sasquatch_research

Iron Duke (Garbage)

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

49 posts in this topic

Hey

Maybe it's me; but I absolutely hate this ship.  It's fully upgraded but is utterly garbage.  Worst game 495 damage (T7 to be fair), best 72.4K (T6 game), most 15-20K.  It's slow but workable, turret rotation is abysmal, rudder shift is garbage (try dodging torps, not going to happen), if you have to turn, your guns won't be on target and it's nothing for a DD to do you in.  This ship is the worst T5 I have played by far;  I have more fun in my T3 Nassau than this thing.  Time to XP past this for my own sanity.

Pete

2 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

This ship is the worst T5 I have played by far;

Lets just remember that a ships like the New York exists. The Iron Duke is just flat out better hands down.

2 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Maybe it's me; but I absolutely hate this ship.  It's fully upgraded but is utterly garbage.  Worst game 495 damage (T7 to be fair), best 72.4K (T6 game), most 15-20K.  It's slow but workable, turret rotation is abysmal, rudder shift is garbage (try dodging torps, not going to happen), if you have to turn, your guns won't be on target and it's nothing for a DD to do you in.  This ship is the worst T5 I have played by far;  I have more fun in my T3 Nassau than this thing.  Time to XP past this for my own sanity.

Pete

Well, that's pretty much how the RN BB's play. Don't expect anything different up the line.

HE is primary on these ships, the only time AP is useful is against cruisers and flat broadsides. It's a different play style that most of the bb's in game, but they can be effective.

Sometimes people are just not good in ships. It happens it dosnt mean it's a bad ship. She just doesn't work for your play style.

3 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Lets just remember that a ships like the New York exists. The Iron Duke is just flat out better hands down.

Poor New York has been power crept to a point of not even being relevant in T7 matches.  She can barely hold her own in her own tier bracket with the German and British BB's here now.

It's a tier 5 BB, what exactly do you expect?  (Not snark, just a question.)

I think for most people, for most lines there's gonna be at least one ship you just can't get into.  Like awiggin mentions (though I disagree that HE is *primary*), ammo choice is more critical for the British BB's, so if you haven't been switching your ammunition on them so far now would be a good time to develop the habit.

If you still can't get into it - it's just the tier 5, you'll be through it and on to the next ship in the line soon enough.

Way too fast an assessment if you can call it that. Every ship is unique, some reputedly great ships don't work for you; other supposedly bad ships you click with.

I accept every new ship as a challenge, a puzzle to sort out. Having to develop a broad array of playstyles for all these ship is my catnip, but then I'm a collector.

29 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Well, that's pretty much how the RN BB's play. Don't expect anything different up the line.

HE is primary on these ships, the only time AP is useful is against cruisers and flat broadsides. It's a different play style that most of the bb's in game, but they can be effective.

People must be using AP wrong then as I get on average 56k+ damage to cruisers & battleships using only AP and good damage hits as well. Have had a few matches that got me close to 100k damage using only AP.

As for the OP, he must be doing it wrong if the Orion does good damage itself.

Just spam its magical [edited] HE and you'll do fine. A fire in every salvo because that's balanced

How can you tell if it's good or bad when it's 12 Iron Dukes against 12 Iron Dukes...

1 minute ago, MrEndeavour said:

A fire in every salvo because that's balanced

You mean a fire caused by every hit to the RN BBs?

Just now, DeathLord1969 said:

You mean a fire caused by every hit to the RN BBs?

No. I mean it's [edited] fire chance that is better than T10 BBs

Just now, MrEndeavour said:

No. I mean it's [edited] fire chance that is better than T10 BBs

It was meaning that every hit, almost, causes a fire on my Orion so far.... lol

Have not tried HE just yet.

34 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

don't you be trash talking my New York. just because no one knows how to play it doesn't make it worse.

and my pirate camo has absolutely nothing to do with my bias. :Smile_izmena:

14 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

don't you be trash talking my New York. just because no one knows how to play it doesn't make it worse.

and my pirate camo has absolutely nothing to do with my bias. :Smile_izmena:

How do you play it? the best damage I have pulled off was by ramming a Konig. 

30 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

People must be using AP wrong then as I get on average 56k+ damage to cruisers & battleships using only AP and good damage hits as well. Have had a few matches that got me close to 100k damage using only AP.

As for the OP, he must be doing it wrong if the Orion does good damage itself.

You get lots of pens and even cits from HE on that ship. I'd highly recommend experimenting with it. Not to mention multiple fires...:Smile_teethhappy:

1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Can't speak for higher up the line, but QE's AP is actually very effective. I did half a dozen games each using AP or HE as primary ammo and did much better using AP as primary.

I think that right now, so many people are playing British battleships (people who may never play battleships at all any other time) because they are new. It is causing unusual results and often very one-sided victories/losses. 

To me, the ship itself is not so bad, but have experienced some very bad matches.

Give it time and the number of people playing battleships will go back down to more normal rates and then we will be better able to give the ship a fair assessment.

2 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

the ship itself is not so bad, but have experienced some very bad matches.

That happens with any and all ships though.

3 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

That happens with any and all ships though.

agreed

1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

It's a tier 5 BB, what exactly do you expect?  (Not snark, just a question.)

I think for most people, for most lines there's gonna be at least one ship you just can't get into.  Like awiggin mentions (though I disagree that HE is *primary*), ammo choice is more critical for the British BB's, so if you haven't been switching your ammunition on them so far now would be a good time to develop the habit.

If you still can't get into it - it's just the tier 5, you'll be through it and on to the next ship in the line soon enough.

Hey

At Tier 5; I was comparing it to my other ships like Kongo and especially my T5 favorite, Konig.  Konig is so much better, and even Kongo is better.  Even the T4 Kaiser is better in my opinion.  The ship doesn't click for me and is very inconsistent, not just when up-tiered in which many ships will struggle.  I would so much rather be in a Konig and get up-tiered than the Iron Duke, makes me wonder about trying the Q.E, I have heard the KGV in decent at T7.

Pete

According to warships.today so far....

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by DeathLord1969