You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ASHAMAN100

Excessive smoke from fires hampers torpedo spotting and aiming.

12 comments in this topic

[RAZE]
Members
64 posts
14,501 battles

I might be the only player with this issue.

When set on fire, the new [granted spectacular] visual effects includes in my opinion excessive smoke [even with the reduction option active in settings].

This hampers my ability to both spot and fire torpedoes as well as detecting small fast moving targets [dd's].

In my opinion this amount of reality hampers ones ability to do effective close quarters combat.

I never had this problem until 0.6.10.

Please advise - do not bother if the answer is "live with it" .

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles

Same problem here as well, even failed to suicide ram a large BB because of the smoke from fire and that's when you know there is major visibility problem...

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
29 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

So, realistic immersion, then?

Sweet lets do it then. No torp reloads, nerf rates of fire for some guns, remove rocks/islands, remove Axis players from Allied teams and vice versa, dump Steven Seagal as a captain, etc etc... If we are going realistic lets do it right. Picking and choosing what realistic stuff is needed/wanted in the game seems to be too arbitrary and now it is just plain annoying. It changes gameplay and not for the better.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Sweet lets do it then. No torp reloads, nerf rates of fire for some guns, remove rocks/islands, remove Axis players from Allied teams and vice versa, dump Steven Seagal as a captain, etc etc... If we are going realistic lets do it right. Picking and choosing what realistic stuff is needed/wanted in the game seems to be too arbitrary and now it is just plain annoying. It changes gameplay and not for the better.

That isn't even a reasonable argument.

If this game was as realistic as possible, it would be unplayable.  A game would take hours, if not days, as most actual naval battles did.  Some realistic qualities simply have to be removed to make the game playable, more fun, reduce que times, etc.  Some realistic elements can be included to increase immersion.  It is up to the developers to decide what can be included and what can't, and how much of the player feedback they act upon.

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
20 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

That isn't even a reasonable argument.

If this game was as realistic as possible, it would be unplayable.  A game would take hours, if not days, as most actual naval battles did.  Some realistic qualities simply have to be removed to make the game playable, more fun, reduce que times, etc.  Some realistic elements can be included to increase immersion.  It is up to the developers to decide what can be included and what can't, and how much of the player feedback they act upon.

That is my point. No need for "realistic" smoke and flash if we are not going after realism. The older graphics were just fine, not sure what drove the change to this mess. If people want the new, fine, but allow players to opt out of it like we do any other immersion breaking crap like ARP, Dragon ships, national voices, etc. After spending a year on the forums I have yet to see any call from players for these changes. If I were more a cynic I would think Wargaming does not want or can not address the real issues in the game and just offers up the new smoke and noise to make the game more interesting for the graphically inclined. IMHO it does not make the game better in any way other than when in spectator mode.

BTW if they are after "realistic immersion" lets remove the music and drums and add the screams of wounded and dying sailors instead.

Edited by Taylor3006

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
4 minutes ago, UncannyTransmition said:

Pretty sure they are optional. think if you switch back to dx9 they don't use them. haven't checked though

Thanks Uncanny, will check it out when I get home. Was thinking that maybe going from high graphics settings to low might get rid of them as well. It is a shame too, just upgraded my graphics so I could play on high settings.

Edited by Taylor3006

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,327 posts
9,387 battles

That's a GREAT idea !!!!

So every time my Battleship gets set on fire, I get smoke rings.  Hey, thanks for the concealment..  no no .. I  won't put the fire out.

Now THAT'S what they should have done instead of nerfing invisifire.  You get one or two fires..  then target vanishes.

That'll be great when I'm the last ship in the match as a CV.  Come on !!  Set me on fire so I can spot you with my fighters and my Kaga 8" secondaries can tear you to shreds.

[BLUE_]
Beta Testers
20 posts
5,412 battles

It is not really immersion it is PoV.  The one view perspective we get is looking directly into the new fire effect.  I was hoping there was a mod like the enhanced tracers that illuminated torps but if it did exist it seems to be gone now.

Members
842 posts

yeah, it's bad for close combat - it makes aiming almost impossible through the gun bloom, and the massive amounts of smoke (both of your and the enemies) obscure everything.

But I also notice that the "splash" of missing rounds is really obscuring the target, too.  Take a wildly maneuvering DD that's under fire from 3 or so other ships. The water effects of the geyser splashes from the misses make aiming EXTREMELY difficult. It's almost like having a 5-second smoke screen.

This is all visual "Bling" and actually is both distracting and harmful to game play. It should be removed, or, at the very least, able to be turned off.

This is a video game, not a simulator. Game play trumps "realism".