You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Formidable

Your experience with Queen Elizabeth?

38 comments in this topic

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

Only had 10 games, so certainly a small sample.

But am wondering what other people's experience is.

Warspite has been one of my main ships, with over 780 games.

Queen Elisabeth is no Warspite.

What do you feel QE's dispersion is like? I don't seem to be able to hit broadside cruisers. All eight shots seem to go consistently over-and-under. So her dispersion pattern (even with the Aiming Systems Modification which I fitted out of exasperation) feels very different to Warspite. 

The guns certainly feel very different to her sister ship (even when Warspite had the slow traverse), so my problem may be trying to play her like Warspite.

And QueenE's repair, even with all the appropriate flags, also doesn't seem to have a cool-down fast enough to counter the incoming damage from just one or two IF/HE cruisers, which I'd normally swat with Warspite anyway I guess.

I've not encountered any serious carrier opposition in her yet, so I cannot comment on her AA other than to say it clearly gets stripped off quickly by incoming cruiser and destroyer fire. And the 5km anti-ship range of the 4.5in secondaries doesn't really come into play often.

Not loving her. Not hating her. Just not understanding her at the moment.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

Hmm, after 20 games - and the last 10 alternating with Warspite...

There really is no reason to use QueenE if you have Warspite.

Despite historically having been upgraded further, with better AA and fire control directors, radar etc... and exactly the same main armament, engines, rudders, hullform etc ...  Queen E is generally all-round inferior except for the mid-range AA (which isn't enough to influence a game anyway).

They did remove the WW1-era torpedo-storage rooms (which somehow retained live torpedoes, without the launchers!) as found in the in-game Warspite before and aft the main turrets tho.

But it doesn't seem to have reduced the rate of citadels.

Oh, they did remove the armour plate in front of the torpedo rooms tho (even though this was actually left behind in the refits - just not the uselss armed torpedoes). This would otherwise have improved her bow-tanking ability too much, I guess, without the torpedo room 'citadel' behind it..

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,271 battles

QE is the definition of meh.

Not the worst but it is definitely a step back from the Iron Duke.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

Good to know, I'm working on Nelson, and will pick up Warspite next time it's on sale (really wanted it for Ranked).  I have the other 3 BB lines, so don't see a reason to run a 4th BB line. 

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

I just got her. Five battles in and I feel like I'm playing a tier 4 after having such great experience with Iron Duke. This is definitely a step down. In my last battle I couldn't broadside an Iron Duke from 10km. Even after several attempts the Duke was doing more damage to me with HE than I was to him.
I also tried switching to HE for ships in the 12-16 km range and no fires. Volley after volley and no fires! I even have Jack Dunkirk 10 point captain and this ship is still crap. It's going to be a painful grind. 

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
3,582 battles

I've found the QE's gun handling to be very similar to the Warspite, so I'm not quite sure what the OP's experiencing, though it could be that my two games thusfar haven't given me a chance to have more challenging shots.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles

Below Tier VII, RN BBs have that terrible turret traverse, which is something that WG buffed on Warspite not long ago.  That turret traverse was a huge detriment for Warspite so it doesn't surprise me when people say they hate QE.

Only thing I can say is keep at it, that turret traverse issue goes away completely starting with KGV.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,578 battles
On 9/3/2017 at 2:15 AM, HMS_Formidable said:

There really is no reason to use QueenE if you have Warspite

Pretty much.

Whenever I was playing the QE I wished I was in Warspite instead. And that slightly improved AA isn't enough to save you.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,560 battles
5 hours ago, AmurTiger said:

I've found the QE's gun handling to be very similar to the Warspite, so I'm not quite sure what the OP's experiencing, though it could be that my two games thusfar haven't given me a chance to have more challenging shots.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Queen Elizabeth so far (19 battles). 62k average damage is way above my Warspite. So is 1.3 kills per game. (Win rate is irrelevant with that many battles.). Jack Dunkirk does help with the turret traverse, but I played the old Warspite enough that it just feels normal. The armor doesn't seem to take those weird, random citadels that Warspite still experiences. And the AA is superior - I got 26 plane kills in one battle where both red CVs decided I needed to visit Davy Jones. 

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
47 posts

I am not  enjoying this ship so far. Atleast with the Iron Duke i was able to do decent damage. The Queen Elizabeth cant. Each battle goes exactly the same for me, i have difficulties trying to get into range, and when i do, perfectly good salvoes which would hit on any other ship, magically splash around the enemy ship. And when i do get hits, theyre very measily. After half the battle is done, my team is dead while only having killed maybe 2 enemy ships. I get primaried by multiple ships at once and killed off instantly.

EASILY the WORST experience ive had in ANY ship in the game that ive played. I see only downsides to this ship tbh. Shes slow, turrets travers ABYSMALLY SLOW, damage output is low at best, and the repair party which was promised to be more effective on UK ships, is the same as any other ship, she only gets more. Playing this ship feels like an undeserved punishment for being interested in grinding up the tech tree.

• Cool 1

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
367 posts
8,957 battles

I was expecting less penetration on her rifles but my gosh they shatter almost everytime :/

Keeping it because I love having sister ships in my port, even if its so inferior in everything except AA.

Members
1,505 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I gave up on the RN BB's for now.  I just hated the Iron Duke and the QE doesn't seem interesting in the least.  I will keep my Konig and Bayern, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.  I do like the Hood very much for the RN.  I don't like the idea of a HE spamming BB all that much, counter productive to the game IMHO.

Pete

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,012 posts
5,102 battles

Her secondaries are terrible.  Just look at this at 3:13.

Also, her HE cannot compete with the Iron Duke at all, 8 guns vs 10.  35% chance fire vs 40%.  30 second reload vs 28.  So she can only use AP, and frankly, her AP doesn't preform as well as Iron Duke HE in my opinion.

Edited by Sventex

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
On 10/09/2017 at 7:03 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I gave up on the RN BB's for now.  I just hated the Iron Duke and the QE doesn't seem interesting in the least.  I will keep my Konig and Bayern, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.  I do like the Hood very much for the RN.  I don't like the idea of a HE spamming BB all that much, counter productive to the game IMHO.

Pete

Here here.  I have all the other BBs unlocked, just very little interest in this line.  Would like the Nelson for banging around in sometime. 

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

I've changed my mind

This ship is just plain bad

- Dispersion is poor when applied to just 8 guns

- Shells shatter more often than not

- Low HE boost not enough to compensate for either of the above

- Reload rate not enough to compensate for any of the above

- Glacial turret traverse even further reduces your chances of putting shells on target

- Secondaries contribute nothing, even when ships come into range

- AA effect is nice, but not enough to influence the game - especially when uptiered

- Takes heavy damage from IFHE

- Armour is barely adequate

- Torpedo resistance is poor

- Manouvrability is not enough to doge torps

- Damage control, even though somewhat boosted, simply cannot be applied often enough, fast enough against an opposing battleship or IFHE cruiser.

- Speed is barely adequate and doesn't compensate for other deficiencies

- Acceleration is poor, often leaving her exposed

Add all the above together, and you get Queen Elizabeth.

Scrapping this one and moving my 19 point captain back to Warspite to finish the grind.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,648 posts
8,024 battles

I find Queen Elizabeth not a bad ship but not the best neither. She have 381mm guns at T6 which is not bad and her accuracy is better than Fusou or Bayern. I didn't manage to get citadels against BB but 8-12k per salvo is enough for me. 

Members
1,505 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

Interestingly I made a post talking about the excessive HE fire starting of the RN, but the QE does not fit into this mold as it's fire chance is 35%, same as much of the rest of T6 BB's, while the Iron Duke is 40% at T5 and then the KGV is at 41%/Nelson at 46% for T7.  I guess there was no HE love for the Q.E.  You would have thought she would have been closer to the Warspite (HE 34%) in overall capability, but then no use hurting premium sales with an equivalent tech tree counterpart, so we make it worse, even though they were sister ships in real life.

Pete

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

you have to play this ship very patiently.    seems very much like the edinbugh.     only one match so far, so can't say much, but   i managed a win by surviving mostly.  still on stock hull though, so hopefully upgraded hull will help.    

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

I have about 140 games in the Warspite, and felt like the QE2 would play similarly based on the stats and modules employed.  It felt the same gun wise, decent enough accuracy, punishing turret traverse if you dare to brawl, good AP pen, especially at the noses of enemy BB's.  Warspite's secondary's are better than the QE2's, but the AA is far superior using the same commander skills.

Not every ship in a line is good, there are always some outcasts that people have to play through to get to the next tier.  I doubt the QE2 will be as easy as the Orion or Iron Duke to influence a battle, but I really dread the tier 7 based on some early reviews.  It's Ok, I won't hate grinding through it, but it won't be a transcendent Bismarck moment either.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

I've found that, unless all the cards fall your way, it's just next to impossible to do any serious damage with QE

Almost all my games go like this.

- Gun performance is poor at range (dispersion and pen, HE no compensation). Must close the range somewhat to increase damage potential.

- At moderate range, shells still shatter and pass over-under - reducing damage potential. Citadel pens are rare.

- At moderate range, concealment play falls off rapidly, exposing my average armour.

- At moderate range I must maneuver to angle my average armour, dodge torps. 

- Turret traverse is inadequate to catch up with ship turning - considerable time re-aligning guns to fire, reducing damage potential

- Ship accelerates and maneuvres poorly, making it hard to dodge torps and angle incoming fire.

- At moderate range, my speed is not sufficient to maintain the distance - allowing most other ships to close to torp range or high-penetration range on my average armour

- At moderate range, speed and maneuverability is often insufficient for island-cover play.

- At close range 10x4.5in secondaries are insufficient to seriously harm a destroyer

- When uptiered, AA achieves little. Not enough to swing a game at T6 or lower.

- When uptiered, speed, acceleration and maneuverability sees me get left behind by friendly fleet - leaving me exposed to being singled out.

- When uptiered I'm too slow and lack maneuvrability to counter inevitably longer-ranged opponents (cruisers upwards). Damage control cannot match incoming damage from even single uptiered ships.

- When uptiered, 15in shells tendency to shatter/fail increases dramatically - yet further reducing damage potential.

So in that almost inevitable sequence of events, QE has no redeeming features to break the downward damage-potential spiral.

Other ships have a combination of the above deficiencies - but also something to break the cycle. Powerful secondaries. High-performance shells. Speed. Maneuvrability. Visibility. Torps. Souped-up damage control.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

5 games so far in my QE2, small sample, and all stats exceed those earned in my 142 battles in the Warspite.  Mostly they exceed because the 5th game was a monster 5 kill kraken/confederate/dreadnought game where I used the superior 15" AP to citadel out 3 cruisers and beat down a New Mexico and a Fuso in a 1 v 2.  Prior to that game, my numbers were in-line with my Warspite numbers.  This ship is just a Warspite with better AA and weaker secondary fire, just like you would expect from the hard numbers published in the tech tree.  I have already made 39 of the 80k required for the King George ( free xp'd all modules and then monster xp from flags and bonuses ), so i will probably move up to the KGV by the end of the month.

Sorry you are having such a hard time with it, but I think most of what's going on is internal to your game play, not some secret ship sabotage by WG.