You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
skull_122_steel

A USN CV Idea

5 comments in this topic

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

So as some of you may know the USN CVs have been suffering ever since the IJN line have been introduced. I have a idea on how to make them better without changing their loadouts

- first idea give the dive bombers the GZ's drop pattern (just a circle) but less accurate

- second idea make the fighters use 10% less ammo when strafing and make the dispersion when attacking an attack unite 5% bigger

I always saw the USN CV strengths as the fighters and dive bombers like in real life (I believe in WWII most of the japanese ships destroyed by aircraft where by dive bombers though I may be wrong) the torps are nice but I think the dive bombers should be your main striking force.

Edited by skull_122_steel

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

You're not adressing any of the issues with the USN CVs here.

CVs basically have 3 areas they can be judged:

Offense - Bombers (Reliable damage)

Defense - Fighters (Can take out enemy fighters and bombers)

Scouting - A squad that can reliably scout, without hurting offense or defense in a major way.

The problem the US tends to have is that it can fill up one area of the 3, and have another completely empty.

The USN AS setup gives it superior defense, but it's offense is unreliable. It does generally have ok scouting though.

The Strike setup gives it okay offense, but practically no defense and okay scouting.

The Standard setup generally has okayish offense, lacking defense, and poor scouting.

Meanwhile from Tier 6 on the IJN never really lacks substantially in any area with any loadout.

The US weapons don't help. The torpedo squads never number more than 1 in the tech tree preventing a reliable cross drop. While the torpedo pattern is great, it still isn't unavoidable for many Cruisers and DDs.

Their dive bombers are multitudes worse. The USN bombers hit HARD meaning you only need a few of them to hit to kill or really hurt an enemy. The problem is that even with manual drop the attack circle on a battleship is huge. Even with Air Superiority giving you 7 bombers the chance to hit isn't all that great. So now you must use 14 planes to hit a single BB 1-4 times. But what about cruisers? 14 might hit, but sink? So do you have 21 instead? And a DD? Forget it, just bring 21. And that's before you ever factor in DF or DBs being easier to shootdown.

So to put it simply the USN CVs are a victim of being not only inflexible but unreliable. 

• Cool 1

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
8 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

You're not adressing any of the issues with the USN CVs here.

CVs basically have 3 areas they can be judged:

Offense - Bombers (Reliable damage)

Defense - Fighters (Can take out enemy fighters and bombers)

Scouting - A squad that can reliably scout, without hurting offense or defense in a major way.

The problem the US tends to have is that it can fill up one area of the 3, and have another completely empty.

The USN AS setup gives it superior defense, but it's offense is unreliable. It does generally have ok scouting though.

The Strike setup gives it okay offense, but practically no defense and okay scouting.

The Standard setup generally has okayish offense, lacking defense, and poor scouting.

Meanwhile from Tier 6 on the IJN never really lacks substantially in any area with any loadout.

The US weapons don't help. The torpedo squads never number more than 1 in the tech tree preventing a reliable cross drop. While the torpedo pattern is great, it still isn't unavoidable for many Cruisers and DDs.

Their dive bombers are multitudes worse. The USN bombers hit HARD meaning you only need a few of them to hit to kill or really hurt an enemy. The problem is that even with manual drop the attack circle on a battleship is huge. Even with Air Superiority giving you 7 bombers the chance to hit isn't all that great. So now you must use 14 planes to hit a single BB 1-4 times. But what about cruisers? 14 might hit, but sink? So do you have 21 instead? And a DD? Forget it, just bring 21. And that's before you ever factor in DF or DBs being easier to shootdown.

So to put it simply the USN CVs are a victim of being not only inflexible but unreliable. 

ehh guess you're right I dont really play CVs but I fell that flight controls should be a bit more equal.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,373 posts
7,959 battles
47 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

So as some of you may know the USN CVs have been suffering ever since the IJN line have been introduced. I have a idea on how to make them better without changing their loadouts

- first idea give the dive bombers the GZ's drop pattern (just a circle) but less accurate

- second idea make the fighters use 10% less ammo when strafing and make the dispersion when attacking an attack unite 5% bigger

I always saw the USN CV strengths as the fighters and dive bombers like in real life (I believe in WWII most of the japanese ships destroyed by aircraft where by dive bombers though I may be wrong) the torps are nice but I think the dive bombers should be your main striking force.

1. They were introduced at the exact same time, in alpha/beta weekend, and were both live at game launch.
  2. The Meta from Alpha - Beta mostly favoured USN, from launch till I believe last March was the aircraft rework, USN, namely USN AS, was the go to ship till some aircraft were equaled out and they lost 1 TB group or fighter group at certain tiers.
  3. They already can use strafe more because they have more ammo, on top of the fact strafe should be removed because it basically auto deletes any plane in it.

USN fighters stomp IJN planes as it is, except MAYBE the highest tiers due to sheer numbers, which should not be a thing on either side. An AS USN ship still shuts down IJN CV's, just can't help if the team needs ships sunk, not aircraft stopped. Not to mention that pilots of equal skill, which the game should be factoring, these planes are equals. The problem is they tried "this one controls the skies, this one the sea" except it should be that both control the sky and sea, just in different ways, same as the ships. The GZ circle should stay with GZ, with USN keeping what it has but made smaller like Saipan and Kaga, allowing more hits to BB's to start fires to damage them, but mainly depending on set up more a DD hunter that can attack other ships decently (German CV's like GZ would be real DD hunters), and IJN more attacking BB's with it's TB's, it's DB's being less effective making it harder to nail smaller, more agile ships, with USN fighters controlling the sky via high ammo and HP, but low DPS, while the IJN planes have the DPS edge, but less ammo and HP meaning different tactics work differently for the two, but neither owns the sky alone, or the sea alone. 

But that all has to happen along with re-balancing AA, reworking strafe to just be a accuracy debuff to bombers, maybe a DPS debuff to fighters, not deleting 30+ planes in a go, manual drop removed entirely and replaced with something else if anything, reworking loadouts, etc.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Easy temp quick fix for the time being until the full overhaul comes along:

- Give AP bombs to all USN carriers tier 7 and up.

- Make the USN HE bombs have the Enterprise AP bomb drop pattern.

And voila. Suddenly, the 2-0-2 AS setup won't suck as hard as it does. I mean, there's still the problem with map control and IJN carriers having better secondaries, better concealment, better armor, better everything, but at least the USN squads will hit hard.