Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

DD and Cruiser Folks, How would you have "your" BB play?

99 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

 

Still hating on the best example of the aggressive German battleship that exemplifies everything you previously said should be the pinnacle of battleship play?

No,  Hating on the T7 Premie that can't be hit with AP shells that pretty much ruined playing one of the best ships in the game.  (Texas).  Dudes with man buns and little poofy dogs run Sharns.  Maybe WG should release a Sharn based set of man rompers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

 

Still hating on the best example of the aggressive German battleship that exemplifies everything you previously said should be the pinnacle of battleship play?

You wear those don't you... Come on..  Admit it.  Man bun and rompers.  lol.  Maybe an "old school" Pokémon T shirt to go with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,102
Members
19,958 posts
5,467 battles
12 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

No,  Hating on the T7 Premie that can't be hit with AP shells that pretty much ruined playing one of the best ships in the game.  (Texas).  Dudes with man buns and little poofy dogs run Sharns.  Maybe WG should release a Sharn based set of man rompers. 

 

To be fair, ironically I think your preferred playstyle hampers you here. They aren't that tough out past 10km.

 

Also, and I know I have to remind myself to do it in a BB, what about shooting the superstructure? I have pretty good luck in Konig against Scharn and Gneis doing that.

 

And yes, man buns annoy me too, except for maybe a long-haired guy going into battle. I gave Maui from Moana a pass when he did it to go up against that giant crab.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

 

To be fair, ironically I think your preferred playstyle hampers you here. They aren't that tough out past 10km.

 

Also, and I know I have to remind myself to do it in a BB, what about shooting the superstructure? I have pretty good luck in Konig against Scharn and Gneis doing that.

Texas, In particular, has a hard time with the Sharn.  She has limited range on her guns and the Sharn has 6k torps.  By the time you close to a distance where you can effectively fire, and being a big slow plodding tub of grease,  you just opened yourself up to a can of whooparse from a ship that you can't pen with AP and will smoke you in about 10 seconds with torps.  In any other ship in the tech line I would agree with you 100%.   When WG released the Sharn it pretty much told everyone that bought Texas to Eff off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,602
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,799 posts
3,895 battles
12 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

You wear those don't you... Come on..  Admit it.  Man bun and rompers.  lol.  Maybe an "old school" Pokémon T shirt to go with?

 

...No. Actually. And I fail to see what someone wears has to do with a heavily armed, heavily armored tier 7 fast battleship premium that you only hate because it gives you a hard time in a tier 5 dreadnought that already kind of sucked.

 

I have little trouble with Scharnhorst in my Kongo. The problem isn't Scharnhorst. It's Texas.

 

For the record I tend to wear polos and cargo pants, work a white collar tech sector job, and prefer cats to dogs. I can't love a pet that doesn't have the ability to make me bleed when it is displeased.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
953 posts
4,475 battles

I always like pushing BBs, so much easier to launch torpedoes at them, but on a serious note, how the hell can I play my Bismark (I got from campaign) like that? Every time I try to push, I die horribly... It was so good on PT, I do not understand, maybe PT had a lot of potatoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

 

...No. Actually. And I fail to see what someone wears has to do with a heavily armed, heavily armored tier 7 fast battleship premium that you only hate because it gives you a hard time in a tier 5 dreadnought that already kind of sucked.

 

I have little trouble with Scharnhorst in my Kongo. The problem isn't Scharnhorst. It's Texas.

Reverse Psychology.  Of course Sharn isn't a problem for your Kongo.  Or any other Tech tree ship up and down the line.  Texas was a tank.  She could brawl all day long even up to T7 Nags.  That was the best.  Even the Tech tree Genny was manageable.   The Sharn is a crappy little bastard premie that needs to go away.  If you think Tex was the problem, then you weren't around to see her roll in her day.  Tex flat out kicked butt.  Played up tier no problem.  When AZ was released it was almost a yawn because Tex was doing most of what she did anyway.  On  side note, ask any CV driver of old about Tex's AA.  lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,602
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,799 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Reverse Psychology.  Of course Sharn isn't a problem for your Kongo.  Or any other Tech tree ship up and down the line.  Texas was a tank.  She could brawl all day long even up to T7 Nags.  

 

No. She couldn't. Nagato overmatches a good portion of Texas' armor. In fact, Nagato is even harder for Texas to deal with than Scharnhorst, which Texas can at least resist via angling due to the 11-inch AP. In this case all Scharn can do is fire HE and hope you're bad at managing fires.

 

Kongo's armor is worse than Texas/New York. What's your excuse, there?

 

I'm 100% aware of what Texas and New York are capable of. You have an opinion of the ship that doesn't actually line up with any reality.

 

You should play Scharnhorst. She actually does 100% embody everything you think battleships should be doing. Especially since you already played Gneisnau, whose AP actually will overmatch and wreck a Texas' armor.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

 

No. She couldn't. Nagato overmatches a good portion of Texas' armor. In fact, Nagato is even harder for Texas to deal with than Scharnhorst, which Texas can at least resist via angling due to the 11-inch AP. In this case all Scharn can do is fire HE and hope you're bad at managing fires.

 

Kongo's armor is worse than Texas/New York. What's your excuse, there?

 

I'm 100% aware of what Texas and New York are capable of. You have an opinion of the ship that doesn't actually line up with any reality.

 

You should play Scharnhorst. She actually does 100% embody everything you think battleships should be doing. Especially since you already played Gneisnau, whose AP actually will overmatch and wreck a Texas' armor.

You talk stats, I talk battles.  Tex vs Nag is/was the all time great battle.  Range fighter versus the close slugger.  Ultimate chess match for the Tex to get past the Nag range and get in and beat it down.  Yeah IJN armor sucks.  That isn't news.  Silly [edited] Shar comes along and  you can't pen it with AP.   Still have to close on it because the range on TX guns is horrible.  And the little fugger drops torps on you.    I honestly don't care bout the sharn because every other ship I have deletes it.  But dropping that on us made everyone that paid for Tex just go,"oh well"    Yes,  Tex sucks against Sharn.  That is my point.  Tex rocks against everything else.  Eff the Sharn  Only [edited] play it.  it is the "mommy can I buy a ship?" BB,  Sharn and Tirp.  Tater town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129
[DAKI]
Members
652 posts
7,337 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

The Sharn is basically a cruiser and a plague on the game.  It needs to be deleted and anyone that claims any success in it should be put in a special place in hell.   Pretty sure that all Sharn drivers use the "gender neutral" bathrooms. 

nah, i pee outside like a good pervert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,092 posts
5,245 battles
54 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Texas, In particular, has a hard time with the Sharn.  She has limited range on her guns and the Sharn has 6k torps.  By the time you close to a distance where you can effectively fire, and being a big slow plodding tub of grease,  you just opened yourself up to a can of whooparse from a ship that you can't pen with AP and will smoke you in about 10 seconds with torps.  In any other ship in the tech line I would agree with you 100%.   When WG released the Sharn it pretty much told everyone that bought Texas to Eff off. 

Not sure what the argument is trying to prove, but comparing a Tier 5 brawler with shotguns for armaments to one of the best tier 7 brawlers isn't going to really prove anything.  There are a lot of examples of Tier 7's taking a dump on tier 5's.  Just like a lot of tier 10's crap all over tier 8's.

 

If the Scharnhorst was released as a Tier 5 I'd understand the sentiment.  But even a Colorado is going to spank a Texas all things being equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,602
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,799 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

If the Scharnhorst was released as a Tier 5 I'd understand the sentiment.  But even a Colorado is going to spank a Texas all things being equal.

 

I kinda stopped taking him seriously when he insisted Texas v Nagato was "one of the all-time great battles".

 

No. New York vs Kongo is. The Immovable Object (NY) vs the Unstoppable Sword (K).

 

Texas vs Nagato is David's malnourished cousin vs Goliath's physical trainer.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,092 posts
5,245 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

 

I kinda stopped taking him seriously when he insisted Texas v Nagato was "one of the all-time great battles".

Yea didn't really see how that fight would work out either; one on one if I am the Nagato I am going to pretend I am an Atago and kite you till dead.  Only way the Texas gets close to a Nagato that isn't caught off guard is if it takes a cab that drops him off 6km away.  If the Texas didn't have terrible dispersion I could see how the volume of shells might work out.  But angled at range the fight is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,602
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,799 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Psicopro said:

Yea didn't really see how that fight would work out either; one on one if I am the Nagato I am going to pretend I am an Atago and kite you till dead.  Only way the Texas gets close to a Nagato that isn't caught off guard is if it takes a cab that drops him off 6km away.  If the Texas didn't have terrible dispersion I could see how the volume of shells might work out.  But angled at range the fight is over.

As I edited in, probably after you snagged the quote:

 

4 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

No. New York vs Kongo is. The Immovable Object (NY) vs the Unstoppable Sword (K).

 

Texas vs Nagato is David's malnourished cousin vs Goliath's physical trainer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,561 battles
14 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I know why you hide.  I am the one that deletes you when you show up.

I dunno mayne, I remember chasing you out of C on Trap in my Hindy and sending you to the bottom ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Ju87s said:

I dunno mayne, I remember chasing you out of C on Trap in my Hindy and sending you to the bottom ; )

Could have happened.  Many people can claim a kill on me.  I could claim as many on others.  Your point is?  If you were chasing me out of C on Trap it was probably because my team bailed and I was trailing and running for my life while your whole team was there shelling me.  You probably got the "secure kill" on me.  Good for you.  No HIndy has ever lasted more than a few breaths around me 1:1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,561 battles
5 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Could have happened.  Many people can claim a kill on me.  I could claim as many on others.  Your point is?  If you were chasing me out of C on Trap it was probably because my team bailed and I was trailing and running for my life while your whole team was there shelling me.  You probably got the "secure kill" on me.  Good for you.  No HIndy has ever lasted more than a few breaths around me 1:1 

lol no, it was a pretty even setup for the both of us.  We both went C at the start of the match along with a ship or two each.  I definitely didn't get the "secure kill."  It was salvo after salvo of AP into your broadside.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
3 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

lol no, it was a pretty even setup for the both of us.  We both went C at the start of the match along with a ship or two each.  I definitely didn't get the "secure kill."  It was salvo after salvo of AP into your broadside.

Ohhhhh wait.  This was bout 2 weeks ago right?  LOL.  I remember that.  I think I sent like 5 salvos at you and the RNG gods all decided they did crap.  You were like the unique butterfly.  I think we talked in chat after.  Yeah that was ridiculous.  Each shot I fired I was like,  Ok, he is gone.  Oh crap no..  stupid over pen.  And again.. and again.  Yeah you won the RNG Geezus award that day.  You should have bought a lottery ticket.  Did I compliment you after that fight?  I should have.   That was both ridiculous and fun. And you were like right there just about 12k.  Couldn't get my seconds on you, but should have deleted you with the mains in a minute.  Yeah that was good stuff.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,223
Members
4,082 posts
15,012 battles
3 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Confused by this post.  So do you advocate the long range camping?  Because that was how that came off.  If you do,  Then I might have to politely disagree.

No I don't advocate long range camping. What part of the post that you replied to made any such insinuation? Reading comprehension, FTW!

3 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

The Sharn is basically a cruiser and a plague on the game.  It needs to be deleted and anyone that claims any success in it should be put in a special place in hell.   Pretty sure that all Sharn drivers use the "gender neutral" bathrooms. 

I do VERY good with Scharnie! Try one, you'll LOVE it! :cap_like:

Edited by ReddNekk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,561 battles
15 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Ohhhhh wait.  This was bout 2 weeks ago right?  LOL.  I remember that.  I think I sent like 5 salvos at you and the RNG gods all decided they did crap.  You were like the unique butterfly.  I think we talked in chat after.  Yeah that was ridiculous.  Each shot I fired I was like,  Ok, he is gone.  Oh crap no..  stupid over pen.  And again.. and again.  Yeah you won the RNG Geezus award that day.  You should have bought a lottery ticket.  Did I compliment you after that fight?  I should have.   That was both ridiculous and fun. And you were like right there just about 12k.  Couldn't get my seconds on you, but should have deleted you with the mains in a minute.  Yeah that was good stuff.

lol yeah, I made sure to stay just out of the secondary range. After a few salvos at me you decided to switch targets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,561 battles
58 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

No I don't advocate long range camping. What part of the post that you replied to made any such insinuation? Reading comprehension, FTW!

I do VERY good with Scharnie! Try one, you'll LOVE it! :cap_like:

Yeah, I'm not sure why he has such a beef with the Scharn and its armor.  Isn't the exact same armor layout as the Gneisenau?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
16 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

For as long as I have been playing,  The different ship classes always seem to gripe that the other person isn't doing their "job".    As a guy that spends a bit of time in DD's I could almost say that they get the worst of the bashing from the team, and that may hold true in game chat, but the poor BB driver is really the guy that just can't do anything right.  I played cruisers for a bit back in the day and they used to be useful, but for the sake of conversation let's just agree that cruisers are good for nothing but damage farming and as a team mate just expect that they will knock some HP off your target, or maybe secure a kill, and that is all.  If you get a "bonus" CA driver that get's out from behind an island you found a unicorn.  No knock on Cruisers guys...  I know why you hide.  I am the one that deletes you when you show up.

Back to the point.

Since all of you DD and CA/L drivers like to complain about us golden child BB's so much, how would you have us play for you?  In other words, "What can we do for you....our little under gunned and under armored children." 

Players like me, who like to buck the trend of the "camping" BB that sits back,  The one that seems to get all the hate..  We try to run the vanguard to a cap and hold it down.  That said,  sometimes it works well and sometimes it ends in a fiery death.  very good players here, people I may but heads with, but still respect, have said that if you stick around you can influence the game later.  I have seen this personally and it works.  I have been that guy and trust me.  Rolling around the map in a GK when the other team is all beat up and limping and just pounding out kills left and right.  Well that is something to behold.  lol.  It's like being 20' tall and walking through a field of midgets.  But,  I tend to go the other way and run the front.

So just make up your mind you other classes.  What do you want us to do?  If we push, we are stupid.  If we sit and rack major damage we are butthats..  If you want to hate us fine, but just pick a reason to hate us so at least maybe some people can do something you will actually like.   A good BB driver can roll 200k plus in a game, rock 4 kills or more..  Take some caps..  Team loses.  Oh it is that damn BB's fault.   

Every game you lose, just look at who the top player is and think, "what could I have done to maybe help him out."  If you weren't in a spot to help think, :What could I have done to be like him."

 

Just send us BB guys a memo when you figure it out.    Run in.. Sit back.. You make up your minds.. 

 

Get in the [edited]cap. Cover the [edited]cap. Do not edge hump and try to snipe in a [edited]KM BB it makes me rage. Do not go for [edited]D on the ABCD map sit behind 2 massive islands that have no fields of fire to cover anything else. Learn to read the map and where you need to be. Off on your lonesome or clustered behind the islands at the cap we took 10 minutes ago IS NOT IT. If you have full health at the end chances are you didn't do your job at all.

 

Check my stats I'm a BB (52%) main with a DD (30%) as my most played ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,602
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,799 posts
3,895 battles
15 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why he has such a beef with the Scharn and its armor.  Isn't the exact same armor layout as the Gneisenau?

Yeah, the only differences are Gneisnau's 15-inch guns and it's 2 knots or so faster. And we know he had to play Gneisnau since he has a Kurfurst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
417
[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,941 posts
7,259 battles
10 hours ago, yashma said:

I think you're getting caught up on the semantics of what it means to "tank".  It's not about agro management, it's about positioning.  A BB can't control if it gets shot at or not, but it can put itself in positions where it becomes a significantly greater threat to the enemy.    A BB 10km away from the enemy is going to be a bigger threat than a BB 20km away from the enemy.  This is what people mean by "tanking".

Even if the enemy decides to ignore the BB and focus down cruisers instead, at least this means the BBs will be able to capitalize to a greater extent.  A BB sitting on the back does neither of these things, he is less likely to draw fire from cruisers, and he is going to output less damage in turn.  

if its about positioning, then something fast and nimble is a far more effective tank than a bb ever will be.  something that can go 30-40 knots AND turn on a dime, something that will be able to re-position as needed in less than a day and a half, is a far more effective tank than a bb ever can hope to be.

 

if its about positioning ill take a zao, or even better a khab or gearing, which can maintain an advantageous position far more easily than a fat slow turning yamato or kurfurst could ever hope to.

 

a bb can control a position once control has already been established by smaller more nimble friendlies... it remains that it is NOT the job of the bb to be on the frontlines engaging the enemies before anyone else on his team.  it is the job of the bb's to support his friendlies when they initiate the engagement, not to initiate the engagement himself.  

 

but of course, if his friendlies don't actually take the initiative, then the bb's can't do their jobs as a result.

 

you want to know why you see so many bb's sitting in the back being ineffectual?  its because their teammates didn't do their jobs and start the push... the bb's are doing their jobs and hanging back, following the lead of their smaller, more nimble friendly teammates.  if their teammates never actually lead, don't cry about the bb's not doing it, since it was never the bb's job to do so.

 

the passive, back-map gameplay everyone always complains about is a direct result of players who possess the capacity, but choose not to exercise it, to move up in less than a day and a half... preferring instead to rely on the class of ship which has the least ability to quickly and easily re-position, to take the lead instead.  if you're waiting on the class of ship that takes the longest to get from point A to point B to stay in front of you... then no crapyou're gonna end up with passive back-map gameplay... but not because he isn't doing his job, its because you're not doing your job.

 

(and this basic principle can be demonstrated in various games, from warthunder to world of tanks, where the heavies follow the mediums and lights... to reality, where in actual naval battles from jutland to savo island, bb's never served as frontline ships... there is a significant difference between being the backbone of the battle line, and being the backbone of the front line)

Edited by Shadeylark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,561 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Yeah, the only differences are Gneisnau's 15-inch guns and it's 2 knots or so faster. And we know he had to play Gneisnau since he has a Kurfurst.

Gneise also has significantly better AA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×