You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JervisBay

Another update....another load of graphical fantasy.

68 comments in this topic

Members
1,899 posts
4,448 battles

Here we are with version SixpointWhatever and we now have every sinking ship heading to the abyss accompanied by massive fireballs of exploding ordnance and fuel.
That's it, WG....keep the graphical rubbish coming; that's what product improvement is all about. Completely ignore the fact that not every foundering was a scene from Dante's "Inferno".

Actually, there is a benefit (for me) as a result of what you've done - my desire to play this game has dipped below the level to which it had sunk before the latest "update". Thanks.

• Cool 2

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,764 posts
5,805 battles

A bit excessive perhaps but there is a reason for it.

The death scene is a holdover from WoT. The devs long ago admitted they made a mistake trying to make WoTonWater when they made WoWs and thus the exploding ships for every death.  Its gamey.....

The eyecandy explosions are very over the top....

The UK battleships are just large versions of Russian cruisers, flinging HE around and instafires and taking huge hits every time someones AP, even a cruisers, round hits them. Not only that but its starting to look like another bow camping line beginning with KGV....which is THE LAST thing this game needed....more campers.

Im finding the game a little frustrating at this point. Perhaps the UK BB's are a way to drive BB's off the server, being fed up with constantly being on fire.

[INTEL]
Members
8,399 posts
25,196 battles
2 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

Im finding the game a little frustrating at this point. Perhaps the UK BB's are a way to drive BB's off the server, being fed up with constantly being on fire.

I'm finding it very frustrating. Didn't the supertesters say this was a really bad idea?

Members
780 posts
6,740 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

Didn't the supertesters say this was a really bad idea?

you imply that someone listens to them... lol

i'm not liking that every time my ships blows up i have to check to see if i was detonated because it happens way too quick and the sound effect that accompanies it just throws me off... my 2c anyway

• Cool 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,764 posts
5,805 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

I'm finding it very frustrating. Didn't the supertesters say this was a really bad idea?

WG has proven over the years that they just dont listen to us. They sure as hell didnt listen to the CBT's when we were [edited] about CV's..... Dev's need to get past the idea that WoWs is their game now, it belongs to the players.....without the players the game is nothing.

To be fair to WG, my experience has been that game dev's never listen to the community, their excuse always being along the lines of the forums represent a small % of the player base so these must be all the complainers. I feel that the forum regulars are more likely to be the hard core long term supporters of the game and have every right to complain and be heard as we are the ones planning on being here for a while.

• Cool 5

Members
1,899 posts
4,448 battles
20 minutes ago, DeadIyArT said:

this is an arcade game you know not a simulator. FYI

Oh, don't start that shite, f'r Christ's sake!!!
Yes...it is a game...it is not a simulator. I found that out over 18 month's ago.
But it doesn't have to be simply a load of fantasy rubbish....it IS possible to have some realism, particularly with the sinking effects, where the graphics are now completely and utterly excessive silliness.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,023 posts

Welcome back Jervis.

You can always be counted on for your wit and insight.  Well perhaps half.

I heard a rumor that someone invested in a new rope, but there were complaints about it.

• Cool 13

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

You know, if people and companies thought that graphics were not worth improving, we might as well still be stuck with pong and other 2 bit video games.

You're more than welcome to go play pong or donkey kong or something if you dont want new graphics. Up to you.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles
6 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

You know, if people and companies thought that graphics were not worth improving, we might as well still be stuck with pong and other 2 bit video games.

You're more than welcome to go play pong or donkey kong or something if you dont want new graphics. Up to you.

There we go, if you don't like it, go somewhere else with your time and money. Great idea. Am sure that will do wonders for the future of the game. How about an option to turn the crap off for those who are not interested in it like we do with ARP content instead of driving off players? BTW what you are calling an improvement, some of your fellow players are calling crap.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 2

Members
948 posts
5,544 battles

It is pretty ridiculous. I'd be all for the massive explosions and fireballs if it was a detonation, but simply sinking due to shell fire should NOT produce massive fireballs.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

an option to turn the crap off for those who are not interested in it

So what you are saying,

(No, don't interrupt as I want to be sure I have this right)

is that you want an option to play the naval combat game ...

without explosions?

I'll get right on that!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

So what you are saying,

(No, don't interrupt as I want to be sure I have this right)

is that you want an option to play the naval combat game ...

without explosions?

If that is what you read... But am talking about the new animations including gunfire/smoke/flash and detonations. Was fine with the old ones, the new ones are crap. But hey thanks for the snarkiness, people like you make the game and forums a real joy to participate in.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,345 posts
10,218 battles

real footage

oh look... much explosion and plumes of smoke

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
37 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Welcome back Jervis.

You can always be counted on for your wit and insight.  Well perhaps half.

I heard a rumor that someone invested in a new rope, but there were complaints about it.

:cap_like::Smile_medal:

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,708 battles

Hi

For the record I like the new effects they look good however there is down side to them there too good and they can obscure line of sight, a couple of times I've wanted to line up shots on ships and had to wait a number of seconds to do so.

In this game SECONDS count whether you live or die , win or lose so WG either needs to tone it down some what or give people the option of going back to the old graphics.

I guess there's now easy answer to this all we can do is voice our thoughts and opinions to WG and see what happens.

regards

[5BS]
Members
4,427 posts

I don't mind the new graphics however the one graphic I want, they probably won't do, and that's persistent gun smoke (like a trail) behind a ship as it fires. No it shouldn't be 'obscuring' in a spotting sense, but should be present. There's a great video out there, can't find it at the moment, of an Iowa doing a full speed firing test of both it's MB and secondary 5/38" where the most noticeable thing (beyond the fire rate of the 5/38") is that a long trail of smoke is left behind from the gun smoke. Would be a nice graphical touch to have a light, purely visual, smoke trail.

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,900 battles

Wasn't most WW2-era naval battles fought in black and white?

I looked at some episodes of Victory at Sea and The Silent Service and it sure looks that way.

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

I kind of like the effects of the secondary batteries going off.  sadly it's more flash than substance, as they don't have the range or accuracy to hit anything.  destroyers drive right up to you and torp you and swim away without a scratch.  they need to fix that before they worry about graphics.  

Edited by OstwindFlakpanzer

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Give it a week, maybe a month, and we'll all forget the graphics changed. It will seem like its always been this way. 

I do agree the graphics are amazing but I also believe they are a tad over the top; not a twelve-pack over, more like two or three cans over. I too have looked to see if I was destroyed by a Devastating Strike to only find out no, just regular stuff. No flags, sorry. 

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

a Devastating Strike to only find out no, just regular stuff. No flags, sorry. 

You mean a Detonation.

A Deva Strike is when you're sailing past an island in your full HP Izumo and you see Akatsuki skittering away in a cloud of smoke and you know you've been had and then suddenly you get plowed by 9 fish for a total of 111670 damage, instantly removing you from the fight. Or are sailing along in your Charles Martel and you see for a brief moment the flash of a Montana 24 km away-- only on the minimap, mind you, as he slips behind an island and unloads before you could see him. Then suddenly 4 citadel hits and 3 regular pens and 2 overpens later, you're dead to first blood because you were broadside in a straight line. 

A Detonation is that thing when a DD pop gun hits beneath your turret for 153 damage, HE then you explode because you forgot your flags and that HE damage did hit your Magazine module.