Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Ship's exhaust smoke - can we do something with it?

16 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

I'm probably the only person here who has this problem... but it seems whenever I need to dodge torps, the smoke billowing out of the exhaust stack is so black, so thick and so wide that I cannot see the torps to dodge them - when I'm in my destroyers. Typically I'm moving fast and the black smoke almost magically hides my view to the front of my ship.

It's been like this forever so I know it won't get changed. I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with mods perhaps, that raise you higher up from the ship in 3rd PPOV? It seems - to me - the distance varies between ship types and ships of the same class. Why this would be I'm not sure... 

Otherwise - without mods - what do you guys do in such scenarios? 

[WOLFB]
Members
2,571 posts
4,946 battles

I have never had that issue. I only have ARP ships with thick smoke but it dosnt get in the way. Do you have screen shots

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,831 battles

Breathe deep, clear the air... :Smile_hiding:

I guess I've never encountered this problem before. Zooming in or out slightly didn't work?

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Can't say I've ever seen this. I always play pulled back as far as you can go and can't think of a time I've ever even consciously noticed my smoke. Sorry, not sure what to suggest. Maybe look for particle density settings to turn down? 

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts
5,679 battles

I honestly wish that, as the battle went on, that visibility ranges were lowered from the huge amounts of smoke created by low to mid tier coal burning and early oil burning ships, as well as destroyer smoke.

Imagine the map starting clear and crisp, but by ten minutes of ships sailing around in it, firing their guns, using smoke generators, burning coal, a gray haze would start to form, slowly limiting view range to around twelve kilometers, like a less intense version of a cyclone. The skybox would slowly become blotted with black smoke and decrease slightly in brightness.

Or we could just finally have night battles instead of needing a cyclone every single match.

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles

Aslain has the yet another zoom out mod but like the posters above I don't seem to have that problem. My ships just don't seem to maneuver well when torps are inbound.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,455 battles
28 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

so black, so thick

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I have never had a problem with this, are you sure you are zoomed out all the way?

[SYN]
Members
14,345 posts
10,218 battles

I usually only have this problem when my BB/CA/CL is on fire.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Well... maybe I need to sit more upright in my chair, get a new system with a bigger screen/monitor? I use a laptop, on a short desk stand. It's only in my DD... I'll see what I can do about a screen shot. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,800 posts
7,890 battles

Your exhaust is thicker when the engine boost mod is active.  Are you hitting that by habit when dodging torps?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
3 hours ago, Zampy said:

Your exhaust is thicker when the engine boost mod is active.  Are you hitting that by habit when dodging torps?

I suspect I hit it prior to engagement, that could be the answer. Not as a result of being attacked but due to attack on another dd. I think it's an old habit to boost my Kami so she's harder to target. I'll try changing that technique. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,763 posts
12,866 battles

Even zoomed out I have smoke obscuration issues from time to time.  I just take it as part of the game, understanding that others probably have "mods" or way around it.  So be it.

Sign in to follow this