You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Don't avoid the fight!

18 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,405 posts
11,837 battles

Had another one of "those" battles... you know the kind.. where 9 out of 12 players go cram them selves behind islands in an area no more then 4 Km on a side...and then wonder WHY THEY LOST!

Basic of World of warships.. 

If your not shooting the guns your not causing damage..

If your not WHERE you can shoot the guns, your not causing damage.

If your ships has armor (*cough* Battleships) then you need to take advantage of it and take some risks  else you'll end up not shooting your guns.

If you don't have a "perfect" target (rare, the further up the tiers you go the more rare it is) then shot at the closest target!

If you kill the DD's first they're not a threat.. If you kill the CA's next they are also no longer a threat.. BB's without supporting CA's and DD's are known in the trade as "Lunch"

Games are won more on points then on kills..Victory conditions first, all else is a bonus.

If your close behind an island and you stick your nose out expect to be focused.. and have very little room to maneuver and not a lot of movement options..Bear in mind that usually being parked behind a rock leaves you a non contributor.

The closer you are the easier it is to HIT a target.. the effects of dispersion are 50% what they normally are at Maximum gun range if your at 50% of your gun range  (not absolutely accurate but close 'nuff for this post!)

If your team is out there fighting, and dying and your not out there fighting and dying with them and they loose.. it's YOUR FAULT!  This is not world of tanks... one ship is not going to take out the other team..Ships are tougher then tanks, slower then tanks, don't manuver as well as tanks and even the smallest ship in the game significantly out guns any tank ever made.  

If you use an island to mask yourself against the fire of a group of ships to take out one ship.. the group of ships is still out there waiting for you with baited breath.  The longer you sit behind an island the more likely the DD you DO NOT SEE is going to move into position to deliver a fish dinner to your unworthy self.  Believe me.. DD drivers LIVE for opportunities to do that.. It makes them feel all warm fuzzy and effective...

The more ships parked in smoke the easier it is to torpedo them because they get in each others way and inhibit each other ability to maneuver out of trouble.  There's a difference between hiding from incoming fire and actually hiding.  Know the limitations of smoke and it's tactical advantages and DIS advantages.   (BTW, hiding in smoke in range of a RADAR equipped ship is utterly brain dead stupid..(larger ships may get away with this DD's and CA's not so much) especially if the other team lights you up and drops a few tens of torpedo's off at you.. you will not likely see them until it is way to late to dodge them.

There's more then can be said but I'm ranted out for now..  In this game there is no substitute for using your brains to do more then keep your ears from touching.  This is not just a game of motor skills..and how well your TEAM does depend on how much everyone contributes to the victory.  There is no "saving" yourself for later.. maybe your that unicum, but after a couple years playing this game I wouldn't bet money or anything else on it.   

You do not have the option of dithering. Your ship is an asset TO BE SPENT..spend it well.  Spend it effectively. Make a difference.   If you must be hung, be hung as a wolf, not a sheep or a cow.

Warlord sends

• Cool 5

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

I've heard its been pretty passive play today. I'm stuck at work. :Smile-angry:

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles

I have seen situations where BB's got into the fight but cruiser players screamed they stayed in the back hugging an island and trying to shoot from over there while our DD's were shooting at cruisers and getting destroyed within seconds..

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles

I'm not generally one of *those* guys but Holy Biscuits.  The first two sentences nearly made me blow a gasket.

Your = possessive.  "Is that your book?"

You're = "You are"

• Cool 6

Members
9,868 posts
18 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Now if you can just get 80% of the players to read the forums!  :)

This. Not sure why people bother trying to tell others how to play in the first place. But since 92% of the player base never comes to the forums anyway, doing it here is an exercise in futility.

Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles

Passive play, or just 'whatever' play...

T10 match where I'm using Prinz Eugen and grinding my first KM captian up to 19 points, (within the last 125 cxp.) 

Thought we were doing okay, but then looked up and realized we were dying and the Reds weren't.

Near the end someone complained that it's hard to win when myself and another cruiser spent most of the game around C cap.

My answer was that it's hard to win when the T10s don't kill anything.

Afterwards on the score page one of our losses turned out to be a teamkill; and the only one of 5-6 T10s on our team that DID get a kill was a Gearing. (Admittedly, I had roughly 50k damage, but no kills myself.)

Passive play? I'm not a bullet sponge for T10s, (amazingly, 90% of my recent PE games have been T10, yay.) and I'm sure not going to yolo out stupidly from behind cover any more than neccessary in a T10 game. If constantly moving and trying to get firing angles is 'passive,' then I guess we two cruisers were guilty.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Aggressive play creates the kind of experience I enjoy, and passive play creates the kind of experience I loathe.

[SALVO]
Members
16,660 posts
17,308 battles
17 minutes ago, awiggin said:

This. Not sure why people bother trying to tell others how to play in the first place. But since 92% of the player base never comes to the forums anyway, doing it here is an exercise in futility.

To some degree, the people who are trying to "tell others how to play" are trying to enhance their own chances of winning.  Seems pretty obvious to me.

[SALVO]
Members
16,660 posts
17,308 battles
29 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

I'm not generally one of *those* guys but Holy Biscuits.  The first two sentences nearly made me blow a gasket.

Your = possessive.  "Is that your book?"

You're = "You are"

Bingo.  Glad to see that someone else found it as annoying as I did.

I also get ticked by people who don't know the difference between "then" and "than".  Of course, then there's the people who will come back with a retort that they're not in school, blah, blah, blah.  Sorry, but all life is a learning experience.  And if you refuse to learn from your mistakes when someone gently points out your errors, now you're being willfully ignorant, which starts becoming vastly more annoying.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,785 battles

I don't mean to poke holes into your observations...

But capping points can be equally as important as shooting your guns.  Sometimes even more so!  

...I couldn't make it through the rest of the post.

Edited by Sock5

[SALVO]
Members
16,660 posts
17,308 battles
38 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

I have seen situations where BB's got into the fight but cruiser players screamed they stayed in the back hugging an island and trying to shoot from over there while our DD's were shooting at cruisers and getting destroyed within seconds..

The reality is that not everyone (even decent or better players) agree on how to play.  If you go charging forward aggressively, but cruiser players do not, you may claim that they're not supporting you.  To which I would reply that I'm not going to let you dictate how I play my ship by how you play yours.  By that I mean, just because you charge forward, you should have no expectation that others should feel forced to follow your lead.  You don't get to "force" others to support you, if they think that what you're doing is the wrong thing and they don't want to be the second ship to be sunk, right after yours.  If I think that what you're doing is the smart play, I may indeed support you.  OTOH, if I think that what you're doing is dumb, don't expect me to throw away my ship supporting you acting on your dumb move.

Play smart and chances are better that people will support you.  Play dumb, and chances are pretty good that you'll get hung out to dry and deservedly so.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles
49 minutes ago, Prushn said:

I've heard its been pretty passive play today. I'm stuck at work. :Smile-angry:

Just got out of one where the BB's, cruisers, DD's, and one of our two CV's were right where they needed to be. Unfortunately the second CV suicide charged into an area with a very active Kamikaze with the expected results. We went down in short order and I died while trying to cap in my Orion which tells you how bad it was. Some days you are the club and other you are the seal.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,972 posts
6,460 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

BB's without supporting CA's and DD's are known in the trade as "Lunch"

this alone got you my upvote, because of how true it can be at times

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles
2 hours ago, Lillehuntrix said:

May I add that there is no treasure buried in J10?  That is for a team a few days ago...

Lol, I was there.

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

One this I tend to do with my cruiser is that I lead or be right behind my DD with others far behind.   I position myself so that i will be spotted, but turning away to minimize damage and kite.   this will make enemy chase me right into rest of my team.    enemy loves Cruisers to shoot at , especially at high tier.  I will normally lose 20-30% of my health which I can heal some of it back, but worth it to get rest of my team on my side involved.   

[HEROS]
Members
1,405 posts
11,837 battles

...The Next Day.....

Yea, I typo theresfor I are.

To the player who said "if you do some thing stupid and charge up..etc etc..

Yea, I get sunk, and your unlikely to be in a position to take advantage of any damage I might have done, your team is now down a ship and I can pretty much promise that the other team now has better map position.   I have a better then 35% hit ratio on my BB's that I play.. I always dish out damage.  I have a fairly high hit percentage because I get up there to where I can hit the targets..  It's not the players that are aggressive that loose matches... They may not end up helping to win the match, but they are not the player that lost the match.  

The point of it all is simple.   To win, you must 1. take objective(s), and 2. inhibit the ability of the opposing team to take objectives.   Everything else in the match is means to those two ends, and they both have to be achieved at the same time.   You must be in position to prevent uncontested passage across the map of the opposing ships, while still supporting the efforts of those on your side to achive objectives.  It's really really quite simple.. but then the simple can be quite difficult.   Where you spawn in on any particular effect where your able to move and what your able to do and the first 5 min are critical.   get stuck in early.. the more of the team that's stuck in early the better your team will do.. you cannot achieve map control from the back of the map.   This is not a land battle.  You really cannot surrender space for time. the matches are to short for that.  You can rapidly run out of time.    the strat of warships is more akin to "Go" or "checkers" then chess,   You must control the space, there's many ways to do that.  But your efforts are always in opposition to the other teams goals.   There is always friction, and resistance provided by the opposing team.  When there is friction and resistance generated by your own team against it's self because so many are so risk averse.. yea... ya know..that's a problem

The important reason why you want to be on the winning team..   More XP of all kinds, and more silver.   and of course ego stoking and bragging rights.  

like any Dicta  none of what I say is hard and fast.  they are guides toward victory.  They are not the road map.  The red baron, Von Richthofen summed it up with his dicta.  "Patrol your assigned airspace.  Find the enemy.  Get behind them and shoot them down.  All else is rubbish." 

Perhaps for warships we could have.  "Examine the map and situation.  Select your axis of advance and goal.  Pursue those goals aggressively seizing the initiative from the opposing force allowing them no rest or respite"  I'll keep working on it...I should be able to come up with something...or you could just look down below at my tag lines.

Perhaps more importantly though is take your share of the responsibility for your team loosing.. it's only a mear 1/12th of he blame.  

the roles of ships in the game are very simple.

. BB's are the tanks.  , the nose guards, the centers.  They always have additional offensive systems available for use.  Their HP Pool, There ability to recover HP, and their Armor. Primary Secondary, a AA suites.  You can deal mighty damage, but you can also shrug off mighty damage.  Use everything you got! 

CA's are supporting ships. The Hald Backs, and Full backs.   All about the razzle dazzle! Many bring special abilities to the table. And what any particular cruiser is capable of  is more varies then the number of cruiser classes in the game because they are capable of a greater degree of specialization then any other ship class.

DD's are your  interference..Tackles and Ends in american foot ball.  Potentially great big nasty bite, but, the higher in teir you go, the easier it is to counter them.   Also can be very specialized but not to the extent of cruisers.

Carriers...  The WIld Card.. Are they strike load out, or air supremacy, or balanced?  Does the CV driver understand how to get close to the opposing force to keep them spotted while keeping their aircraft out of the AA bubble?  Carrier drivers can bring wildly different capabilities to a fight.  Some times dominatingly useful.  Sometimes not.   

But the players are more important then the ships. How they play their ship.  How they react, and how they move out in those first few critical moment s at the beginning of a match.  More matchs are lost by a team in the first 1/3 of the match then are won.   The team who players make the least number of errors that are capitalized up on by the opposing team generally wins.  No one can tell you the "perfect" way to play any one particular ship.  It's an impossibility.  But the one thing "I" can tell you is with out risk, there will be no reward.  We drive warships in this game.  "Risk" is what we do.  Just like our real world counterparts.  

ok, I need more coffe.. and  I need to stop typing, and get to playing..  Later!

Warlord sends