You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Perth Smoke Nerf

34 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,590 battles

In Ranked Battles especially, we noticed players preferred passive play and and either set their smokescreens too early or tried to wait their enemies out. We took your feedback into account, and started working on smoke mechanics. We're aware this is a core game mechanic and approached it diligently. After many tests, we'd like you to test the new smokescreen mechanics, which are unlikely to influence performance of the ships equipped with Smoke Generators, and balanced according to this consumable. The change should only affect close and medium-range battles.

Currently, a ship firing from within a smokescreen was totally invisible and could be detected only in the range of assured acquisition (2km standard, 3km if a Target Acquisition System Modification 1 was mounted,)  and by Surveillance Radar or Hydroacoustic Search.

With the new mechanic, a ship that fires her main caliber guns is easier to spot or detect by enemy ships, while aircraft still cannot detect her. Her new detectability parameter depend on her class and main battery caliber. The average detectability range is 2.5km for destroyers, 5.9km for cruisers, and 13.6km for battleships, and the ships can be detected over 20 seconds from firing.

This is going to require a change of game play. I typically close within 8.6 km then turn on the smoke and you are safe from detection since your using the crawling smoke. Now, you detected at 6km and 20 seconds when you fire. It nerfs the Perth's main advatage. You now have a narrow engagement range of 9-12 km or up to 15 if using spotter.

So play the Perth while it lasts boys.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,836 battles

Play the Public Test and see how smoke will affect British CL. Expect Perth to be the same outcome. I am worried they'll lose effectiveness in smoke.

• Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

Have to say, I don't particularly like the changes, especially for cruisers. It would need buffs.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
3 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

What is the source for the quote? (Not arguing, just want to know)

The update notes. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/pt0611/

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Leander and Perth is only 4.5km.

Edited by Goose21891
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
12 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Thanks Goose, I was just about to call that up and post that.

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,590 battles
6 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Well, 4.5 km is good to know. But the problem is still going to be when you continuously fire  inside the smoke, Since you are now in effect visible for 20 seconds from the last time you fired. All you need at this point is to have a DD close in to spot for everyone. It is limited now since a DD can be picked up and eliminated long before anyone can zero in on you. Now, there is a 20 second window fro being spotted by a ship that everyone can spot you. There goes sneak capping. The only time now to use smoke is if you're running. Remember the Perth traded the heal with the rolling smoke screen. Since it's now nerfed, it will be a nerfed Leander. Plus it nefs the RCL line. Whether or not WG though this through. I have no idea.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
32 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Well, 4.5 km is good to know. But the problem is still going to be when you continuously fire  inside the smoke, Since you are now in effect visible for 20 seconds from the last time you fired. All you need at this point is to have a DD close in to spot for everyone. It is limited now since a DD can be picked up and eliminated long before anyone can zero in on you. Now, there is a 20 second window fro being spotted by a ship that everyone can spot you. There goes sneak capping. The only time now to use smoke is if you're running. Remember the Perth traded the heal with the rolling smoke screen. Since it's now nerfed, it will be a nerfed Leander. Plus it nefs the RCL line. Whether or not WG though this through. I have no idea.

As I understand it, assuming you are inside the creeping smoke cloud, Perth will be visible at 4.5 km when she fires.  Not at ... whatever her gun range is.  So as long as you are at least 5 km from the bad guys, you're still hidden in the smoke.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,420 posts

Unfortunately it's the price you pay when a Premium is doing too well and WG need to nerf it....without nerfing it - bring on the global change!

I don't think this is too bad a change and I guess they have attempted to limit the impact regarding the lesser range for detection with the RN Cruisers. I'm sure they will also monitor how those ships do and give a buff if needed in future....like they did with the DDs and the introduction of the new bloom system when they removed OWSF, I mean, how many DDs do you see at the bottom of the survival stats. :Smile_smile:

I guess the Cruisers will also need to overcome the 20 second bloom like the DDs had to; like I say, I'm sure WG wont let a certain class or individual ship stay at the bottom of the pile for long; balance is the goal. :Smile_honoring:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It nerfs the Perth's main advatage.

If you listen closely, you will hear the sound of no tears falling.

1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You now have a narrow engagement range of 9-12 km or up to 15 if using spotter.

You are complaining about a 3 K firing window? Imagine my concern.

56 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I don't particularly like the changes, especially for cruisers.

33 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

There goes sneak capping.

Followed by the sound of no hearts breaking.

34 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Now, there is a 20 second window fro being spotted by a ship that everyone can spot you

So now you will have to play by the same detection mechanics as everyone else; I see why you are complaining.

I warned everyone about this when they removed invisifire; that smoke would go next because BB players didn't like anyone to ever be able to shoot at them without them being able to shoot back. Get used to it; you remember, like you've been telling DD players to do for 2 years.

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,590 battles
3 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

As I understand it, assuming you are inside the creeping smoke cloud, Perth will be visible at 4.5 km when she fires.  Not at ... whatever her gun range is.  So as long as you are at least 5 km from the bad guys, you're still hidden in the smoke.

Well, I can try and stay outside of 5, but no guarantee it will stay that way. I've had CA's and DD's charging me before trying to spot me. Now? It'll be more certain that if they spot me, I'll be visible for the next 20 seconds to everyone in range. Remember, If your spotted by one ship,  you'll be spotted by everyone else.Hello focus fire. Worse situation to any RCL cruiser sitting in the smoke. At least I'll be a moving target. They'll be sitting ducks.

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,590 battles
32 minutes ago, Umikami said:

So now you will have to play by the same detection mechanics as everyone else; I see why you are complaining.

I warned everyone about this when they removed invisifire; that smoke would go next because BB players didn't like anyone to ever be able to shoot at them without them being able to shoot back. Get used to it; you remember, like you've been telling DD players to do for 2 years.

Which is funny because they're trying to cull the BB population and they just nerfed an entire CL line. Does the right hand know what the left is doing in WG?

• Cool 2

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,561 battles

I mean, what would be the point of hydro rushing smokes? German DDs will lose their advantage they have over other DDs.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
5 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Well, I can try and stay outside of 5, but no guarantee it will stay that way. I've had CA's and DD's charging me before trying to spot me. Now? It'll be more certain that if they spot me, I'll be visible for the next 20 seconds to everyone in range. Remember, If your spotted by one ship,  you'll be spotted by everyone else.Hello focus fire. Worse situation to any RCL cruiser sitting in the smoke. At least I'll be a moving target. They'll be sitting ducks.

That's certainly true, I'm simply pointing out that you won't be visible to everyone in firing range, until someone gets within 5 km.  Sure it is an adjustment, but let's not write the ship off.  Could be worse, they could have used their first idea...

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
5 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Which is funny because they're trying to cull the BB population and they just nerfed an entire CL line. Does the right hand know what the left is doing in WG?

You have 8 K plus battles here; I do not need to answer that question for you.

(but I will; hell no it doesn't!)

[CUTER]
Members
672 posts
18,508 battles

This is likely going to lead to less support for DDs contesting caps from Light Cruisers as they will smartly...not risk their ship.  Furthermore, this will lead to further passive play...why would I want to be detected and deleted while sitting in my tiny smoke bubble.  Too many times I have engaged a BB at 4-6km and it was the only reason I survived the BB encounter.  They think this is nerfing BB camping in smoke, but I fear the other effects will be devastating to the cruiser lines.  Indeed the game will change, and I will play along...for now.

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,538 battles
On 9/6/2017 at 5:16 PM, Khafni said:

Play the Public Test and see how smoke will affect British CL. Expect Perth to be the same outcome. I am worried they'll lose effectiveness in smoke.

Perth is going to have a pretty small window from which it can fire safely.  This change is going to hurt it badly.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,538 battles
On 9/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, Umikami said:

Looks like I'll have to play my Belfast more instead, so I can engage from longer ranges /and/ have radar for any pesky DD's who get close enough to detect me.  This is how we adapt.

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles

NERF PERTH??????' ARE YOU FINE? PERTH IS PERFECT MAN , he need health party as yours beother leander , he has few HP is a cruiser weak!

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,131 battles

Honestly I'll take the 4.5k smoke nerf when almost every other cruiser is averaging around 8km, and BBs are 12+ km.

Any target that comes rushing in to the smoke and gets in 8 KM can enjoy the salvo of single fire torpedoes.

Here's a question though, will Concealment Expert effect this number as well?