You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WanderingGhost

CV fighter damage mechanics and bomb dispersion?

5 comments in this topic

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles

So, these are two things that I understand core concepts, but especially given my want of CV's to be better balanced, I want to understand better the exact workings and meanings of numbers. And if they've been answered before, sorry, my search foo tends to suck, just point me the right way.

My main one is fighters, I can only guess what the ammo numbers actually mean, beyond obviously that one has more ammo than the other. One of those things that, someone has an answer great, but not so much worried as the two main stats for fighter vs fighter combat - HP and DPS. Does this work the same way as AA DPS essentially, DPS/HP=chance to be shot down. If that is the case, are the HP and DPS stats for the group, per plane, or a mix of both? Or is it something of a different mechanic I don't know?

Playing with it the various ways assuming it works like AA, the numbers I get can be weird, Taking Hiryu and Ranger, the numbers as they are, or applied to the group, vs the opposing nation, are fairly even - 3.6% IJN vs 3.9% USN, and 2.4 IJN vs 5.9 USN. Though, these numbers seem low given that's basically chance per second. Though, doing it as DPS is for each plane, with HP being the group total, IJN is 14.6 and USN is 23.8 against the opposing country with 0 modifiers, which given what I see in game for how long dogfights last, and how they usually play out, seems a bit more accurate to how it may work, as well as DPS drop off that seems to happen as planes are lost. However I'm curious if anyone more knowledgeable on these specifics can confirm or deny that's how this works?

Dive bombers, this may come across as a silly question with an obvious answer, what do the dispersion numbers actually mean? Kaga's is 71-177m, Saipan's, 142-355m, Hiryu's is 134-355m. Is the lower number manual drop circle size while the larger is "panicked" dispersion with (at least in most cases except maybe Saipan) the actual normal dispersion somewhere in the middle? Or is the lower number the normal auto drop while larger is panicked with MD being some other number? I recall mention of DB manual drops being a certain percent more accurate but that could have been wrong or a specific ship.

These may be a bit too nitty-gritty for people to know, but figured I'd ask because I know players have figured out various formula's and all that get used. And it's one of those things I really think should be on the wiki when looking at CV mechanics. But given at this point I have the free time, if I post about this kind of stuff and maybe changes to make, I'm kinda tired of just saying things like "Make the USN DB's more accurate" and would rather give more specific numbers and better understand why USN vs IJN fighters, higher tier vs lower tier fighters, seem to be problematic with one usually handily beating the other.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,410 battles

I'm not sure of exactly how fighters work, with regard to how the stats figure in with RNG, but I can answer the dive bomber question.

those are not diameters, those are the dimensions of the drop ellipse , Saipan's are 71 meter x 177 meter, ect... The Graf Zeppelin has a flat 120 meter drop circle on her HE bombs. I don't know if this is manual drop or or automatic though.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

I think ammo loadout is how many seconds a squadron can spend firing their guns. So a loadout of 80 means they can click and engage planes for 80 seconds. Strafing uses much more ammo than the time it takes a squadron to strafe.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
2 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I'm not sure of exactly how fighters work, with regard to how the stats figure in with RNG, but I can answer the dive bomber question.

those are not diameters, those are the dimensions of the drop ellipse , Saipan's are 71 meter x 177 meter, ect... The Graf Zeppelin has a flat 120 meter drop circle on her HE bombs. I don't know if this is manual drop or or automatic though.

With that and looking at circles vs ships, I can see that now, wonder why they used - instead of x to denote that. 

1 hour ago, Treediagram said:

And this is exactly the kinda thing I was looking for for fighters, albeit less a shortcut as the numbers are slightly dated. Then again I had every intent of calculating them all anyway as well as for TB/DB defensive weapons. Kinda wish that thread was pinned that I could have seen it sooner.

2 hours ago, FayFay731 said:

I think ammo loadout is how many seconds a squadron can spend firing their guns. So a loadout of 80 means they can click and engage planes for 80 seconds. Strafing uses much more ammo than the time it takes a squadron to strafe.

Things I'll have to figure out how to test unless someone confirms it. May have to fight some bots to even try, pretty sure they can't strafe to throw off the math.