Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Back to Basics Missions

16 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

Can you complete the CV mission (kill 20 planes) in low tier carriers (4 and 5)??

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

I believe so, it may take a while though. 

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,713 battles

Yes you can.  Since I rarely play CVs (normally just for a mission like this) I just took my air superiority Bogue into Co-Op and got my kills.  (I actually took it into random first, was licking my chops as I was matched with a tier 5 IJN CV, but he was savvy with his planes and I only got 19 before he was sunk and/or my team mates killed the other planes...so I decided to do the sure thing and secure the mission in CoOp)

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

That's how I plan on doing it. Just taking my Langley out in co-op and getting the kills.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,043 posts
16,978 battles

Like everyone is saying; go into co-op, play smart, (fight anywhere except over ships when possible; 1, so the reds don't shoot you down, and 2, so the greens don't shoot down planes you need for the kills.)

Air Superiority Bogue is easy mode, but I did it in Co-op with Langley.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Yes, tier 4 limit IIRC.  And co-op counts.  Load up a low tier American CV with Air Superiority and shouldn't be too hard. 

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles

Yes... I suck at CV play but re-bought Bogue for that mission.  In my second game I got a Clear Sky... so not too difficult.  

B

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,327 posts
9,387 battles

Langley or AS Bogue.  Have the strike planes return using 'F' with the level 1 captain skill for increased defensive fire when engaged with enemy fighters.

Me..  I use the Enterprise in Co-Op...   Didn't really have to try very hard.  Never even strafed.

After knocking down their health, I left the rest of the bot ships for my team to feed on.

Edited by AVR_Project

[TF16B]
Members
8,043 posts
16,978 battles
31 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

Need two-carrier game for that in low tier...

Not really... Langley can do it in Co-op by killing the bot Langley's first wave, then two of the scouts that should be up.

The bot lang has twelve more planes if you come up short, and there's always more scouts.

Kickier is usually your team killing everything off and the game ending before you can get it.

Harder to do in Hosho, but still possible.

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

I took everyone's advice. Langley in Co-op. Worked perfectly. I killed exactly 20 planes with the last one right before the match ended. Literally, the citation had even popped fully into view when the match ended. 

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
98 posts
11,811 battles

After playing cruisers, battleships, and destroyers, I have gone over to the dark side (T4 USN Langley) to experience a different point of view.  Still have much to learn.

When one brings a carrier to a co-op battle, one also generates a matching bot carrier to attack teammates -- they are NOT grateful.  If one cannot use Langley's fighters to shoot down at least twenty airplanes in every game, one is not making enough effort to protect those ungrateful teammates -- just the opinion of this nervous St.Louis (5 planes shot down!) driver.  Twenty planes shot down is one of my benchmarks for Langley postgame self-evaluation.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

I'd recommend setting a damage benchmark too. For example I put my two goals at 80k damage and 30 shoot downs. I want to beat both each and every game, although I seldom do both. For example this recent game in Kaga I cleared the damage by a factor of 2.5ish Not the shoot downs but it was a Saipan I was paired up against. 

Spoiler

shot-17_09.06_17_40.26-0581.thumb.jpg.592afa1e2b448aa069a4c1c3cd888387.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,327 posts
9,387 battles

Finally got to the CV problem in my 'other' free account.  I'm only up to the tier 5 Zuiho with a 7 point captain on that.  Zuiho only has 30 planes.  BTW -- I got 27 planes in the one Co-Op mission..

And so...  Strategy:

Launch everything.  AVOID fighter to Fighter combat.  Bait the bot fighters into attacking my strike planes.  Hit 'F' on the squad (to boost their HP) when they are attacked.

Move other strike planes in.  When bot fighters go for them, hit 'F' on the group being attacked by fighters and resume target of the other squads.

While the bot fighters are busy with this, I'm hitting the bot strike planes with my one fighter squad.

My bombers shot down two fighters, and torp planes shot down one.  The bot fighters kept running out of ammo and had to return.

If my fighters were nearby, I intercepted and slaughtered the defenseless planes without remorse.

In the end, I just spotted the empty bot Zuiho and let the New York have it for target practice.  I got what I came for.

20Planes_Zuiho_B.jpg

20Planes_Zuiho_D.jpg

20Planes_Zuiho_F.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,335 battles

I am an absolute beginner in carrier play and just finished the mission in a Hosho.  17 Co-op games so far with an average of 18 planes shot down, so you should be able to do it comfortably. I do have a 10 point captain in her though courtesy of the ARP ship change.

I am thinking of getting an AS Bogue but have a question for experienced Bogue players, do you make much in the way of XP & credits when you just focus on shooting planes down?

Edited by Camo68

Sign in to follow this