You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JackBinary

USS Houston

19 comments in this topic

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles

With hurricane Harvey finally dying down, I'm back to make a post.

I fared pretty well in the hurricane, but I think it'd be a wonderful thing to add a new premium ship in honor of those who lost everything, and for those who died:

The USS Houston.

Along with the USS Texas, CA-30 (USS Houston) is one of the ships this city is most proud of. I'm mainly a Japanese destroyer player, but I'd love to own the ship named after my city. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, and the Houston metro area (which is essentially "Houston") is home to 6.8 million people, most of whom were impacted by Harvey in some way.

Thank you for your time.

CA-30 WWII specifications:

Commissioned: June 17th, 1930

Main Armament: 3x3 203mm/55 Main Cannons

Secondary Armament: 8x 127mm/25 Dual Purpose Guns

Anti-Aircraft Armament: 6x Quad 40mm Bofors AA guns, 4x Quad 28mm/75 AA guns, 20x Oerlikon 20 mm autocannons

Torpedo Armament: 6x 533mm Torpedo Tubes

Top speed: 32.7 knt

Belt armor: 76-95 mm

Deck armor: 25-51 mm

Barbette Armor: 38 mm
Turret Armor: 19-64 mm
Conning Tower Armor: 32 mm

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles

Here's some images of the Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast, since I forgot those in OP.

USS_Houston_(CA-30)_off_San_Diego_in_Oct

Image result for USS houston

Image result for USS houston

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

looks cool but one question are the torps underwater mounts? if they are  not then this is a good buy in they are then you are going to have some problems with BBs at close range

Edited by skull_122_steel
I suck at grammer

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

Tier 7?

I'd buy her.

Maybe make any proceeds to got hurricane relief in texas.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles
7 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

looks cool but one question are the torps underwater mounts? if they are  not then this is a good buy in they are then you are going to have some problems with BBs at close range

the Northampton class is incredibly similar to the Pensacola class, so I'd assume it's above water.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

Maybe make any proceeds to got hurricane relief in texas.

I like this idea, but the question is if they can make her quickly enough in order to give houstonians any benefit.

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
79 posts
14,351 battles
4 minutes ago, JackBinary said:

I like this idea, but the question is if they can make her quickly enough in order to give houstonians any benefit.

Only if you ask for a re-skin of the Cleveland class Houston CL-81 which requires minimum effort. By the time you got a Northampton it would probably be Halloween or a cruiser tech tree split and god knows when that'll be...

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I did a full historical write up on Houston a while ago:

Included is an eyewitness account of the events that transpired during the Battle of the Java Sea, and the Battle of the Sunda Strait.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles
6 minutes ago, ButterCruiser said:

id totally buy. since her namesake is my city and that i felt i didnt help other houstonians enough

I wish I could have done anything at all, I was flooded into my neighborhood.

Members
3,832 posts
7,758 battles
8 hours ago, JackBinary said:

I wish I could have done anything at all, I was flooded into my neighborhood.

*hug* well all i got was a flooded street. but i do wish i couldve helped others.....

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
10 hours ago, JackBinary said:

The USS Houston.

What tier do you see her at Jack?

[LWA]
Members
604 posts
8,725 battles
21 hours ago, skull_122_steel said:

They are mounted mid aft next to the rear tower in that covey, similar to Japanese cruisers.

A tier 7 USN cruiser with torps.....heck yeah.  Battleships will now get nervous when they get too close to a T7 USN cruiser.  As of now, it is easy picken's for the battleships when in close quarters.

Edited by db4100

[TGO]
Members
15 posts
4,436 battles
23 hours ago, JackBinary said:

With hurricane Harvey finally dying down, I'm back to make a post.

I fared pretty well in the hurricane, but I think it'd be a wonderful thing to add a new premium ship in honor of those who lost everything, and for those who died:

The USS Houston.

Along with the USS Texas, CA-30 (USS Houston) is one of the ships this city is most proud of. I'm mainly a Japanese destroyer player, but I'd love to own the ship named after my city. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, and the Houston metro area (which is essentially "Houston") is home to 6.8 million people, most of whom were impacted by Harvey in some way.

Thank you for your time.

CA-30 WWII specifications:

Hide contents

Commissioned: June 17th, 1930

Main Armament: 3x3 203mm/55 Main Cannons

Secondary Armament: 8x 127mm/25 Dual Purpose Guns

Anti-Aircraft Armament: 6x Quad 40mm Bofors AA guns, 4x Quad 28mm/75 AA guns, 20x Oerlikon 20 mm autocannons

Torpedo Armament: 6x 533mm Torpedo Tubes

Top speed: 32.7 knt

Belt armor: 76-95 mm

Deck armor: 25-51 mm

Barbette Armor: 38 mm
Turret Armor: 19-64 mm
Conning Tower Armor: 32 mm

Houston never received any 40 mm Bofors, and in fact, during it's late 1939's refit it lost it's torpedos in order to add, the after pair of 28 mm/1.1" AA mounts. That said YES! also the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast" deserves all the AA plus torpedos, as well as the high rate of fire she was claimed to produce, 4 rounds + a minute., and spotters rather than fighters.

[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles
20 hours ago, ButterCruiser said:

*hug* well all i got was a flooded street. but i do wish i couldve helped others.....

Plenty of time.  It's the post-storm cleanup that's where the hard work comes in.  Dirty, nasty, thankless task.  Did it during Francis, Allison, Ike, and now Harvey. 

But I'd buy one.  I bought the Texas, not because it's such a great ship, but because that's where I live and it's moored not far from here.

Members
43 posts
981 battles
On 8/30/2017 at 11:42 PM, JackBinary said:

the Northampton class is incredibly similar to the Pensacola class, so I'd assume it's above water.

Ehh, think more like Portland class, considering the main battery layout, and in that case we already have the Indianapolis. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
3 hours ago, JackBinary said:

Probably Tier 7.

I like this ship, and I like it at tier 7.

When compared to Pensacola she loses one 203 MM; which because of the unique layout of the Pensacola's means she actually has a stronger front main battery (6 forward firing 203 mm guns over Pepsi's 5), and a substantially weaker rear main battery (only 3 rearward firing main guns as compared with 5 for the Pepsi's).

However, to make up for that, she carries torps. (And no matter what anyone says, torps do make a difference.)

And I will never say no to any ship getting into the game as long as she's competitive; this ship looks very competitive at tier 7.

Good pick, Jack; thumbs up!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,204 posts
4,521 battles
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, Fallschirmfuchs said:

Only if you ask for a re-skin of the Cleveland class Houston CL-81 which requires minimum effort. By the time you got a Northampton it would probably be Halloween or a cruiser tech tree split and god knows when that'll be...

I wouldn't mind that option either but not to the exclusion of CA-30