You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
freerunner_007

Selecting a cruiser line

28 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
3,081 battles

Greeting captains, i recently became more interested on cruisers and wanted to find out which cruiser would be best for me. I began the Japanese line and i found it a bit boring, i hit tier 6 on the German line and lost interest. So i began doing some homework on this site (https://wows-numbers.com). I compared cruisers' AP and HE damage of all nations and of all tiers because that's a factor that would heavily affect my choice of ships. I'm not just looking for the most powerful tier 10 cruiser, i also want to enjoy whilst grinding. So i came up with these images based on data from https://wows-numbers.com.

59ad75254fd3a_CruiserHEDPM.thumb.PNG.47fa1b3632f99a971ccf13bbb91f3730.PNG* T10 British cruiser doesn't have HE shells.

59ad7529017a5_CruiserAPDPM.thumb.PNG.030b8760523d2d605f26aa3817b8c5ee.PNG

After spending my time doing all this, i figured i should go with British cruisers because they become increasingly powerful as you progress up the tiers and apparently have smoke, which can be very useful as a cruiser. Any recommendations about which line i should choose? 

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

Your data is kinda weird, because I believe only the T7 Belfast has HE shells...

I like all cruiser lines equally, except for US... I just suck at killing DDs with US =') Perhaps IJN is easier to start with..

Edited by joris92

Members
4,335 posts
10,762 battles

I've not heard the IJN cruiser line called *boring* before, and especially not with the redoubtable ninja-CA Zao as the ultimate goal.

Perhaps the Russian line would better suit you as it has some unique ships and very good premium trainers as well.

Members
38 posts
3,081 battles
26 minutes ago, joris92 said:

Your data is kinda weird, because I believe only the T7 Belfast has HE shells...

I like all cruiser lines equally, except for US... I just suck at killing DDs with US =') Perhaps IJN is easier to start with..

I just checked in-game and you're right. Seems the site i used isn't credible

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles
6 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Want a powerful HE spamming cruiser line?

Go for British battleships.

:Smile_great::Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

0 posts

With introduction of HE BB, it makes hi-tier CA not really great choice. They can't burn RN BB because of magic heal and they can't compete in dealing damage because of magic HE, so... 

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
110 posts
10,661 battles

Not to mention you're overlooking the fact that the Japanese saw the torpedo as the primary armament (why shouldn't they, they had the best, most powerful and longest ranged torpedo in the world- the Long Lance).  Most other nations regarded torpedoes on cruisers as "finish off crippled enemy" weapons, not primary strike weapons.  So any damage calculation for the Japanese has to include the torps.  It's not until you get up to t7 or 8 that the guns really start getting more potent than the torps for the Japs.

Members
88 posts
4,130 battles

The British cruiser line is a good choice, the no premiums don't have HE shells though.

Any cruise line is fine if you remember this.

NOT THE US LINE

Members
178 posts
3,555 battles

I'm personally starting to like the German line myself since getting koinsburg at tier 5 I've got the next one up but to broke to buy it but I've heard it's an upgraded koinsburg. The thing I like about it is you get super accurate guns with real good punch. He sets fires and ap will punish other cruisers. If you get them broad side that pretty much a guaranteed cit. The only thing is it hurts when BBs look at you so your going to be ducking and weaving. I suggest riding with another BB and playing support with them letting them take the focus fire. Plus you get Hindenburg at the end.

[CVA16]
Members
9,440 posts
28,715 battles
On 9/4/2017 at 10:24 AM, VonLippe said:

Not to mention you're overlooking the fact that the Japanese saw the torpedo as the primary armament (why shouldn't they, they had the best, most powerful and longest ranged torpedo in the world- the Long Lance).  Most other nations regarded torpedoes on cruisers as "finish off crippled enemy" weapons, not primary strike weapons.  So any damage calculation for the Japanese has to include the torps.  It's not until you get up to t7 or 8 that the guns really start getting more potent than the torps for the Japs.

But from after tier 5 IJN cruiser have a huge problem with torp angles. Yes they have torps but it can be suicide to try to use them in most situations. Can't completely discount the damage potential of the torps but it can be very situational when you can actually use them and they can still all be easily dodged.

Members
1 post
56 battles

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am also looking for a cruiser line to begin grinding. I have been a BB player for some time now, and I find I don't really like them. This is mostly because I have trouble shooting accurate volleys, and BB RoF is awfully slow. BBs turn too slowly for my taste as well - too hard for me to dodge torps. I have been thinking about starting a cruiser line for some time now, and I need advice - I want a cruiser line that (in general) has high rate of fire, and takes decent amount of damage for a cruiser. Any ideas?

Members
23 posts
6,390 battles

I can't find the thread from a month ago, but in short no cruiser line is tougher than another.  It changes tier by tier and ship to ship.  Citadel and armor spaces are complicated.  

Largest 2 differences are:

1. British line is mostly smaller and more nimble. 

2. Japan switches to larger guns at T5 rather than T7, but ROF for similar calibers and DPM is pretty close across lines.

Maybe Russian line is more fragile than others, but hits better at range to compensate. 

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,979 posts
22,250 battles

I think the OP should try out all the nation cruiser up to t6, then do another analysis base on his game play, play style then toying with which cruiser line best.

Currently the French HE doing pretty well, AP very punchy. Welcome to the French sub-forum post

German very survival - play the Roon and the Hiddy yet?

Russian fire spammer + flatter trajectory = more citadels hits

Smoke will be nerf to the extinction due to NOOB made too many complains and not understand about the original WoWs game mechanics, therefore British cruiser smoke will be useless

[IBAD]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,985 battles
2 hours ago, M1ster_Bean said:

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am also looking for a cruiser line to begin grinding. I have been a BB player for some time now, and I find I don't really like them. This is mostly because I have trouble shooting accurate volleys, and BB RoF is awfully slow. BBs turn too slowly for my taste as well - too hard for me to dodge torps. I have been thinking about starting a cruiser line for some time now, and I need advice - I want a cruiser line that (in general) has high rate of fire, and takes decent amount of damage for a cruiser. Any ideas?

Finding a good RoF cruiser is easy, but finding one that can take a decent amount of damage is not, especially if you don't/can't angle properly.  

I prefer the Russian cruiser line (up to Schorhs so far) but that is my playstyle preference.  I hear good things about the German line, masters of nothing but good at everything.  Think about what playstyle you prefer and research what ship lines are like later on.

Firestarting - Japan and Russia

Surviving (sort of) - German

Nimbleness - France or Britain (but 0.6.11 smoke adjustments might be the death of the British CL line)

Arcing Fire and Island Hopping - US

TL:DR - find your playstyle and research the strengths of each line.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
110 posts
10,661 battles

I've seen a lot of hate for the US cruisers, but if you play to their strengths, they can be quite powerful.  T7+ you can effectively bow-tank like a BB vs other cruisers and some BB's.  Accurate, hard-hitting guns w/ decent AP and RoF.  Radar / Hydro on some makes them DD nightmares.  Cleve at T6 is a fire-starting monster w/ Atlanta-like shell deluges.  Only thing you give up is... no torps avail.  And for someone looking for gunships, that's not an issue.

[13TH]
Members
4,901 posts
9,124 battles
On 9/4/2017 at 8:47 AM, freerunner_007 said:

Greeting captains, i recently became more interested on cruisers and wanted to find out which cruiser would be best for me. I began the Japanese line and i found it a bit boring, i hit tier 6 on the German line and lost interest. So i began doing some homework on this site (https://wows-numbers.com). I compared cruisers' AP and HE damage of all nations and of all tiers because that's a factor that would heavily affect my choice of ships. I'm not just looking for the most powerful tier 10 cruiser, i also want to enjoy whilst grinding. So i came up with these images based on data from https://wows-numbers.com.

59ad75254fd3a_CruiserHEDPM.thumb.PNG.47fa1b3632f99a971ccf13bbb91f3730.PNG* T10 British cruiser doesn't have HE shells.

59ad7529017a5_CruiserAPDPM.thumb.PNG.030b8760523d2d605f26aa3817b8c5ee.PNG

After spending my time doing all this, i figured i should go with British cruisers because they become increasingly powerful as you progress up the tiers and apparently have smoke, which can be very useful as a cruiser. Any recommendations about which line i should choose? 

If you found the Japanese Cruisers boring yea got some issues , an OP Cruiser does not exist, there are Cruisers that suit your playstyle whatever that is for you

personally I really like the Japanese Cruisers and have a lot of fun playing them right up to the Zao  

my Favorite Cruiser is one I bought a long time ago to farm credits,the  "Murmansk "a V Russian premium Cruiser that has the best rudder shift in game for Cruisers it does suffer from powercreep in todays MM these days but is still a lot of fun to play

what your going to find no matter what line you go down or premium you play that there will be certain ships you really like playing and others ... not so much

Members
1,654 posts
On 9/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, VonLippe said:

I've seen a lot of hate for the US cruisers, but if you play to their strengths, they can be quite powerful.  T7+ you can effectively bow-tank like a BB vs other cruisers and some BB's.  Accurate, hard-hitting guns w/ decent AP and RoF.  Radar / Hydro on some makes them DD nightmares.  Cleve at T6 is a fire-starting monster w/ Atlanta-like shell deluges.  Only thing you give up is... no torps avail.  And for someone looking for gunships, that's not an issue.

and...they are more fun to battle with. This high rate of firing is really something. I enjoyed the Phoenix and I'm working the Omaha right now. No of the IJN cruisers are that fun...

[TDD]
Members
1,237 posts
9,516 battles

I am bad in cruisers and i mean BAD....then I started the IJN line and while I am still not good (yet) in the cruiser I am better and more importantly I am having fun for the first time in cruisers.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
110 posts
10,661 battles
1 hour ago, nina_blain_73 said:

I am bad in cruisers and i mean BAD....then I started the IJN line and while I am still not good (yet) in the cruiser I am better and more importantly I am having fun for the first time in cruisers.

Thing to remember about the Jap cruisers (at least up to Mogami) is that they play like oversized DD's.  Fast, nimble, and w/ long range torps, but God help you if you stay broadside-on to another cruiser or a BB for any time.  Glass cannons tend to get shattered quick if you let the other guy get a clean shot at you.

From about t7, they start getting pretty decent guns and even <gasp> some armor.  Mogami and above are true gunships, but keep some torps just to say that extra "FU" to the bad guys.

Members
76 posts
5,496 battles

I've taken the US and German cruisers up to their Tier 10 and like them both very much.  I was doing far better in the Hindenburg than I was in the Des Moines I think I figured out why, it was the way I had the Captain set up.  Made a few changes and bang, he is do far better now.  I played the UK line to Tier 7, its a lot different to me and I had to adjust a lot in my play style to do well in it.  Over all the cruiser line is fun as long as you can adjust your play style to use the lines strength and not fall for their weakness.  IJN and USSR are next. 

Members
212 posts
5,354 battles

honestly, most cruiser lines change drastically at tiers 5-7. Most lines start off as "CL" (Light cruisers) and wind up as "CA" (Heavy Cruiser) lines.  The thing is, Light Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers actually have different playstyles, so a person who likes the tier 5 French cruiser won't necessarily like any of the French cruisers after that. The British Cruiser line is CL's all the way, but I know a lot of people still hate the tier 1-5 ships even if they love the higher tier ships.  Something else to point out is that the survivability of cruisers depends HEAVILY on how you play them.  The tier vii US ship Pensacola is a great example of this.  It's well protected from most angles, but it's a large ship with large citadels.. if those citadels are facing your enemy, you're dead, but if you stay angled your armor is very good for a cruiser.. the Pensacola also has the advantage of being able to shoot over many islands that others cannot, allowing it to fight from behind cover.

I have all the cruiser lines up to 6 now and a couple up to 8.  In my experience the playstyles come down to this:

British cruisers sit in smoke and shoot, when smoke is unavailable they rely on their concealment, speed, and agility to stay alive.  They have short range, but actually act like "sniper" ships.

German Cruisers want to fight at either very long ranges, where they outrange most same tier ships (but not by much, they have to be careful), or they want to get close where their excellent AP ammo and their torps make the greatest difference. get out of mid ranges as quickly as possible and preferably behind cover.

Russian Cruisers have long range and fast RoF. they like to stay at range and act as flamethrowers..  IIRC they're mostly glass cannons though.

French cruisers stay at range and use their superior speed/maneuverability to avoid getting hit.. though it seems like this has to change at tier 6.  Again, up until tier 6, their pretty good at fighting in close quarters too, due to excellent maneuverability.

Japanese cruisers are "Destroyer Leaders" meaning their job is to keep close to destroyers.. they want to get to relatively close ranges and use their superior torpedoes, provide a distraction and set larger ships on fire while the nearby DD's are fighting, as well as wrecking enemy destroyers.

USA Cruisers are gunboats that rely on using islands to provide cover while they fight.  They have good survivability in general, but have large citadels so player skill, both their skill and opposing skill, can be a huge factor. Higher tier US Cruisers will also make you sad when there's not an opposing aircraft carrier.

Members
4,335 posts
10,762 battles

It's simple but hard to master (I sure haven't, consistently anyway). Cruisers are synergy ships. They come into their own working with DDs and BBs, preferably both but at least one of the two. If you're soloing/yoloing alone you're doing it wrong and aren't going to be afloat for long.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles
On 9/4/2017 at 9:58 AM, SlartiBartFastE2 said:

With introduction of HE BB, it makes hi-tier CA not really great choice. They can't burn RN BB because of magic heal and they can't compete in dealing damage because of magic HE, so... 

Actually CAs still work the best against high tier RN BBs.

They do have magic heal but they are also vulnerable to HE penetration. So HE spam can kinda force the further away from the battle field.

Other BBs have much harder time to deal with RN BBs. There is nothing you can do as a Montana or GK facing a Conquerer shooting HE. You are guaranteed to lose the grindy battle over time. Yamato is slightly better with overmatch shells but it still can be a very unfavorable HP trade.

Beta Testers
397 posts
5,404 battles

Basically, anything that isn't USN. The other shiplines are better throughout, and the payoff at the end is better. The Des Moines is NOT worth the grind through ships such as the Baltimore and Pensacola. Furthermore, it's the lowest performing TX Cruiser in the game.