You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

Akizuki dps

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,271 battles

shot-17_08.30_20_16.14-Akizuki.thumb.jpg.f4d71576fda017945f3e4d189da781f9.jpg

124 rounds fired, 1 pen for 198 damage...  really?

I was aiming all along the superstructure of a Tirpitz. 

This is not the first time this has happened. It seems like maybe if I am lucky 10% of my rounds actually do damage.

(sorry meant to put this in the IJN DD forum.. not sure how to move it)

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Without IFHE Akizuki can not pen the 19mm superstructure of T8+ BB's.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

You need IFHE and DE if you want to do any meaningful damage with HE shells. AP usually pumps out more DPS against broadside ships (even DDs).  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles

Do you see the "2" key on your keyboard? Learn to use it.:fish_book:

Akizuki AP wrecks broadside-ish things. the HE is for starting fires or for lower tier ships. If the ship is already on fire, you should be firing AP and aiming accordingly.

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,271 battles
11 minutes ago, saagri said:

I did not know that HE had to "pen" the superstructure to do damage, lesson learned. I thought HE could cause explosive damage and start fires. I had no fires at all. Just kind of depressing using this ship. I like the ship, hate the shell mechanics. 

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,271 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Do you see the "2" key on your keyboard? Learn to use it.:fish_book:

Akizuki AP wrecks broadside-ish things. the HE is for starting fires or for lower tier ships. If the ship is already on fire, you should be firing AP and aiming accordingly.

I will try to Learn to use the 2 key... thanks for pointing out that to me....  Much appreciated.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles
1 minute ago, Madman7 said:

I will try to Learn to use the 2 key... thanks for pointing out that to me....  Much appreciated.

Reading my post again, I hope it wasn't seen as me being too much of a smartass. I was simply pointing out that the problem was improper amunition choice.

Like when I'm wondering why I can't citadel the N-burg in my Scharnhorst... then realize I have HE loaded.:fish_palm:

• Cool 1

Members
8,077 posts
17,038 battles
59 minutes ago, saagri said:

Had a GkF crying about my Aki carving HP off like blubber from a whale with OWSF and AP back before the nerf; still possible now; just have to pay more attention to dodging.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I love Akizuki. I'll love the IFHE buff even more!

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Reading my post again, I hope it wasn't seen as me being too much of a smartass. I was simply pointing out that the problem was improper amunition choice.

Like when I'm wondering why I can't citadel the N-burg in my Scharnhorst... then realize I have HE loaded.:fish_palm:

+1 to you sir. Most people aren't perceptive enough of what they say, but it's quite evident that you went back and read your own writing. I don't think you've come across as a smartass, but your willingness to look in the mirror is laudable.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles
10 hours ago, Madman7 said:

I did not know that HE had to "pen" the superstructure to do damage, lesson learned. I thought HE could cause explosive damage and start fires. I had no fires at all. Just kind of depressing using this ship. I like the ship, hate the shell mechanics. 

HE must pen to deal damage. However it may still knock out AA and secondaries if it doesn't. 

Akizuki's HE chance is on the low side and may take awhile to set a fire. I remember talk in the past that HE fire chance is reduced if it doesn't pen but I don't remember if it was ever confirmed or not. 

Edited by saagri

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,022 battles

Sometimes I can't believe how effective the 100mm AP is on BB superstructures.  Broadside, angled, or otherwise.  I only aim at the supers, almost every volley is 600-1100 damage even at 9-10km, and I only have 6 of those guns on my Harekaze.  

The ONLY time i even touch the HE is if there's a BB that just used its DC.  I'll throw 5-6 volleys at it to try to get a fire, but then i am swapping back to AP to start doing damage.  

I do not run IFHE with her.  

Edited by AnimaL21