You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

Help me with the Mahan please

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

I suck with this destroyer. The problem is that the concealment is trash, so when uptiered it's very dangerous to contest caps. Yes, it can stealth torp, but seriously these torps are so slow that they tend to be rather situational, i.e. lobbing them down a chokepoint or a predicted avenue of approach. It's also got less speed than the Farragut, and I'm all out of Sierra Mike flags. Right now I have a 14 pt captain and I'm running PM, AR, LS, SE, and CE. Is there anything I can do to up my Mahan game?

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,464 battles

BFT. You absolutely need this on all DDs (save the IJN, although there are some ships) to make your reload lower. 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

My Mahan has PT, LS, DE, BFT, and CE. I push caps, smoke up friendlies, save my self from shells, and pew pew pew. Oh, and torpedo unsuspecting ships. I have a great time with her.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,510 battles

Mahan is severely gimped by her detection, even though I have 200+% dmg in her, I can't get it above 50% WR.  

But here's my take on this hilarious boat: Use her torps often, you can even wiggle to drop off all 12 sometimes. 

Most important, don't be the 1st one into the cap.  Be the 2nd one. Always have someone in front of you. Also, Mahan kills DDs quite well. 

Fire from your smoke.  Guns are good, smoke is good.  Plan your angle. 

You need SE for the Benson and Fletcher.  BFT is okay after that.  But I might highly consider TAE also. 

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles

I feel the Mahan is the lowest point in the US DD line.  I hated the thing.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,976 posts
5,681 battles
12 minutes ago, Stampz said:

I disliked Nicholas more to be honest.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,451 battles

Mayan has always been the FreeXP boat. 

I ground through it back back when it only had 6.4k torps. 

When bottom tier you at best can only fight delaying actions. Support the stealthier DDs and stay alive until late game. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,451 battles
12 minutes ago, Stampz said:

I went and got pizza when I unlocked the Benson. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,525 battles

She's hilarious when top tier. She does struggle a bit when bottom tier because no access to concealment mod. But I had fun with her.

[SIMP]
Members
818 posts
8,232 battles

I like the Mahan, while gimped from concealment, it is a very capable ship, very flexible with a good torp punch.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
58 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I suck with this destroyer. The problem is that the concealment is trash, so when uptiered it's very dangerous to contest caps. Yes, it can stealth torp, but seriously these torps are so slow that they tend to be rather situational, i.e. lobbing them down a chokepoint or a predicted avenue of approach. It's also got less speed than the Farragut, and I'm all out of Sierra Mike flags. Right now I have a 14 pt captain and I'm running PM, AR, LS, SE, and CE. Is there anything I can do to up my Mahan game?

I've played quite a bit of the Mahan (with the same build you're using) & you're right that the concealment & torp speeds can be a challenge, especially when uptiered.  I also use her torps for area denial & chokepoint luck chucking.

One thing I also do is, the 3 torp launchers allow me to play her like a lower stealth Fubuki w/ an extra torp per launcher.  I send 1 spread along the projected path of a target, the quickly flip the ship & send the other two launchers at the 1 or 2 anticipated reaction paths of the target when he sees my 1st spread.  It works really well if you have the target somewhat boxed so there's only 1 direction the target is likely to move, then you can really deal damage w/ the 2 launcher spread.  Even BBs w/ situational awareness have a hard time coming away from this w/ no damage.

Edited by hangglide42

[SIMP]
Members
818 posts
8,232 battles
1 hour ago, DeliciousFart said:

A question about your skills, why Preventative Maintenance and Adrenaline Rush?

I would think in a DD you would use Priority Target and Last Stand for Tier 1 and 2.

I would think that the ship modules are so fragile that PM is useless and if your HP are getting low enough for AR to start to help, you aren't going to be around long enough to utilize it. One seems useless and the other so situational as to be useless.

Just my thoughts on it.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
3 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

I would think in a DD you would use Priority Target and Last Stand for Tier 1 and 2.

I would think that the ship modules are so fragile that PM is useless and if your HP are getting low enough for AR to start to help, you aren't going to be around long enough to utilize it. One seems useless and the other so situational as to be useless.

Just my thoughts on it.

It's for gunfighting other DDs.

Members
2,274 posts
7,331 battles

I like Mahan, its a good DD when top tier. But as OP said its very bad when botton tier, some DDs have a 1 km concealment over you. When im against T8/9 im never the first to get into a cap, i stay behind a ally DD and help him. 

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
29 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

PT is pretty much a needed, even then as it gives you a clear idea when you scoot and when you don't.

[SIMP]
Members
818 posts
8,232 battles
29 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I wouldn't think the Mahan is a good dogfighter, you are outspotted and that means you don't get the first shot off and are reacting to being spotted first which also hinders its performance.

How is that working for you?

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Well the final build with a 19 pt captain is supposed to be PM, LS, AR, SE, SI, CE, and RPF. RPF is something that came in handy during the last ranked season, but for random games it may not be as useful.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

I used her as the 2nd DD into the fight when possible. I usually div'd up with her and had Cruiser or DD support close. Her MM isn't that bad though, being a 7, and thankfully the Benson can handle most situations at 8.

She can really be summed up as "almost good enough." Her torps and concealment just make her a bit frustrating to play and she requires Zen like forsight to use her torpedoes reliably. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,451 battles
1 hour ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Just my thoughts on it.

I personally use PT and not PM. It's a personal choice. 

AR is fantastic. If you get away on low health in something like a Fletcher torp build you get within spotting distance of a 60 second reload on torps. 

Udaloi or Khab with AR are great as well. 

[RIPQP]
Members
3,706 posts
14,509 battles

I did a grind through Mahan a couple of months ago and found the ship to be a huge upgrade over the Farragut, and a very strong T7 in general. Assess the situation with the enemy DDs at the start and see where, how, and how you can be an influence. Being aggressive very early can often be a mistake that will cripple you for the rest of the match but it can also be a blessing. Smoke yourself + some ally ship(s) and blast away. Torpedoes are just proper. I found BFT + DE to be more valuable than AR + SE shenanigans. Losing HP with this ship to boost your reload is not the way to go.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles

I was gonna save up my freexp and just pass through the rest of mahan and all of benson, lol.   I feel like my sims replaces both of them. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles

Much of its negative rep comes from when it had 6.4km torpedoes as the top torps. 

That was a true POS. No stealth torping, bad stealth, and bad maneuvering.