You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Those clueless BB players....

21 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,789 posts
12,929 battles

It's very enlightening playing other classes outside your main.  Always good to get the perspective.  I'm a BB main.  I don't play a lot of DDs, but I do jump in my Fujin every now and then and have a go.  I enjoy it..and as the below will show, do find it enlightening now and then. 

We are in a tough match.  A friendly Warspite is getting focused, and I'm headed his way, and hot key "set a smoke screen".  I run a perfect screen adjacent his movement vector and I stay outside the screen (to spot)...not to mention other friendlies are also spotting.  And what do I get in chat from the Warspite captain?  "Why did you do that, now i can't see to shoot".

Sigh.  As I said.  Enlightening.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[TBOW]
Members
1,193 posts
10,473 battles

Wow... I am always like TY when I get smoke screen while in a BB, cause I usually really need it!

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles

Well, that's interesting. The only time I can recall not needing a smokescreen was if we had already killed everyone on that flank, and it's time to move on. Then it's a waste of a smoke.

Most of the time, I really appreciate it, even if it's just enough to turn around. I had a DD in ranked drop one around me after I ran aground, that was awesome. I should compliment those DDs more than I do, but I always try to drop a thanks in chat.

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,199 battles
43 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It's very enlightening playing other classes outside your main.  Always good to get the perspective.  I'm a BB main.  I don't play a lot of DDs, but I do jump in my Fujin every now and then and have a go.  I enjoy it..and as the below will show, do find it enlightening now and then. 

We are in a tough match.  A friendly Warspite is getting focused, and I'm headed his way, and hot key "set a smoke screen".  I run a perfect screen adjacent his movement vector and I stay outside the screen (to spot)...not to mention other friendlies are also spotting.  And what do I get in chat from the Warspite captain?  "Why did you do that, now i can't see to shoot".

Yea...about 50 percent of the time I smoke a bb and they just full steam ahead through it only to sink in about 1 minute. Especially in low tiers. A lot of people really are clueless about smoke mechanics. So at the beginning of the match I'll ask my chat who understands smoke mechanics so i have a better idea of who I should be around to provide that smoke.

Edited by Megrim3

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
42 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

not to mention other friendlies are also spotting.

Fun fact.

I've been killed by some moronic Friendly DDs dropping smoke in front of it, running out of it, getting then killed and now the enemy is inside of said smoke.

Though, yes in this case it's silly, we've all had the times where everyone that could spot was either in or behind the smoke cloud.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

You can please some of the people some of the time or everybody doesn't like some thing but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

Members
9,875 posts
6 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

Fun fact.

I've been killed by some moronic Friendly DDs dropping smoke in front of it, running out of it, getting then killed and now the enemy is inside of said smoke.

Though, yes in this case it's silly, we've all had the times where everyone that could spot was either in or behind the smoke cloud.

Happens far too often. DD runs in front of players engaged with the enemy, drops smoke, but won't spot. 

The enemy of course has a spotter on you from the side, and end up getting pummeled by ships you can't see....:Smile_amazed:

Members
332 posts
3,394 battles

I think what some DD mains don't take into account is the length of time it takes a BB to stop/maneuver, and they lay the smoke too early, or too close to the BB.  On the other hand...It is unfortunately true that some BB mains are zoomed out and never notice the smoke laid down for them they the team oriented DD.  Won't be as effective soon as a smoke is going to be less effective for BBs to hide in.

Members
3,333 posts
8,055 battles

I started out mainly playing BBs.  Now I mainly play DDs.  (e.g. I have Gearing, Z-52 and Khab)  I've found, where people are playing solo, that smoking BBs is usual a wasted effort and use of a consumable charge. The systems of communication in game don't well support the effective coordinated use of smoke by the general population who play solo. 

Members
3,333 posts
8,055 battles
7 minutes ago, 1dennistt said:

I think what some DD mains don't take into account is the length of time it takes a BB to stop/maneuver, and they lay the smoke too early, or too close to the BB.  On the other hand...It is unfortunately true that some BB mains are zoomed out and never notice the smoke laid down for them they the team oriented DD.  Won't be as effective soon as a smoke is going to be less effective for BBs to hide in.

I've run ahead of BBs to smoke them and till found BB drivers fail to stop or maneuver and make poor use of smoke in general.  Many BB players oblivious to whats going on around them near by and many DDs simply aren't quite fast enough to get into the best position to smoke BBs - particularly with BBs that can go 28 to 33 knots. 

I'm glad for the coming smoke changes. 

Members
17,849 posts
5,099 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

We are in a tough match.  A friendly Warspite is getting focused, and I'm headed his way, and hot key "set a smoke screen".  I run a perfect screen adjacent his movement vector and I stay outside the screen (to spot)...

You're one of the good ones then lol.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,226 posts
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Didn't they just change the mechanic so that ships behind the screen were not seen vs the old way where folks had to be in the smoke for it to work?

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,037 battles

If I see a situation where I think someone could take advantage of a smoke, i ask if they want it.  I wait pretty much until the time i need to commit course to lay it.  If they don't respond, i move on.  Half the time they say yes when time has already passed for me to lay it on course.  Sorry not gonna turn around and circle back to lay smoke for you now.  They even give you a convenient key to press if you had wanted to acknowledge for me.  I am supposed to be so considerate of my team with how i use my own smoke, yet I can't even get a F2 or F4 press as a response most of the time.   

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,789 posts
12,929 battles
20 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Didn't they just change the mechanic so that ships behind the screen were not seen vs the old way where folks had to be in the smoke for it to work?

The upcoming smoke mechanics change will affect ANY smoke LOS (regardless of whether you're in it or behind it).

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles

At least he didn't do what some clown in a Montana did in a battle a few days ago. I was driving my Neptune and had popped smoke. This Montana pushed me out of my smoke cloud and parked himself in it. I had to run like hell for a nearby island for cover because every red team ship in range was focusing on me. :etc_swear: (I made it, barely)

I desperately wanted to put a salvo of torpedoes into him. :Smile-angry:

[WOLF9]
Members
3,168 posts

Had a guy in a Fiji yesterday drop a smoke cloud in front of me and keep going- after he almost rammed me, and I had to go broadside to the enemy Spee and Bismarck to avoid getting rammed and locked together right in front of them.

Funny thing is, I didn't notice the smoke right away- because I was desperately trying to avoid getting splatted.

All's well that ends well, though.  My desperation salvo at the Spee (right in my face) took him from 90% HP to nothing!  Only 1 cit, but 8 normal pens as well!  My Nor-Cal said: NO EASY CITADELS FOR YOU Mr Spee!!!   And the bismarck was so busy chasing the Fiji down, he failed to notice me pumping full broadsides into his casemate, and then his butt when he sailed past.   Not only did Fiji spot for me, he distracted, too!  It was fun watching Herr Bismarck sail blindly right into Fiji's torpedoes, too,lol.

So, thanks, Fiji for the smoke!!  

We went on to annihilate the red Arizona (Citadelled him right through the bow!), and then the CV.  Gotta love lobbing shells over TWO islands, and actually landing them- that made me laugh out loud.  (oddly enough, the very next game, I citted a Des Moines with a blind lob over a mountain from my Alabama.  Normally, I'm not that lucky- but twice in one day?  I'll take it.)

As others noted, I think more players would be grateful for, and/or willing to use your smoke if it weren't used so badly so often.  I can't count the number of times I've watched entire enemy teams just disappear because someone smoked right in front of them, and either sat in it, or turned around and ran...  "I'd love to help you deal with that knot of ships you just jumped up, DD- but I can't see them!"

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,789 posts
12,929 battles
5 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

At least he didn't do what some clown in a Montana did in a battle a few days ago. I was driving my Neptune and had popped smoke. This Montana pushed me out of my smoke cloud and parked himself in it. I had to run like hell for a nearby island for cover because every red team ship in range was focusing on me. :etc_swear: (I made it, barely)

I desperately wanted to put a salvo of torpedoes into him. :Smile-angry:

BBs can't stop worth crap.  In my case we were going opposite directions with the enemy perpendicular to our travel.  So I popped it early and streamed it to him.  Two ships passing opposite directions.  He had the option to dive into it lengthwise, stay behind it, slow down, or keep going.

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

As a BB driver, I always thank for smoke on my benefit, but try and tell the DD not to waste on me. If other DDs on enemy are nearby, smoke is a torp magnet. When playing my cruisers I will use becasue I can move back and forth to avoid torps. If DDs are all dead on enemy then I will use, but mostly I like to keep moving and changing speed to avoid trouble. To criticize another player for trying to help you is being a Ahole. 

Edited by Buzzardsluck

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,814 battles

I hate when those ****** DD drivers think they have to rescue me.

First I want to know what is shooting at me.

Second the smoke causes to lose look on my target,most of the time.

Third I am in this situation because I wanted too, so let me die.