Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RevTKS

British BB's...worse than their cooking

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

261
[WOLF5]
Members
600 posts
11,991 battles

Wow, just got two games in the Tier V British BB...

 

My first impression is horrible ship. I think the turrets move, but I fell asleep before I could confirm that. The armor is lousy. The AP is terrible, except against other Brits. The HE is fun? Oh wait, nope not on a BB.

 

Glad I got this thing from the contest. 

 

Honestly, I'm being too hard on the ship...it probably has some merits. But you know what? I got home from work, was looking forward to playing with the new toys. Two horrible matches later and that went out the window. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,757
Members
9,862 posts
14 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

Wow, just got two games in the Tier V British BB...

 

My first impression is horrible ship. I think the turrets move, but I fell asleep before I could confirm that. The armor is lousy. The AP is terrible, except against other Brits. The HE is fun? Oh wait, nope not on a BB.

 

Glad I got this thing from the contest. 

 

Honestly, I'm being too hard on the ship...it probably has some merits. But you know what? I got home from work, was looking forward to playing with the new toys. Two horrible matches later and that went out the window. 

 

 

Play it more. AP works fine on cruiser broadsides, that you'd normally overpen, and I had no problems shredding a NY that showed full side.

Other than that, HE is much more effective than you expect, unless you have the side, HE is your primary choice.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
[TASH]
Members
4,990 posts
7,885 battles

Iron Duke was considered either second-worst or worst of the British BB line after/tied with Monarch by CCs and STs.  Similar thing to the Konig: more of the same stuff as the T4 at T5 and facing T7s all the time, and without the stupid armor that the Konig has, it's natural that she won't be as good at T5 as the Konig.

 

Might just be my own experience, but the British AP shells suck without their buffed normalization from ST.  I think I've got a grand total of 1 AP citadel in this ship after 5 battles, none of which went particularly poorly or were against predominantly T7s.  Been using only HE on anything beyond 12km and playing her like a slow, fat Russian cruiser - AP for CAs, and AP on BB superstructures/upper belts if you have their broadside.  Her concealment with a stealth build is also pretty hilarious at 12.5km: for a T5 BB, that's pretty good, and at that distance, you can reliably target BB superstructures with AP or be able to scatter your shells across the length of a ship for maximum firesetting.

 

Seriously, don't sell the guns short.  Just one tier lower on the Orion, the same broadside and guns/shells absolutely wreck face and make that ship a total monster.  IMO the British ships also seem particularly inaccurate without their upgraded FCS modules, so get that quickly, mount ASM1, and you can get some really good accuracy off the Iron Duke's weapons.  That HE also has so much penetration that the slight upscaling of extremity armor from T5 to T6 and T7 doesn't mean jack, and regardless of what armor they're packing, 200 more alpha and 4% more fire chance than the Montana makes for formidable ammunition.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
22 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

Wow, just got two games in the Tier V British BB...

 

My first impression is horrible ship. I think the turrets move, but I fell asleep before I could confirm that. The armor is lousy. The AP is terrible, except against other Brits. The HE is fun? Oh wait, nope not on a BB.

 

Glad I got this thing from the contest. 

 

Honestly, I'm being too hard on the ship...it probably has some merits. But you know what? I got home from work, was looking forward to playing with the new toys. Two horrible matches later and that went out the window. 

 

Just two games and the Judgement hammer has Fallen...... Never mind all the potatoes are out trying them as well and seasoned players are hammering away at the UK BB's. Give them their Due play them when the que isn't full of BB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
91 posts
127 battles
1 hour ago, RevTKS said:

Wow, just got two games in the Tier V British BB...

My first impression is horrible ship

Don't you think 2 games in battles dominated by BB's is a bad time to make a judgement?

The Iron Duke has the best damage record out of any T5 ATM and only 2nd to the Glorious Premium Ship Texas for WR, give it a couple of months and you may feel different.

BTW, I do not have any RN BB's on NA server, because my account is new, but the EU (13Ninjas) I will have T3-T5 as soon as the update has finished, I will come back and give my verdict.:Smile_glasses:

Edit:- British food is yummy, Fish 'n' Chips, Toad in a hole, Banger's 'n' Mash, I could go on, just watch Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey etc.

Edited by 13Assassins
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
324 battles
9 minutes ago, 13Assassins said:

British food is yummy, Fish 'n' Chips, Toad in a hole, Banger's 'n' Mash

Hell girl, you just made me hungry.

I had Banger's and Mash at my cousins when i went to the UK early this year, now I make it for my family here. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,225
[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Just two games and the Judgement hammer has Fallen...... Never mind all the potatoes are out trying them as well and seasoned players are hammering away at the UK BB's. Give them their Due play them when the que isn't full of BB's.

Lol yep my Myoko had and Nagato had fun with the British last night. A few players were in chat saying how RN BBs would take over everything now, then I promptly did multi Citadel and instant sinking of a British ship and said " I think I will just stick with my IJN ships.." lol got to love Nagato range and pen. 

My Bismarck joined in the Hunt the Royal Navy party I was having as well. 

I tend to look before I leap and I know the real life service records of some of those British ships and if Wargaming added much of any historical stats into some of them it should be entertaining for a while.

:Smile_popcorn:

Not saying RN ships did not have their strengths, but there are potentially some interesting surprises for Royal Navy players...

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[WOLF5]
Members
600 posts
11,991 battles
54 minutes ago, 13Assassins said:

Don't you think 2 games in battles dominated by BB's is a bad time to make a judgement?

The Iron Duke has the best damage record out of any T5 ATM and only 2nd to the Glorious Premium Ship Texas for WR, give it a couple of months and you may feel different.

BTW, I do not have any RN BB's on NA server, because my account is new, but the EU (13Ninjas) I will have T3-T5 as soon as the update has finished, I will come back and give my verdict.:Smile_glasses:

Edit:- British food is yummy, Fish 'n' Chips, Toad in a hole, Banger's 'n' Mash, I could go on, just watch Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey etc.

Two games is way too short to make any real assessment. I was just being a bit silly about my first two games being a horrible experience..."turrets might move" didn't tip you off that I was being a bit dramatic? 

 

It was just a bad start,  so I logged out and went on to something else. I'll try it again with a clean slate a bit later. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
241 posts
11 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol yep my Myoko had and Nagato had fun with the British last night. A few players were in chat saying how RN BBs would take over everything now, then I promptly did multi Citadel and instant sinking of a British ship and said " I think I will just stick with my IJN ships.." lol got to love Nagato range and pen. 

My Bismarck joined in the Hunt the Royal Navy party I was having as well. 

I tend to look before I leap and I know the real life service records of some of those British ships and if Wargaming added much of any historical stats into some of them it should be entertaining for a while.

:Smile_popcorn:

Not saying RN ships did not have their strengths, but there are potentially some interesting surprises for Royal Navy players...

 

I prefer Normalization on USN superheavy shells.

Also love how they keep their power on range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[WOLF5]
Members
600 posts
11,991 battles
1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Iron Duke was considered either second-worst or worst of the British BB line after/tied with Monarch by CCs and STs.  Similar thing to the Konig: more of the same stuff as the T4 at T5 and facing T7s all the time, and without the stupid armor that the Konig has, it's natural that she won't be as good at T5 as the Konig.

 

Might just be my own experience, but the British AP shells suck without their buffed normalization from ST.  I think I've got a grand total of 1 AP citadel in this ship after 5 battles, none of which went particularly poorly or were against predominantly T7s.  Been using only HE on anything beyond 12km and playing her like a slow, fat Russian cruiser - AP for CAs, and AP on BB superstructures/upper belts if you have their broadside.  Her concealment with a stealth build is also pretty hilarious at 12.5km: for a T5 BB, that's pretty good, and at that distance, you can reliably target BB superstructures with AP or be able to scatter your shells across the length of a ship for maximum firesetting.

 

Seriously, don't sell the guns short.  Just one tier lower on the Orion, the same broadside and guns/shells absolutely wreck face and make that ship a total monster.  IMO the British ships also seem particularly inaccurate without their upgraded FCS modules, so get that quickly, mount ASM1, and you can get some really good accuracy off the Iron Duke's weapons.  That HE also has so much penetration that the slight upscaling of extremity armor from T5 to T6 and T7 doesn't mean jack, and regardless of what armor they're packing, 200 more alpha and 4% more fire chance than the Montana makes for formidable ammunition.

 

1 hour ago, awiggin said:

 

Play it more. AP works fine on cruiser broadsides, that you'd normally overpen, and I had no problems shredding a NY that showed full side.

Other than that, HE is much more effective than you expect, unless you have the side, HE is your primary choice.

 

Good information. +1 to both, and thanks for taking the time to let me know where to work on her and her strengths, etc. 

 

Had a bad start, but looking forward to jumping back in tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
862
[WOLF9]
Members
1,021 posts

I got all three free BBs, so I started with Bellerophon. Four games in, I am 2 and 2 with 5 kills and 35 and a half K average damage. I don't know if that is good or bad, but the ship definitely strikes me as a first class POS. I have to assume it was designed to brawl in a broom closet since the shells are so slow you can watch them travel, but the dispersion is so bad you can't keep them all in your sight picture. The turrets move like snails with polio, and in lieu of a rudder it has some big fat Samoan dude holding a tiller at the stern of the ship, making its handling the envy of icebergs everywhere. On a possibly related note, I may have just been unfavorably impressed with the new light and sound effects which are, how shall I put this delicately: GOD ******, MOTHER*******, SHI* EATING, SOMEBODY NEEDS THESE CO**SU***** THINGS RAMMED SEVEN MILES UP THEIR A**HO**  annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×