You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
viceroy_xerxes

DDs and Cruisers with fire hoses

19 comments in this topic

[-SD-]
Members
14 posts
5,075 battles

I understand back in WW2 it was common for a DD to take down a BB with main guns by setting it on fire. We all know the BBs were made of wood and carried all their fuel and ammo on deck encased in crates lined with nitroglycerin. But even in the WW2 documentaries we saw DD's coming to the aid of ship on fire with fire hoses. What about adding ability for dd's and cruisers to help put out fires on CV's and BB's. It was a common thing that was done and may encourage more teamplay. Plus they plan on taking ability to fire invisible when smoked away from BB's 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles

Your statement concerning fuel and ammo is incorrect.

I believe only AA ammo was stored top side.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
13 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Early on, the Royal Navy kept their cordite stores on deck and in the open iirc. It was quickly fixed as early reasons for Hood detonating was those getting lit on fire and exploding. Edit: Checked and this is not accurate.

Members
1,779 posts
5,641 battles

During a battle no ship would stop and hose down another ship. They would not even pick up survives for fear of sub torpedoes. A stopped ship during a battle is a dead ship. maybe 3 to 5 days later they would come back if the area was secure. So in a running battle this would not be practical. :cap_rambo:

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

Just save your dmg con if you only have 1 fire burning, end of discussion.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles

It's common for ships (especially harbor tugs and fire boats) to spray their water canons for harbor events and yes, ships did do that for each other in case of fire. If they are going to make that mechanic though, they should also make it so you can rescue survivors from sunk ships, at the same time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles
17 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I think that was an attempt at sarcasm from a BBaby that can't manage to figure out fire management. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles
5 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Just save your dmg con if you only have 1 fire burning, end of discussion.

It would be great if a BB was going to burn to death, if other ships could help put the fire out faster, so it can survive.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
36 minutes ago, viceroy_xerxes said:

We all know the BBs were made of wood and carried all their fuel and ammo on deck encased in crates lined with nitroglycerin.

Actually that was only British BB's, only at Jutland, and only once.

37 minutes ago, viceroy_xerxes said:

Plus they plan on taking ability to fire invisible when smoked away from BB's

No, they just plan on giving them a realistic detection range when firing from smoke, big difference.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,476 battles
14 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's common for ships (especially harbor tugs and fire boats) to spray their water canons for harbor events and yes, ships did do that for each other in case of fire. If they are going to make that mechanic though, they should also make it so you can rescue survivors from sunk ships, at the same time.

Hmmm, kinda like the Dunkirk scenario? :)

9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No, they just plan on giving them a realistic detection range when firing from smoke, big difference.

And in a way that doesn't completely hose the DDs like the previous smoke nerf proposal.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

And in a way that doesn't completely hose the DDs like the previous smoke nerf proposal.

Yes, that IS amazing!

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles
4 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Hmmm, kinda like the Dunkirk scenario? :)

Like that and you make more points then, maybe you would have to survive the battle to get them though, because if you rescue them and get sunk before you get back to port, they are in the same predicament anyway.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,322 posts
14,695 battles
42 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

During a battle no ship would stop and hose down another ship. They would not even pick up survives for fear of sub torpedoes. A stopped ship during a battle is a dead ship. maybe 3 to 5 days later they would come back if the area was secure. So in a running battle this would not be practical. :cap_rambo:

Disagree, if there was an break in action fleet support could be valuable.  Course, it is dangerous as USS Hammann found out.  The reward would have to be worth the risk.

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

Sounds like a cool idea. I would want it tried out in scenarios before any implementation in PvP.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles

I cannot find any reference to US battleships storing main gun or secondary ammunition above decks during combat.

As far as fuel is concerned, I believe all oil storage tanks are below deck.

If someone has a reference to enlighten my ignorance, please let me know.

I'm only referring to WWII era, as I'm not a fan of earlier history.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

I had a similar idea, although it's more to do with buffing the ships in the near vicinity.