You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Can we please have a test server for Mac

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,357 battles

It's not fair that PC players can have easy access to the test server for WoWs but Mac players can't. Why can't a test server for Mac be ported over? Mac users play this game as well and want to test new features, we shouldn't have to use boot camp just to get on a test server. I know people are gonna say just buy a PC but for me and many others macs are better for work and gaming and are much more reliable and better quality. I wish wargaming could at least explain to me why Mac players still don't have a test server client for them. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,052 posts
9,185 battles

"It's not fair that"....PUKE>...:cap_fainting:

Sorry something about that phrase...

Any way yeah totally understandable. The thing is the Test server is not for us it is for WG. If they think they do not have a enough players in testing I am sure they would consider mac if they need the numbers.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,714 battles
42 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I wish wargaming could at least explain to me why Mac players still don't have a test server client for them. 

The most players I ever saw on PTS was just over 1000. How many players will it add if there's a Mac PTS client? Ask yourself if the number justifies the effort.

The one thing I dislike about Mac people is the sense of entitlement. And I code on Mac for living. Seriously. If this matter that much to you, buy a PC or figure out BootCamp.

Edited by chewonit

[-K-]
Members
642 posts
8,560 battles

Play the game on something that isn't a potato.

Edited by MrEndeavour

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
51 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

macs are better for work and gaming and are much more reliable and better quality.

I mean for work maybe I mean windows still kills it in the office department IMO, but some stuff is better on mac. Gaming however no, as PC's are often more powerful and able to run most games smoother (See why you have to run a wrapper for ships on Mac) and often those computers even if they are high end customs are often cheaper than an equivalent mac.

Spoiler

Just for the joke.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,323 battles

It's possible to play on the test server with a Mac. It's just not as simple and requires you to do some work. This thread has the info to DIY it if you care that much. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,808 battles

Let me put this to you mathematically: Fairness is not equal to nor greater than profit. Become profitable or continue to suffer. End of explanation.

[OKM]
Beta Testers
591 posts
9,587 battles
2 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

It's not fair that PC players can have easy access to the test server for WoWs but Mac players can't. Why can't a test server for Mac be ported over? Mac users play this game as well and want to test new features, we shouldn't have to use boot camp just to get on a test server. I know people are gonna say just buy a PC but for me and many others macs are better for work and gaming and are much more reliable and better quality. I wish wargaming could at least explain to me why Mac players still don't have a test server client for them. 

...said no one ever.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, devastator5000 said:

I mean for work maybe I mean windows still kills it in the office department IMO, but some stuff is better on mac. Gaming however no, as PC's are often more powerful and able to run most games smoother (See why you have to run a wrapper for ships on Mac) and often those computers even if they are high end customs are often cheaper than an equivalent mac.

Actually, the wrapper is just a lazy way to port the game to Mac using wine, I believe.  That's why the Mac port for WoWS is such crap.  It's not truly a port, just the wrapper to run the Windows game in.

Also, WoWS does not require much of a computer.  I run it on high settings 1920x1080, on a 2011 computer, no issues, under Windows 10 Pro.

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,357 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

Actually, the wrapper is just a lazy way to port the game to Mac using wine, I believe.  That's why the Mac port for WoWS is such crap.  It's not truly a port, just the wrapper to run the Windows game in.

Also, WoWS does not require much of a computer.  I run it on high settings 1920x1080, on a 2011 computer, no issues, under Windows 10 Pro.

I can barely run it on low medium graphics and I have a brand new 2017 iMac 4K retina, the optimization is so bad . Most other games I can run them on higher settings but not this one it's so frustrating 

Edited by bubbleboy264

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
Just now, bubbleboy264 said:

I can barely run it on low medium graphics and I have a brand new 2017 iMac 4K retina, the optimization is so bad . Most other games I can run them on higher settings but not this one it's so frustrating 

That's how bad the wrapper is.  You're much better off partitioning your HD and putting Windows on.  If you have any alternative, don't bother with the Mac version.  

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles
7 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Macs are not designed for gaming.  Apple last 'cared' about gamers wayyy back with the Apple II and Apple IIe.  Wrappers are used because it is the only way to make it affordable for the company for a really small player base. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
26 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Macs are not designed for gaming.  Apple last 'cared' about gamers wayyy back with the Apple II and Apple IIe.  Wrappers are used because it is the only way to make it affordable for the company for a really small player base. 

The hardware she has will work fine with 

A) games truly ported to Mac, like Blizzard games, or ESO, for instance.

B) Windows games running on Windows via Bootcamp; i.e. booted to native Windows.   

The hardware is fine.  It's the wrapper that is crap.  However, don't expect WG to make it any better. If you truly wish to play WG titles on your Mac, learn about Bootcamp and get a copy of Windows.  Don't do Parallels, either.

Edited by mavfin87

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,976 battles
1 hour ago, bubbleboy264 said:

You're doing it wrong, then.  I run it on high at 1440p on a 2012 Mac Pro.