You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

The new WOWS - nothing but fire and smoke

63 comments in this topic

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles

Is anyone else noticing that battles are now all smoke screens and being set afire? It's getting very tiring. Just about every battle I'm being set on fire non stop by DDs and Cruisers sitting in smoke that I can't see and now the RN BBs with their 45% fire setting HE. It's not the game that it used to be. It's becoming very predictable and boring as the rest of us decide to join in do the same.
I've had battles where there were 5-6 smokescreens around me. How is this fun?

• Cool 7

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

Well, as they're testing new smoke mechanics in the upcoming patch, it'll be interesting to see how/if that changes.  Certainly, it would appear that having BBs join and camp in smoke will be less common.

Members
606 posts
5,418 battles

Wait till next patch, you will wish for the old smoke. PTS 0.6.11 up from tomorow with IFHE and smoke screen changes

Members
3,621 posts
13,402 battles

I do agree that the smoke has gotten nutzoid. In a recent match I had to wait quite a while shortly after the battle started before I could shoot at anything because of the smoke clouds, popped by both sides that were all over the map. I could almost hear foghorns blasting!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
16 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Well, as they're testing new smoke mechanics in the upcoming patch, it'll be interesting to see how/if that changes.  Certainly, it would appear that having BBs join and camp in smoke will be less common.

Not at all - they'll keep the smokers in the rear so they still gain the benefit without the risk of being exposed. It will likely do the opposite to what they intend it should do. 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Don't worry, you won't be seeing battleships camping smoke for much longer.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
Just now, Herr_Reitz said:

Not at all - they'll keep the smokers in the rear so they still gain the benefit without the risk of being exposed. It will likely do the opposite to what they intend it should do. 

Except those BBs in smoke will still be spotted.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers
383 posts
5,420 battles
17 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Except those BBs in smoke will still be spotted.

Yeah, I'm wondering how long till the BB players realize the smoke changes hit them the hardest. It'll be pretty difficult to hide a BB in smoke, while still being reasonably easy to hide a cruiser or dd.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

BBs will just have to learn what it was supposed to be used for in game, for breaking detection and giving them a safe area to cover and to heal back up. And not abuse it to fire from.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 3

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,203 battles
27 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

It is what it is.

Agreed.

27 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The First Rule of Game Design;

Players will always find the loopholes which the Developers fail to see - this happens in all games no matter how well play tested beforehand.

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles
46 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Waaaaaaaaaahhh.

BBaby strikes again.

There's always one troll who can't resist attacking anyone with an opinion. If you have nothing constructive to add, posting insults only make you look like an idiot

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles
3 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

BBs will just have to learn what it was supposed to be used for in game, for breaking detection and giving them a safe area to cover and to heal back up. And not abuse to it fire from.

That's exactly what I use smoke for. I've always had a dim view of people who use smoke to just sit and giggle while they do whatever the hell they please. It's like with the OWSF, players end up using mechanics in ways WG didn't foresee, so they have to come back and alter the game to mitigate that.

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles
5 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

That's exactly what I use smoke for. I've always had a dim view of people who use smoke to just sit and giggle while they do whatever the hell they please. It's like with the OWSF, players end up using mechanics in ways WG didn't foresee, so they have to come back and alter the game to mitigate that.

I agree. Perhaps WG might realize that some of the RN BBs HE is going to start a new BB spamming HE trend. Something I bet they didn't intend either. 
I'm at the point where I'm changing up captain skills on most of my BBs to cope with all the fire spammers. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
33 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

How do you suppose that's going to work? How is a potato camper BB going to "keep" the smoke-carrying ships in the rear? Any DD or RNCL who is willing to sit in back and do nothing but smoke lolsniping cowards is such a potato that they probably wouldn't contribute much anyway.

I mean, what are they going to do, TK me if I refuse to camp in back and be their smoke [edited]? 

You're really reaching here trying to find a reason the sky is falling.

• Cool 2

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
128 posts
7,997 battles

I haven't seen any up tick in smoke - its the same as its always been.  Sitting in smoke is like asking for a torp - I rarely sit in smoke, really only in my Neptune with hydro on!

Fires yes - but I think that's more from the RN BB's than anything else.  But like everything else you just deal with it.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
1 minute ago, poeticmotion said:

How do you suppose that's going to work? How is a potato camper BB going to "keep" the smoke-carrying ships in the rear? Any DD or RNCL who is willing to sit in back and do nothing but smoke lolsniping cowards is such a potato that they probably wouldn't contribute much anyway.

I mean, what are they going to do, TK me if I refuse to camp in back and be their smoke [edited]? 

You're really reaching here trying to find a reason the sky is falling.

Nah but thing about it - when talking randoms/clan battles. If the "point" was to eliminate smoke camping for those two scenarios, then those with smoke will first dump it for the BB before moving forward to spot. Heck, cruisers might hold back until the dd spot targets. The cruisers then dump smoke and advance for cover without firing. If they cant find cover at least they're moving. Meanwhile the BB fire from cover. 

Sure it's not as effective as it is now but it could be a different tactic. There's a flipside to this as well... do you have to BE in smoke for the change to be effective? 

If not then nothing changes for BBs. They just hide behind the smoke but not enter it. 

If it does then it will affect reds as well - for if you in a DD smoke then retreat, if they fire from behind or while in it, the same spotting rules would apply, right? Twenty seconds of temporary visibility. The dd or cruiser who smoked will be running away but close enough to see those firing from behind or in the smoke. They get nailed. 

I'm not looking to say the sky is falling. What I am saying is it will be, quite likely, players will use the changes to their benefits. I just don't like the idea of punishing the ship that issued the smoke for using the smoke. RN cruisers were put out there to use smoke. Now, because others use the smoke, others than just the ship that smoked, everyone pays the price. 

I'm just suggesting the issuer continue to get the benefit of their smoke for their ship; everyone else takes a hit. 

Otherwise - forget about the RN cruisers popping smoke and holding a cap or any flank. Red just needs to keep pushing up to the 5.9km range and kill the RN cruiser the next time it fires. 

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Nah but thing about it - when talking randoms/clan battles. If the "point" was to eliminate smoke camping for those two scenarios, then those with smoke will first dump it for the BB before moving forward to spot. Heck, cruisers might hold back until the dd spot targets. The cruisers then dump smoke and advance for cover without firing. If they cant find cover at least they're moving. Meanwhile the BB fire from cover. 

Sure it's not as effective as it is now but it could be a different tactic. There's a flipside to this as well... do you have to BE in smoke for the change to be effective? 

If not then nothing changes for BBs. They just hide behind the smoke but not enter it. 

If it does then it will affect reds as well - for if you in a DD smoke then retreat, if they fire from behind or while in it, the same spotting rules would apply, right? Twenty seconds of temporary visibility. The dd or cruiser who smoked will be running away but close enough to see those firing from behind or in the smoke. They get nailed. 

I'm not looking to say the sky is falling. What I am saying is it will be, quite likely, players will use the changes to their benefits. I just don't like the idea of punishing the ship that issued the smoke for using the smoke. RN cruisers were put out there to use smoke. Now, because others use the smoke, others than just the ship that smoked, everyone pays the price. 

I'm just suggesting the issuer continue to get the benefit of their smoke for their ship; everyone else takes a hit. 

Otherwise - forget about the RN cruisers popping smoke and holding a cap or any flank. Red just needs to keep pushing up to the 5.9km range and kill the RN cruiser the next time it fires. 

That's fair. And that's my one concern about this change is how it will affect my RN CLs, as I tend to be very aggressive in my positioning and this change as is would force me to be a bit more cautious, especially in my Minotaur. I do like the idea of changing it to not affect the ship that laid the smoke screen.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,783 battles
25 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

There's always one troll who can't resist attacking anyone with an opinion. If you have nothing constructive to add, posting insults only make you look like an idiot

Or maybe we're all tired about hearing your woes regarding smoke and/or fire. If you're being set on fire more, learn how to mitigate that damage. Coming to the forums to complain about it isn't really constructive either. Just wait until 0.6.11 hits with the changes to IFHE fire chance. Burn BBaby burn!

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles

In my initial post I forgot to mention that I find this more of a problem in the smaller maps then the larger ones. I realize that what I was saying seemed a bit generic. Hope this clears it up a bit

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles
8 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Or maybe we're all tired about hearing your woes regarding smoke and/or fire. If you're being set on fire more, learn how to mitigate that damage. Coming to the forums to complain about it isn't really constructive either. Just wait until 0.6.11 hits with the changes to IFHE fire chance. Burn BBaby burn!

The forum was intended for players to have discussions regarding the game and how to improve it. Bronco, don't you have anything else to do other than to join your buddy and troll our discussion? 
I really couldn't give a damn whether you are tired of this or that. This is the first time I've ever discussed it and if you don't want to read about it then don't read. Nobody is here forcing you to read this post. The only reason you are here is because you have nothing else to do than to insult people.  

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 1

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,783 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

The forum was intended for players to have discussions regarding the game and how to improve it. Bronco, don't you have anything else to do other than to join your buddy and troll our discussion? 
I really couldn't give a damn whether you are tired of this or that. This is the first time I've ever discussed it and if you don't want to read about it don't read. Nobody is here forcing you to read this post. The only reason you are here is because you have nothing else to do than to insult people.  

Then maybe you should use the search function and reply to one of the other 10 or so threads that have popped since the last patch was released that discusses smoke and/or fires. There's no need to create yet another thread to beat a dead horse. I count 4-5 threads alone on the first page of general discussion. And your thread adds nothing new to the discussion!