tabletop and the Styx did have 8hp and classed as heavy cruisers but the Armada game shifted them around. Probably for balance reasons as chaos doesn't actually have battle cruisers aside from the few grand cruisers still out there so they needed something to fill the void that wouldn't be akin to a battleship so chaos players wouldn't be floating around with "two"+ battleships per match.

Astartes get to do it lol. And not worried more surprised that someone not only knew what I was talking about but saw my mistake.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,833 battles
23 hours ago, megadeux said:

So the thing I learned the hard way on Shokaku was to kill the DD first. It's not easy but when you are bottom tiered take out those destroyers first. As it clears the way for your own DD to break up the hostile blob with stealth torpedoes. Similarly you have enough alpha to take out a good chunk of every battleship in the game with the 8 torpedoes, as you can do about a 50-60k alpha on anything other than Yamato and Alabama. Assuming you land them, so it then comes down to landing them on those battleships. So if you see a loner battleship hit it, the earlier the better as a battleship who lost 50k five minutes in will help your team a lot. Also yah solo play is mostly gone at tier 8 and up but in the beginning of the match when the cruisers and destroyers are pushing forward the battleships are often less protected due to their lack of speed, so hit them as early as possible. Even if you only get two or three torpedoes into that Yamato early if it floods and you then set a fire with dive bombs after the DC you can cripple that ship early. But isolated ships aren't the normal case. 

Thus I've found two strategies that work for me against the AA blob, first is skirt the edges of the map and attack from the opposite side your team is attacking from. Usually catches the hostile ships off guard however you risk being discovered by the carrier and intercepted, however if you do it right you shouldn't have as much AA to fly though on the way in. After the drop turns yellow give them a waypoint on the other side of the AA and they should fly right over the hostile fleet without stopping, then order them to return to the carrier to limit the number lost due to loitering in the AA space.

The second is harder to use with Shokaku but far easier with Taiho, Hakuryu and oddly enough Kaga. I remember what I think is a British saying "A bomber will always get though." With 12 torpedo bombers and 7 - 12 dive bombers you can overwhelm any solo or pair of ships regardless antiaircraft defences, now there is a upper limit on the AA fire you can just push though so two USN cruisers or RN cruisers but that's common sense. I judge ships on how scary are they to me and put it on a scale, for example two Yamatos are roughly equal to a New Orleans or a Bismark with manual AA control. It's not a firm rule so I would recommend determining it for yourself and what your bombers can survive.  

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, StoneRhino said:

Astartes get to do it lol. And not worried more surprised that someone not only knew what I was talking about but saw my mistake.

It balances out in the end cause for what ever reason those imperial dogs like to sacrifice their irreplaceable battleships instead of sacrificing the ships that they can build more of. Good to hear, Its part of being in a fan base, share tales and educate/help others without being a jerk about it. Plus talking about 40k stuff gets me a raging brainer so I have to put my two cents and hopefully offending no one in the process :Smile_Default:

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna