You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IcyThor

Updates

11 comments in this topic

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

I wish you could offer an option that we could play the same version and not have to download every update.  Updates sometimes take 24 hours (lousy DSL with ATT).  I do the downloads for PT an that is also time consuming.  Sometimes it feels like I spend as much time downloading as I do playing the game. 

Do we really need updates this often? 

Members
9,868 posts
3 minutes ago, IcyThor said:

I wish you could offer an option that we could play the same version and not have to download every update.  Updates sometimes take 24 hours (lousy DSL with ATT).  I do the downloads for PT an that is also time consuming.  Sometimes it feels like I spend as much time downloading as I do playing the game. 

Do we really need updates this often? 

How would you possibly expect that to work?

Wg would have to run a different server for each update, just not really possible with a game like this.

Edited by awiggin

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
4 minutes ago, skullval_2015 said:

wow 24hrs for a down load took me 10mins

It sounds like the OP has more problems than being on a DSL line. Assuming good lines even a 3 Mb line should DL any update in a four or five hours so it looks like he has line trouble either in his building or somewhere between himself and the central office.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles

f your hard drive isn't fast (or your i/o system is bottlenecked) then this game takes a *loooong* time to update.  It isn't the download speed, it is applying the patch.  I play on a Surface Pro, with the game files loaded on a miniSD card, and it plays acceptably well on minimum settings.  But this patch took about 5-ish hours to complete, and most of that was not the actual download part or unpacking. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles

They update the servers, not just your game files. Everything changes, so everyone has to update.

Can't help you on the slow internet. My updates usually take an hour max. Sometimes they play haywire with the computer (lagging and freezing), but usually no problems.

As for constant updates, most of the time they're necessary (6.10 for example). Although I could swear that there are sound improvements in every single update.

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It sounds like the OP has more problems than being on a DSL line. Assuming good lines even a 3 Mb line should DL any update in a four or five hours so it looks like he has line trouble either in his building or somewhere between himself and the central office.

ATT techs tell me I am supposed to get 3-6mps.  At the best I get 150kps.  ATT is upgrading to fiber optic in my area.  My guess is that I am being throttled to encourage me to upgrade to fiber optic.  My fps and ping during the game is pathetic.  But, I love this game so I have to take what I can get. 

[SHDWC]
Beta Testers
18 posts
7,057 battles

I wish they would have updates available for download seperately so a friend with a better connection can download them for me to install

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles
37 minutes ago, awiggin said:

How would you possibly expect that to work?

Wg would have to run a different server for each update, just not really possible with a game like this.

Wishful thinking on my part.  I realize now that it is impractical.  But this will be the 10th major update this year.  That seems a lot. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
1 minute ago, IcyThor said:

ATT techs tell me I am supposed to get 3-6mps.  At the best I get 150kps.  ATT is upgrading to fiber optic in my area.  My guess is that I am being throttled to encourage me to upgrade to fiber optic.  My fps and ping during the game is pathetic.  But, I love this game so I have to take what I can get. 

I would demand a big discount until they fix the problem, You are getting little more than dial up speeds.

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would demand a big discount until they fix the problem, You are getting little more than dial up speeds.

I negotiated a big discount on the basis of getting 3-6mps.  Now, I have to go fight them again.  Not to mention that I lose my connection if there is lightning anywhere within a 10 mile radius.  During the big flood I was offline more than online.