You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
R35T_NO_MORE

Hi, i'm R35T.

11 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles

I'm brand new to WoWs, came here from WoT console so getting used to PC controls is taking a while. I'm really enjoying the game so far, trying my best to learn the ropes. Going for BBs to start off with. Started by presenting my broadside to everything, i've since learned that is bad and now learning when to angle and when i should fire HE or AP. Still got a lot to learn regarding positioning and map control. I also need to learn the various ship weakspots and gun ranges but that will take a while.

Any help with tips and advice, or even info regarding which youtubers are good for those learning the ropes etc would be greatly appreciated. 

Hope to see some of you out there, on green team i hope as i'm a bit of a noob atm to say the least. 

Thanks. 

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,785 battles

Welcome to the forums and glad to see you made the jump!

Please, ask any questions if you come across them!

For YouTubers: everyone has their own personal preference. Notser, Flamu, iChase (still has content), Zoup, Jingles as all great places to start.  Though I do believe that there are a few that put out early-game/beginner content.

For advice: Pay attention to the mini-map!   More so than Tanks because positioning against one ship is easy...positioning against the BBs who have that broadside shot against you....takes a little skill.  
Also, try not to tunnel vision.  So, as above...work on your ship awareness!

Even ask the red team (if they pulled something brilliant or you felt like you did something not so smart) what they would have done in your spot?  It's hit and miss, but generally, you get honest answers.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

YouTube - IChase, https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming

Notser https://www.youtube.com/user/MrNotser

The Mighty Jingles https://www.youtube.com/user/BohemianEagle

NoZoupForYou https://www.youtube.com/user/ZoupGaming

And welcome aboard

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
117 posts
31,546 battles

Welcome to WoWS!

One suggestion: If you get sunk early in a battle, use the mouse command to switch to different (surviving) ships of your team. You can learn quite a bit by watching other players.  

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles

Thanks for the welcome, the links and the advice guys i really appreciate it :-) There is alot to learn here, i was capable at tanks, but other than a few islands there's no terrain to abuse and i certainly can't sidescrape etc like i'm used to so i'm starting at the bottom with baby steps and going to stay in the low tiers until i have a decent crew and have mastered the basics.

Torps keep doing a lot of damage to me, keep trying to dodge too late i think, they are a threat i'm really not used to. Really enjoying the change of pace though. 

Thanks again for the warm welcome :-) 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Better yet, once you sink, aim your mouse at a squadron of planes and press space bar.

Now you're observing planes cruise serenely around the battlefield. Battlefield? That doesn't sound right. Battlewater. Now you're observing planes cruise serenely around the battlewater. I highly recommend it. It soothes the soul.

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,509 battles

Hey R35T! - Welcome & here's to a long and enjoyable time in WOWS.

Chaos has a good list of some of the most popular Youtubers - I would also recommend Flamu (Flamu is somewhat polarizing and not everyone likes his style which I would characterize as very "confident" - BUT he is a very good player, I find him entertaining and his videos are very informative), Aeroon, Qckslvrslash, Stuntman (when new ship lines come out he has very informative stats comparisons between existing ships in the Tier w/ the new ship).

You may also find my WOWS Enjoyment series helpful if you're a new player.  There are articles that cover everything from general info such as:  in-game currency strategies (so you can afford to play your Tier 10 ships), What ships you want in your port to take advantage of missions, campaigns, promos, What ships help you complete these faster.  There are also articles that cover Tactics (shooting, maneuvering, brawling) and Strategy (Cap Strategies - what your goals and responsibilities w/ various strategies and why, Lanchesters Law - a Military study that applies to what you want to do in game to increase your win chances).

WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides

Good Luck & hope to see you in game!  o7

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
13 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

Hey R35T! - Welcome & here's to a long and enjoyable time in WOWS.

Chaos has a good list of some of the most popular Youtubers - I would also recommend Flamu (Flamu is somewhat polarizing and not everyone likes his style which I would characterize as very "confident" - BUT he is a very good player, I find him entertaining and his videos are very informative), Aeroon, Qckslvrslash, Stuntman (when new ship lines come out he has very informative stats comparisons between existing ships in the Tier w/ the new ship).

You may also find my WOWS Enjoyment series helpful if you're a new player.  There are articles that cover everything from general info such as:  in-game currency strategies (so you can afford to play your Tier 10 ships), What ships you want in your port to take advantage of missions, campaigns, promos, What ships help you complete these faster.  There are also articles that cover Tactics (shooting, maneuvering, brawling) and Strategy (Cap Strategies - what your goals and responsibilities w/ various strategies and why, Lanchesters Law - a Military study that applies to what you want to do in game to increase your win chances).

WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides

Good Luck & hope to see you in game!  o7

Thanks for the welcome guys :-) i really appreciate your post Hangglide, i'm after absorbing as much info as possible so knowing where i can find it is invaluable. I helped people alot with equipment and had a thread dedicated to it on the WoT console forum so it's nice to find someone with a similar interest here.

I know from WoT that picking the right equipment is extremely important but was a bit lost with regards what to choose here so the advice is great. 

I just watched a few Flamu vids, i'm used to people with a similar attitude from some of the guys i played with on WoT, doesn't bother me . His vids are good, the info from him and Ichase who was mentioned above has been great.

I just need to stop looking at how amazing the ships and animations are and put the info to use lol, seeing the Texas's AA guns firing for example looks amazing. 

I keep hearing about mods, are they worth installing?

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,509 battles
5 hours ago, R35T_NO_MORE said:

Thanks for the welcome guys :-) i really appreciate your post Hangglide, i'm after absorbing as much info as possible so knowing where i can find it is invaluable. I helped people alot with equipment and had a thread dedicated to it on the WoT console forum so it's nice to find someone with a similar interest here.

I know from WoT that picking the right equipment is extremely important but was a bit lost with regards what to choose here so the advice is great. 

I just watched a few Flamu vids, i'm used to people with a similar attitude from some of the guys i played with on WoT, doesn't bother me . His vids are good, the info from him and Ichase who was mentioned above has been great.

I just need to stop looking at how amazing the ships and animations are and put the info to use lol, seeing the Texas's AA guns firing for example looks amazing. 

I keep hearing about mods, are they worth installing?

Mods (legal ones at least) are a personal preference, in my opinion, but they can give you incremental info that you may find useful in game (e.g. The ship angle of a targeted enemy).

One of the most popular/common legal mod is Aslains (sp?).  I personally don't use mods, but you should be able to google a source for this mod.

One downside when you use mods is that whenever a new game patch upgrade is released, you'll have to reinstall the mod (in some cases, the mod developer may have to update the mod to work w/ the new patch) over the new software.  This can lead to some "WG released a broken update" issues for you when it's the mod's interaction w/ the game that is the source of your problems.

WG also pays attention to the desirable features in various mods.  What they've done in the past is if a feature makes sense, it gets incorporated into the in-game UI as a supported feature.  An example of this is the smoke timers & smoke boundary rings you see in-game - these features originally showed up in mods.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1