You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Are aimbots/hacks/exploits/cheats real?

83 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

I occasionally see someone complaining that the enemy is using an aimbot, or a hack, or an cheat, or.. etc.

I see this exclusively in lower tier games, and I tend to chalk it up to players who simply aren't that good at the game yet and don't understand how everything works, or are simply getting embarrassed by players much better than them.  An example would be a destroyer who pops smoke but then can clearly be seen coming to a stop before the smoke conceals him.  So someone fires blind at where he was, scores hits, and gets accused of cheating.

I don't know everything about the game yet, though so... are the use of hacks, cheats and the like a problem in WoWS?  Or is it a total non-issue?

[CAPGO]
Members
507 posts
3,255 battles

I'm very curious to know too, but I'm like "whatever.."

Even if there ARE such things, it doesn't make me go crazy.. I mean..... all main stream games have some sort of bot issues.

I am not saying WG should neglect this problem.. but I'm like... "yea .. of course hackers are gonna hack.. bastards!!"

It would be nice if WG can prevent all future hacks.. but... as long as the game is somewhat popular,hackers are going to hack. It's what they do.

There is no one simple solution for those cheap bastards.

it's a never ending war.. and I just hope WG stays keen on this matter.

Edited by 0806sung

Members
9,862 posts

You aren't allowed to talk about it here. WG doesn't want anyone to know....:Smile_teethhappy:

However considering the recent busting of a Well known youtuber a few weeks back, it's clearly still an issue.

WG will probably bomb this post now that I mentioned it, they do not want players to even know it's going on...

This thread will be killed soon too.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,421 battles

Cheats / exploits exist, but are far, far more rare than hackusers seem to think they are. Chances of one being in that one match you were in, are near nil.

• Cool 4

[USCC2]
Members
3,414 posts

I believe they are real and some people use them.

However, it really just comes down to how well a person plays (or their opponent plays), as to whether they win or lose. Put simply, if you lose the overwhelming odds are that your opponent was just better. :Smile_honoring:

[POP]
Members
1,223 posts
8,002 battles

I have heard rumors of a popular streamer apparently using a hack. It appeared similar to the torpedo predictor. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I don't go looking for hacks, even when playing with people who do use them (Battlefield 3 comes to mind immediately). 

On the other hand, in WoWS... flight time of shells is non-zero and judicious use of WASD will screw the aimbots that I've been led to believe exist all to hell. 

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Yes they are real. 
The ones that are put in the mod folder are easily detected and people are banned for using them.
The ones that work outside the WoWS program to overlay aim data on the screen are nearly impossible to detect (because privacy laws of many countries prevent WG from scanning outside the code/functions they own).

Common? Ehhh...  I wouldn't say /common/ but I do strongly suspect that they are used more than people want to believe. Fortunately all it can show is where to aim to hit /if/ the ship continues in a straight line with no speed changes and is not currently in a turn. If you WASD, long range shots with an aim hack will almost never hit you, and at close range no one should even need aim help anyway. It has the same accuracy as a Co-op bot basically. Very accurate if you never evade. Very inaccurate if you do. 

Edit: So if you see someone shooting exactly like a co-op bot, but driving like a human, they might be using an aim assist. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

Okay, so aiming assisted by third party software is real, that makes sense.  What about things that fundamentally change gameplay? Like knowing exactly where enemy ships are without detecting them (probably just "lucky" torps aimed with an educated guess), or a game I was in where a couple people on my team claimed the enemy carrier had more fighter squadrons than should have been possible (I'm guessing he saw some catapult fighters and got confused)?

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,706 battles

I generally assume that the issue of such things is far less than what they are making it out to be.  They are simply filling the gap from lack of knowledge, lack of understanding mechanics, lack of believing that there are players who are better than them: simply as cheats.

[SYN]
Members
14,350 posts
10,218 battles

Cheats exist in all games, including WoWs.

I don't think cheaters are all that rampant in WoWs.

Aim Assist will tell you where to aim, but this is not particularly useful against ships that are doing evasive maneuvers.
WoWs is also server side based, so there's just no way of getting things like...

• 100% perfect dispersion
  • Always citadel
  • Always light fires
  • No-clip, Fly anywhere
  • Infinite hangar capacity
  • Iinfinite consumables with instant cooldown
  • See everywhere Wall hack

...type of hacks, without hacking the server files.

And if a cheater did hack the servers, then they would alter the server files, which will affect EVERYONE. When the server files are altered, there's no way one person could have any of the above, without everyone else also getting it.

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

There is, or was, a you tube video of a guy using an aimbot in a St Louis (T3 US) about a year ago or so.  It was actually laughable at how bad he was WITH the aim hack.   At that time I was pretty new to the game and had been running the St Luis quite a bit..  She is a non stop stream of shells that any Tater could just adjust a bit and rain hell on someone.  This guy was totally missing broadside ships at like 6k using his aim cheat and bragging about it.  The comments were probably the best thing about that vid.

Yes, they exist.  No, they don't do anything that a person that has any idea about aiming at all can do.  They don't magically know where the ship is going to turn and honestly aiming on your own you can anticipate what might happen.  Aim cheats are like torp fire indicators.  They tell you where to shoot if your torps/shells were to hit right now.  Not when they actually get there.   Realistically you could say that any torp equipped ship in the game has a built in "aim cheat" on it.  That is all the torp indicator is.  Guns don't have a gray line to help you lead your target.  You have to guess that on your own.  I say get rid of the torp fire indicator and make them guess it out just like gun fire.  (and yes I play torp boats too)

People that claim others use cheats are usually just butt hurt because they got killed for being dumb.   People that actually have to rely on an aim cheat are probably not good enough to actually do any real damage in a game unless they get lucky.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[NATO]
Members
151 posts
15,830 battles

Just did a search, and won't post links but I have now seen two of them.... and you have to pay real $.... Makes you feel bad for the ones that are 'cheating'.

[-S-R-]
Members
316 posts
7,091 battles

No.  Shhhhhh.  They're not real....J/K.....maybe....

Seriously though, there will always be people who cheat at anything even if the gain is de minimus and they don't need to.

Look at Brady and the deflated footballs.  He absolutely knew what was going on and allowed or possibly encouraged that tampering to occur.  Why would he do that?  I hate the guy but I admit he's probably the best QB EVER to play the game.  He didn't NEED that edge but he sought it.  Cheating makes no sense but people are driven to do it.

All that said, while it likely exists, I don't believe it is a significant presence in the game.

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

My thinking is this:

If people will pay real, substantial money for a cartoon boat that's almost like a cartoon boat they don't have to pay for (like $$Texas$$ as opposed to free New York), then why is it unreasonable to think that they'll spend real, insubstantial money for a thing that'll help them play their cartoon boat better?

I think it makes people 'feel better' to just put on rose colored glasses and repeat the soothing mantra: "Almost no one uses them. Almost no one uses them."

Members
9,862 posts

Really, the bigger concern in all of this to me is WG's rabid reaction to any discussion of the recent youtube player that gave himself up by accident in his stream.

WG didn't lock any of the discussions about it, they DELETED them. They wanted no trace in the forums that  the issue ever existed.

None of the discussions mentioned the cheat, they were simply discussing how a unicum level youtuber was using it to his advantage.

Why is WG so afraid to allow any discussion about a problem? Is it that they don't want it to spread? Or they simply don't want players to know that there's a problem in the first place?

It's clear WG has no way to detect this cheat, so really, no one will know how bad the issue is, including WG.

Clan wars may be very interesting when they finally implement them, since you would expect clan players to actually know what wasd is, any aim assist cheat should have a more limited effect there....

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,737 posts
6,699 battles

Yes, there are illegal mods out there.

No, the guy that killed you in your last game most likely didn't have one of them.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
43 minutes ago, Lert said:

Cheats / exploits exist, but are far, far more rare than hackusers seem to think they are. Chances of one being in that one match you were in, are near nil.

giphy.gif

[ARGSY]
5,088 posts
18,616 battles

Cheat cannot beat the WASD hack or the RNG in this game. Afaik there is/was a aimbot, but he only gave you an idea where to aim if the enemy would sail with the same speed in the same direction.

Wish I would have got a premium ship everytime someone called me a hacker.

Members
9,862 posts
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Cheat cannot beat the WASD hack or the RNG in this game. Afaik there is/was a aimbot, but he only gave you an idea where to aim if the enemy would sail with the same speed in the same direction.

Wish I would have got a premium ship everytime someone called me a hacker.

Except that's not who the player base is...is it? :Smile_teethhappy:

And having a unicum level you tube player using it, seems to say it's effective.:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,794 posts
18,662 battles

Wait until the clan wars battles come out then you will really see cheat modes being used  ! ! ! !

[ARGSY]
5,088 posts
18,616 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

And having a unicum level you tube player using it, seems to say it's effective.:cap_hmm:

Yeah I read this one. But you cannot use the cheat if you didn't own a minimum of skill. It will not turn the usuall potato into a unicum.

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts

To answer your question aimbots/hacks/exploits/cheats are real.

You, on the other hand, are a figment of my imagination.

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Yeah I read this one. But you cannot use the cheat if you didn't own a minimum of skill. It will not turn the usuall potato into a unicum.

If by "minimum of skill" you mean the ability to line up 2 dots and left click your mouse then...  sure.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,350 posts
10,218 battles
8 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

If by "minimum of skill" you mean the ability to line up 2 dots and left click your mouse then...  sure.

There is more to it than that for unicum levels of play.

This is not CoD, where you have multiple lives and all you have to do is out kill the enemy to win on points.

You get one life and have to be very smart about how to expend your HP to win.