You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Twiztid_Clown

Carrier Choices

Which one should i get  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which on of these premium carriers should i get

• VII Kaga
    • VII Saipan

16 comments in this topic

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles

Play the US or IJN tech lines.

Decide which line you like more.  Get the premium for that nation.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

Only the two choices? Glad I picked right, lol.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

None of the above. Play the tech tree ships first so you know have at least a basic idea of what you're doing before you jump to T7.

[TASH]
Members
4,993 posts
7,912 battles
33 minutes ago, Twiztid_Clown said:

Please help me choose one of these premium carriers

Kaga.  A neophyte to CVs like you will be more fun and easier to stomp with a strike Ranger than if you were playing a Saipan.

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,303 battles
7 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Kaga.  A neophyte to CVs like you will be more fun and easier to stomp with a strike Ranger than if you were playing a Saipan.

Kaga? For a new CV player? 

No. Just no. He'll get stomped by any opposing CV that isn't a strike Ranger with a quarter of a brain and dumped on by his team since he can effectively do nothing. She has great strike potential, but the fighters might as well be shooting silly string and be made of Styrofoam. 

Saipan is much more potato-proof, even with fewer planes. 

OP, I strongly suggest grinding to T7 tech tree CVs before even considering a premium CV. Since Langley clubbing is gone, a lot of the clubbers moved to T7, so you have a pretty decent probability of running into someone much better than you, and Saipan is the better ship for that. 

EDIT: I just reread your post for what it actually said. I r slow. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

[TASH]
Members
4,993 posts
7,912 battles
4 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Kaga? For a new CV player? 

No. Just no. He'll get stomped by any opposing CV that isn't a strike Ranger with a quarter of a brain and dumped on by his team since he can effectively do nothing. She has great strike potential, but the fighters might as well be shooting silly string and be made of Styrofoam. 

Saipan is much more potato-proof, even with fewer planes. 

Precisely why I recommended it to him.  I'm not usually like my brother when it comes to reacting to potatoes, but I have special disdain for anyone who buys one of the T7 premium carriers without playing any other CVs first.  Especially because both of them can simply shut down a Ranger with no investment of effort or logic.  I can be the best strike Ranger driver on the server, and it won't matter: I effectively lose my purpose in the match if he so much as left-clicks my squads with either CV.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles

None - seriously, do yourself a favor, grind to and at least play a few games in tier 6 before you buy a premium CV. Even good players get :etc_swear: from teams trying to make 3 different demands that can't all be done at once, and as OP as Saipan is, and potato friendly as they say - You bring that not knowing fully what you are doing from experience, not just watching a video and knowing of strafe, you will be 7 kinds of rekt even by a player in stock Ryujo, let alone Kaga, Ranger with fighters or Hiryu. You will be facing mostly long time players and CV mains that will strafe you to oblivion or nuke you with manual drops before you do much of anything. Not to mention not truly understanding target selection, AA avoidance, a nightmare when any tier 7 CV vs tier 9 where even the DD's obliterate planes, or any of the tactics used by CV players. You will likely get tons of hate from your team, you will likely end up frustrated playing against these players where you can do nothing, or just stumble in doing some damage while scrambling to learn to swim in the deep end basically.

CV's are nothing like BB's, cruisers or DD's. You jump to tier 7, even 8, dodge, point, shoot, especially BB's that have the armour to just take punishment. CV's you have to be watching the map, where your planes are, if spotted where enemy planes are, if not spotted, where might they be, while controlling your ship and planes as close to simultaneously as possible to avoid or scramble to attack DD's your team let's through or planes snuck about to CV snipe you and take you out early, a major issue still at tier 6 and 7. These are not as simple as the non-CV or minimal games CV players want to think it is, CV's as a whole, especially with how broken, both ways, they are just not noob friendly, especially at higher tiers. Tier 4 and 5 you at least only have to worry about USN vs IJN fighter issue where USN just walks over the fighters and at tier 5, having to fight tier 6 or 7 CV's. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,699 posts
3,459 battles

Between the Saipan and the Kaga I would take Kaga because she will teach you more. Once you have the game play down she'll also be more consistent.

The Saipan is considered OP because of it not losing a fighter during stafe outs once fighter locked. While this may be good it doesn't teach you much about how CVs are actually played. Neither loadout gives you all 3 planes types, so your experience is limited. She also has a very small hangar so mistakes are brutal.

The Kaga has many squadrons, which is hard to deal with at first, and tons of reloads for when you make mistakes. Her only downside is lower Tier aircraft against AA, but it helps her in fighter vs fighter auto-lock fights. Her DBs are great for scouting after an attack, since they go faster than all other fighters besides the Saipan. She also has Godlike TB drop battern and a pencil tip DB pattern. She's incredibly consistent.

Between the two the Kaga is on the IJN line, which is truly the dominant CV line by post Tier 5. The Saipan can beat Kaga in a fight, but Kaga will do her damage before she goes down. The Kaga is simply more consistent and has a higher WR and avg damage than nearly every other CV for a good reason.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,699 posts
3,459 battles

Between the Saipan and the Kaga I would take Kaga because she will teach you more. Once you have the game play down she'll also be more consistent.

The Saipan is considered OP because of it not losing a fighter during stafe outs once fighter locked. While this may be good it doesn't teach you much about how CVs are actually played. Neither loadout gives you all 3 planes types, so your experience is limited. She also has a very small hangar so mistakes are brutal.

The Kaga has many squadrons, which is hard to deal with at first, and tons of reloads for when you make mistakes. Her only downside is lower Tier aircraft against AA, but it helps her in fighter vs fighter auto-lock fights. Her DBs are great for scouting after an attack, since they go faster than all other fighters besides the Saipan. She also has Godlike TB drop battern and a pencil tip DB pattern. She's incredibly consistent.

Between the two the Kaga is on the IJN line, which is truly the dominant CV line by post Tier 5. The Saipan can beat Kaga in a fight, but Kaga will do her damage before she goes down. The Kaga is simply more consistent and has a higher WR and avg damage than nearly every other CV for a good reason.

[7FLT]
Members
115 posts
5,574 battles

theyre both great ships but theyre polar opposites, kaga requires a more experienced player where saipan is imo the best cv to learn to play on. saipan is super forgiving where as kaga is a strike monster but if you cant manage her planes youre kinda doomed.

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,536 battles

Good to know. I bought my Saipan when they had the American ships on sale, and when the Kaga became available, I was thinking of buying her, but not sure I would enjoy her enough to justify the cost. I am a novice CV player at best, so I will stick with the Saipan and continue learning, until I feel comfortable enough for the Kaga. I have enough on my mind with the squadrons the Saipan has, don't know if I could handle the Kaga's.