Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

Didn't know you could get 4 fires on a DD

20 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

Apparently you can get 4 fires on a DD.  I thought that only applied to BBs.

Spoiler

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

All ships can catch fire on 4 spots: Bow, Front superstructure, back superstructure, and stern.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Huh. I feel like something had to change for that to be possible.

As far back as CBT, destroyers specifically were stated to only have 3 Fire zones, not four like other ships. It was a decision made due to their already high fragility.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,602 posts

I thought fire did a percentage of the HP of a ship; so unsure why a DD would need to be treated differently (should have the same fires as everyone else)?

(Of course the rounds that hit the DD in the first place is probably going to do significant damage, but that's another issue :Smile_Default:).

Edited by _WaveRider_

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

It's entirely possible that either things changed since I read that statement, or I've just never been hit enough to get four fires. I do tend to captain very flimsy IJN destroyers instead of the hardier USN ones, though the VMF are also pretty rugged by comparison.

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

I landed a 9/9 shell salvo on a Kiev with Nelson yesterday. He briefly survived long enough to know the pain of four fires on a DD before immediately exploding.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
672 posts
27,273 battles
1 minute ago, FayFay731 said:

Ouch, how did you still survive the HE spam that allowed 4 fires to burn?

Yea, that was exactly my first thought.  Immediately as I read out that topic title.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles
34 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I thought fire did a percentage of the HP of a ship; so unsure why a DD would need to be treated differently (should have the same fires as everyone else)?

(Of course the rounds that hit the DD in the first place is probably going to do significant damage, but that's another issue :Smile_Default:).

1 minute ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I don't see how fragility is a factor. Fire is a percentage of total health. Only difference is DDs can't heal

This is why.

17 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

This is why.

It doesn't hurt a DD anymore than a cruiser without a heal or a carrier. I am totally biased towards destroyers, but they're not special in this regard.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

It doesn't hurt a DD anymore than a cruiser without a heal or a carrier. I am totally biased towards destroyers, but they're not special in this regard.

I disagree when the destroyer's health pool is 1/2 to 1/3rd that of a cruiser's, or 1/4th that of a carrier's, with no health recovery.

But it's not that important. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and that's all there is to it.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

I disagree when the destroyer's health pool is 1/2 to 1/3rd that of a cruiser's, or 1/4th that of a carrier's, with no health recovery.

But it's not that important. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and that's all there is to it.

I don't know the actual values, but if a fire does 10% of max hp damage it scales down for DDs and up for capital ships. It scales is my point

You could argue that DDs should get damcon, after all BBs have hydro and radar in some instances and all sorts of cruisers have damcon. Take it in place of speed boost as a choice.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I don't know the actual values, but if a fire does 10% of max hp damage it scales down for DDs and up for capital ships. It scales is my point

You could argue that DDs should get damcon, after all BBs have hydro and radar in some instances and all sorts of cruisers have damcon. Take it in place of speed boost as a choice.

The percentage fire damage isn't the point. It's the 2900 damage HE shell hits that I was pointing at.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles
4 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

The percentage fire damage isn't the point. It's the 2900 damage HE shell hits that I was pointing at.

5900 if you're the Orion. Yup, they broke it

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

5900 if you're the Orion. Yup, they broke it

Right. But you see the point I was making.

I was under the impression destroyers had fewer "fire points" because their health pool means individual HE hits are a lot more devastating. But apparently I was wrong/had the wrong impression and this entire conversation is moot anyway.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,602 posts
6 hours ago, AraAragami said:

Right. But you see the point I was making.

I was under the impression destroyers had fewer "fire points" because their health pool means individual HE hits are a lot more devastating. But apparently I was wrong/had the wrong impression and this entire conversation is moot anyway.

Hi AraAragami, sorry for lack of reply, had gone to bed after I posted my last message. Although the health pool of the BB is far superior to the DD I see this as the balance to the DDs stealth and ability not to get hit in the first place.

I know there are so many more things in game that make being spotted much more easier nowadays but then on top of the concealment, DDs also have their speed/agility (and yes again the old adage about not be able to outrun a bullet, let alone several being fired by different ships, at different times and different locations, doesn't make it easy lol).

I did see the survivability of the DD to be on par (in general) with other ships classes (excluding the CV of course). However, this has changed along with its average damage stats too.

I have always thought that each ship in game should have an equal chance of survival and causing damage; this is a 'game' people play to essentially kill other ships - it's not a sim and these should be fundamental areas of balance. The only thing that I believe should be different is the playstyle you adopt in the ship class in order to survive and cause your damage. Unfortunately this has been the area that has slowly changed.

Unfortunately with all the gimmicks in game, changing the damage stats of the DD would also affect CAs (if DDs got better at killing (6-8% torpedo hit rate to 8-10%) then this would in turn affect their survival). Maybe the heal some have talked about would help CAs against the BBs power and a more balanced DD damage rate - but that would be adding yet another gimmick (to CAs) when I think there are already too many. I suppose when there are 11 radar ships and 41 hydro ships a Tier VII DD can come up against you could say there is enough to give CAs warning but I'm sure it's not so simple. :Smile_honoring:

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles
16 hours ago, FayFay731 said:

I had already put out multiple fires and repaired my engines to get the heck out, which is why you see my repair still unavailable.  This next batch of fires was before I could get out.  All the fires were as a result of Bismark secondaries because I became detected by an enemy DD.  The Bismark obviously had manual secondaries for his captain skills, and they worked well.

I usually wear camo to reduce detection range, but forgot to put it on this game.  It really doesn't make much difference anyway.  The Kagero isn't bad for detection, especially the way I play it.  I just made a bad decision in this game and paid dearly for it.

Sign in to follow this