You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

Total War: Arena?

9 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

So I got into the CBT for Total War: Arena and while the concept seems cool, it is beyond frustrating and confusing.

Has anyone else played this game?  I can only think of two times where I rage-quit a WoWs game out of sheer frustration and irritation, but that is the norm in TW: A.  

Their tutorials are pretty useless, and there is no PVE mode currently available (as far as I've been able to find).  I think teamwork plays a larger part in that game, but thus far, I don't see much of it.  

Gameplay is confusing in general.  Move your units, fight (or run if needed), watch them win (or die - which I do a lot of).  It looked cool, but I'm beginning to regret putting much time into it.  

Yes, I know there is a learning curve with any game, but this one feels pretty steep.  For a free to play game that isn't out of Beta yet, I don't think it will be around very long.

Anyone out there with similar experience? 

B

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles

I played it a while ago, long before WG got there hands on it. It was quite enjoyable for me back then, I'm going to wait for OBT to play again. I'm bad at RTS games, but I enjoy Arena since you only have to micro three units.

[CVA16]
Beta Testers
42 posts
4,673 battles

I did a few alpha games. And I played a few of the original  total war series of games.

My biggest issue was the game center and updates. My second issue was more to do with distance and response times playing from Australia. These coupled with the really good dedicated twa fans in the alpha meant that slow noobs are just fodder. And neing fodder is not fun.

The cbt is better and has improved ui but maybe obt will be the start of fun and it will shine.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,541 battles

I've played TW Medieval II, Empire and Rome II.  I tried the Arena demo at PAX since that was the only WG presence (lame) and left feeling underwhelmed.  Maybe I just wasn't familiar with the interface but I couldn't set formations or create groups so it was just my gaggle of three units running around the map trying to get to the fight, or getting surrounded and stomped by multiple enemy groups.  I think I'll skip it -- prefer the strategic level management and command of my entire army in the regular TW titles.

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles

Watched it on you tube when I was invited to beta test, it didn't look like it was for me.

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

Thanks for the replies.  Im not giving up on it yet, but only for something else to do.  We'll see how it goes.

B

Members
1,063 posts
6,148 battles

I've played it a little. Don't have a clue what I'm doing yet. As you said, seems a steep learning curve to me. Tried to find some guidance outside the game, like youtube, but very little is published yet on how to play the game. 

At this rate, it's going to be very hard to keep my interest. No desire to play it and don't seem to be getting any better at game play.