Neighbor_Kid

The Stealthy Archers...

8 comments in this topic

[5D]
Beta Testers
429 posts
7,566 battles

So how does everyone feel about these higher tier ships?  

I was super excited about the KGV, so far she seems to be not such a great ship. Like Nelson, she absorbs tons of damage, i feel almost anything in the same tier can touch her armor just by looking at it. Difference being is that Nelson as we know gets a monster repair, which really does off set the amount of damage you take I feel. The KGV on the other hand does not. Her AP feels absymal. HE is ok, but it's totally RNG. I hit a DD several times in 1 game with HE and only did 1k damage with a penetration on HE.. hmm..or i feel that this .15 of a second detonation of AP shells still over pen cruisers plenty.  I'm talking good solid hits to the mid section of the ship... over pen. 

It's a tough branch to play in the higher tiers that for sure. It's as if you have to play it as a light battlecruiser... and even then i feel Hood takes less of a beating... I feel it should be the opposite way around..At least KGV and Hood should switch positions.. that would make more sense. Why would  one of the most armored ships take so much damage from everything. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

For the upper tier ones, I have Nelson and Conqueror.

If you liked stealthy Cruiser play or Stealth USN BB builds, she's right up your alley.  11.1km concealment range is a massive benefit.  You can play that "skirmisher" role quite well.

I don't advise long range duels with Yamato.  Your guns are actually decent in hitting at that range but Yamato will get easy pens on you and IMO, you run a higher risk of taking a citadel.  Conqueror's citadel is quite low, so in a twisted way she's like a German BB, hard to citadel with direct fire as the range gets closer.  But camp at range, you'll take bigger damage, risks.

Conqueror feels like some other BBs that ideally fight at the "intermediate" ranges.  Her handling and concealment makes this easy, easier than even Montana.

Conqueror also is quite adept in withstanding HE+Fires.  Her Mega Repair Party will get you back a lot of that.  I recall an opposing Conqueror laughing after he killed our Zao that was burning him.  He just healed right back all the fire damage Zao did, and then some.  If you need to kill Conqueror, you need to put it down fast.  If you take too long, the Mega Repair Party becomes a problem in outlasting you.  If you take too long, Conqueror may reconceal and lick its wounds, come back later with a large amount of HP back.  It needs to be overwhelmed and forced to be detected, putting in so much damage that it all becomes too much for even the Repair Party.  Conqueror may be hard to citadel but like German BBs, she eats pens if she's not careful.  She also has bad TDS, so any torpedo damage is critical to Conqueror, as the Mega Repair Party doesn't bring much of that back, not like HE+Fire damage.  With lower HP than other Tier X BBs, she needs to manage that HP pool.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,561 battles

The lower tier UK BBs can still remain fairly stealthy despite their tier.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Beta Testers
429 posts
7,566 battles

The Warspite DC part II would be a great benefit to the KGV IMO. Setting her a blaze is quite easy.  Even perhaps a 60 second cool down. That 20 seconds difference would make quite an impact on this ship.  

Monarch I'm still feeling out a bit. 

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
579 posts

I have only played the KGV and Monarch at this point - a couple things I have noticed (for my playstyle)

1.  If I play them both like I have Atlanta's armament, they are fine.  It requires HE primary at long range and when adversaries are angled.  When broadside within 12km, only then is AP preferred.

2.  You need at least 14 point captain for MON and it would not hurt for KGV.  Concealment and IFHE for KGV, AFT for MON.  That is until IFHE is nerfed.  MON needs both the Aim Systems Mod 1 and AFT to compensate for dispersion at close range and AA.  I ran with AA mod 2 for a while, but the dispersion is just too great - AFT can do the same thing.  Of course if you really hate Aircraft, then go for both.

3.  MON guns seem to have a very wide vertical dispersion at ranges closer than 10km.  They get tighter between 10 and 18km.  

4.  Expert Loader and Expert Marksman is more crucial for these ships than most any other - it would be awesome if I could change Steven Seagal to British (turret traverse and exp loader perks).

Overall - I can not wait to get to Lion.

At this point I am keeping KGV (better that COL, perhaps on par with Gneis) and getting rid of MON (perhaps the worst VIII BB, but still playable).

Argue or not, this is for me - hopefully it helps you out.

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
4 hours ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

Monarch I'm still feeling out a bit. 

Likewise and she feels distinctly vulnerable when she is up against any tier 9 or 10 BBs--and so does the Bismarck but not to this extent. I really would have appreciated the increased gun range module on her. I'm going to reserve judgement until I get a fair slew of battles in all the new RN BBs.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
5,881 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For the upper tier ones, I have Nelson and Conqueror.

If you liked stealthy Cruiser play or Stealth USN BB builds, she's right up your alley.  11.1km concealment range is a massive benefit.  You can play that "skirmisher" role quite well.

I don't advise long range duels with Yamato.  Your guns are actually decent in hitting at that range but Yamato will get easy pens on you and IMO, you run a higher risk of taking a citadel.  Conqueror's citadel is quite low, so in a twisted way she's like a German BB, hard to citadel with direct fire as the range gets closer.  But camp at range, you'll take bigger damage, risks.

Conqueror feels like some other BBs that ideally fight at the "intermediate" ranges.  Her handling and concealment makes this easy, easier than even Montana.

Conqueror also is quite adept in withstanding HE+Fires.  Her Mega Repair Party will get you back a lot of that.  I recall an opposing Conqueror laughing after he killed our Zao that was burning him.  He just healed right back all the fire damage Zao did, and then some.  If you need to kill Conqueror, you need to put it down fast.  If you take too long, the Mega Repair Party becomes a problem in outlasting you.  If you take too long, Conqueror may reconceal and lick its wounds, come back later with a large amount of HP back.  It needs to be overwhelmed and forced to be detected, putting in so much damage that it all becomes too much for even the Repair Party.  Conqueror may be hard to citadel but like German BBs, she eats pens if she's not careful.  She also has bad TDS, so any torpedo damage is critical to Conqueror, as the Mega Repair Party doesn't bring much of that back, not like HE+Fire damage.  With lower HP than other Tier X BBs, she needs to manage that HP pool.

So what you're saying is... the Conqueror is stupidly overpowered...  :cap_popcorn:

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
24 minutes ago, motormouth85 said:

So what you're saying is... the Conqueror is stupidly overpowered...  :cap_popcorn:

She's a keeper :cap_cool: