Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
yashma

Nelson HE can really hurt.....

23 comments in this topic

[OPG]
Members
3,904 posts
5,503 battles

The other day I took my Shchors out with a division mate to drink some tea and burn things.  At the start of the battle A Cleveland set me on fire, before disappearing behind an island.  Since the HE threat was gone.....I foolishly hit repair.  A moment later a Nelson drove around an island about 15km away, and he was most defiantly aiming for my juicy broadside.  I frantically tried to angle away, but then I noticed he was firing HE. I chuckled to myself and let out of a sigh of relief, his HE can hurt me......but at least he can't delete me.  Then the shells landed.....

Spoiler

btXupHB.jpg?2

I was set on fire in two places, and with my damage con on cool down I knew I was going to burn to death.  I was frantically looking around to see if there was another BB that had hit me......and then I as I died I noticed the Nelson had gotten credit for a devastating strike.  In a state of shock I asked the Nelson what happened, and he informed me he had landed 3 citadels.  By the time the shells landed I was actually fairly steeply angled as well.  I knew the Nelson had strong HE....but I didn't know it was that strong.  

• Cool 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,985 posts
5,711 battles

Yeah, I detonated a Konigsberg and a Perth back to back yesterday with HE when they caught me by surprise at close range.

Its honestly kind of stupid, but fantastic at the same time.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,364 posts
3,564 battles

1/4 HE pen 4tw? 

I for one welcome our new fire overlords.  

[OPG]
Members
3,904 posts
5,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

Yeah, I detonated a Konigsberg and a Perth back to back yesterday with HE when they caught me by surprise at close range.

Its honestly kind of stupid, but fantastic at the same time.

This wasn't a detonation though....it was raw HE damage with a little help from a double fire to finish to the job.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,610 posts
3,346 battles

Citadeled an angled Kutuzov with Nelson HE the other day.

The battle before that, I lit 14 fires.

The battle before THAT, I devastating-struck a farragut with one salvo. 

Feels good, man.

• Cool 1

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
1 minute ago, DerKrampus said:

Citadeled an angled Kutuzov with Nelson HE the other day.

The battle before that, I lit 14 fires.

The battle before THAT, I devastating-struck a farragut with one salvo. 

Feels good, man.

I can hear Flamu now from one of his Belfast commentaries:  "Feels balanced" *laughs*.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,610 posts
3,346 battles
Just now, Psicopro said:

I can hear Flamu now from one of his Belfast commentaries:  "Feels balanced" *laughs*.

Basically, I cannot stop laughing when I play Nelson.  It's just one massive British troll.

Xp2ShMG.gif

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,239 battles

Back when IFHE was introduced, there was much talk on using IFHE on German BBs, because their secondaries and large shell sizes.

Yup, IFHE German BBs were hilarious. HE citadel cruisers for days.

420mm / 4 * 1.3 = 136mm of penetration

Most cruisers don't even have a belt that thick.

Edited by MrDeaf

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

When I was grinding my KMS BBs, in my Bayern I HE citadeled a Leander. I had the wrong shell type loaded but I stil dev-striked him. I guess I'll be seeing more of that with the KGV.

• Cool 1

Members
3,646 posts
13,502 battles

Impressive! I've gotten several Devastating Strikes and citadels on Cruisers with Dunkerque's HE but never on a BB with her.

[REVY]
[REVY]
Members
270 posts
1,489 battles
2 hours ago, yashma said:

The other day I took my Shchors out with a division mate to drink some tea and burn things.  At the start of the battle A Cleveland set me on fire, before disappearing behind an island.  Since the HE threat was gone.....I foolishly hit repair.  A moment later a Nelson drove around an island about 15km away, and he was most defiantly aiming for my juicy broadside.  I frantically tried to angle away, but then I noticed he was firing HE. I chuckled to myself and let out of a sigh of relief, his HE can hurt me......but at least he can't delete me.  Then the shells landed.....

Reveal hidden contents

btXupHB.jpg?2

I was set on fire in two places, and with my damage con on cool down I knew I was going to burn to death.  I was frantically looking around to see if there was another BB that had hit me......and then I as I died I noticed the Nelson had gotten credit for a devastating strike.  In a state of shock I asked the Nelson what happened, and he informed me he had landed 3 citadels.  By the time the shells landed I was actually fairly steeply angled as well.  I knew the Nelson had strong HE....but I didn't know it was that strong.  

Its called Over Powered. The He pen mechanics are "special to brits only"  Enjoy the Brits now for awhile at least until the next latest greatest ship line comes along and they get hit with the nerf hammer.

[OPG]
Members
3,904 posts
5,503 battles
2 hours ago, Kerrec said:

Angling makes no difference to HE shells.

Not entirely true, HE shells can only citadel if they make direct contact with the actual citadel itself, meaning if you angle it should in theory prevent citadels entirely as the shells would simply detonate on the bow/stern or deck.  In my case this means that I probably wasn't angled enough and three shells landed on my belt....or it's possible the Nelson's HE's blast radios is so large angling doesn't matter.   *But I'm not entirely sure on how blast radii works in game. 

Members
484 posts
2,037 battles
11 minutes ago, yashma said:

Not entirely true, HE shells can only citadel if they make direct contact with the actual citadel itself, meaning if you angle it should in theory prevent citadels entirely as the shells would simply detonate on the bow/stern or deck.  In my case this means that I probably wasn't angled enough and three shells landed on my belt....or it's possible the Nelson's HE's blast radios is so large angling doesn't matter.   *But I'm not entirely sure on how blast radii works in game. 

The Brit he shells have a bigger radius from what I have heard.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

OK, but three AP citadels would have dev struck you just as hard - harder, in fact, there wouldn't have been those two ticks of fire damage for you to say your prayers.  And (unless the short fusing prevents this) 406 mm AP can find your citadel from almost any angle, since the Shchors is basically made of overmatch.

It is not that I doubt your point that British BB HE is bad news if you are a cruiser.  But is it any worse news than battleship AP, British or otherwise?  I'm not convinced you weren't right to begin with: if I'm in a cruiser, and an at- or higher-tier battleship is shooting at me, wouldn't I still prefer it be HE?

Still, I would love to see some training room comparisons if any are so inclined.

[OPG]
Members
3,904 posts
5,503 battles
1 hour ago, Lillehuntrix said:

OK, but three AP citadels would have dev struck you just as hard - harder, in fact, there wouldn't have been those two ticks of fire damage for you to say your prayers.  And (unless the short fusing prevents this) 406 mm AP can find your citadel from almost any angle, since the Shchors is basically made of overmatch.

It is not that I doubt your point that British BB HE is bad news if you are a cruiser.  But is it any worse news than battleship AP, British or otherwise?  I'm not convinced you weren't right to begin with: if I'm in a cruiser, and an at- or higher-tier battleship is shooting at me, wouldn't I still prefer it be HE?

Still, I would love to see some training room comparisons if any are so inclined.

Oh I'm not denying that fact.  This was by no means meant to be a whine or complaint thread, I just got devastating striked by HE in a Tier 7 cruiser, and thought it was something interesting enough to warrant sharing.  

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles
5 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

1/4 HE pen 4tw? 

Indeed.

406/4 = 101.5mm HE pen vs Shchors 100mm belt :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,494 battles
6 hours ago, yashma said:

Reveal hidden contents

btXupHB.jpg?2

I like the ship. The HE is quite nasty. It pays heavily for it with its high citadel, poor AP, and middling AA though. I actually got a pair of citadels on a Nelson at 20K in Bismarck of all things. I did a double-take. I don't think I've ever citadelled another BB at that range in Bismarck. Another interesting issue I learned last night is that Nelson seems to be fairly vulnerable to Enterprise's AP bombs. I blew through 2/3 of its health in one pass. That surprised me.

Edited by Tzarevitch

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles

because what little skill it took to play BBs in the first place was too much, now you have a line with built in training wheels.

They should offer pacificers and sippy cups in the package deal.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,692 posts
10,025 battles
19 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

They should offer pacificers and sippy cups in the package deal.

I think of them as my 'after the 4th beer' line...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this