Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mik6669

Fine line between brilliance and stupidity

20 comments in this topic

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
10,893 battles

In one round last night our CV (strike Ranger) started off the round torpedoing himself. He did warn us ahead of time. Turns out he wanted to reduce his health to take advantage of Adrenaline Rush to cut down on the squadron servicing time.

Not sure if this is brilliance or stupidity or something in between. Can anyone verify if AR would make that much of a difference for a CV? 

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
445 posts
11,645 battles

It does help, and a CV can stay undetected for an entire match so trading HP for reload is brilliant.

[FML]
Members
1,636 posts
9,912 battles

There is a fine line between courage and stupidity... which is defined by success.  

Did you win?  If so, brilliant. 

I would have thought it would make you particularly vulnerable to a CV snipe as you may not be able to take another hit, but I dont play carriers so I wouldnt know.  

[CAST]
Members
1,166 posts
7,199 battles

If you can stay undetected, it would work.  If you take shots at some time in the match, it could be detrimental.   The theory is good, but I probably wouldn't do it.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,966 posts
8,109 battles

It can be done, but you're gambling your team's capable. Plus, there's a lot of time spent on the TB just servicing them on first self-attack, so it probably doesn't save that many seconds.

• Cool 1

Members
1,015 posts
12,913 battles

As a tactic it would not work for me as I like my CV to be close to the front lines so that my planes spend as little time going to and from the targets as I can get away with. The results become the same...more attacks per game...but I can take a few shell hits along the way.

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles

People will "game" any game mechanic that gives them the advantage over another player.  Was the same with Ichase and his testing of the Bow Saturation with torpedoes to game the system in his favor.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,340 posts
9,433 battles

And then there is the RNG malfunction where "Repair' doesn't stop flooding or put out fires...  Whoops!!

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
8 minutes ago, Reymu said:

It can be done, but you're gambling your team's capable. Plus, there's a lot of time spent on the TB just servicing them on first self-attack, so it probably doesn't save that many seconds.

This. Obviously the person does not understand opportunity cost, of which there are several, besides the above mentioned , doing this tactic. 

Brilliantly stupid, I would say.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,792 battles

The risk for that advantage is just too high.  I wouldn't really call it brilliant.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles

If you can bring your CV right to the front line, then you can cycle your bombers quicker.

of course, this depends on how the map is shaped and if there are any islands that let you get really close to the front.

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
1 hour ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Brilliantly stupid, I would say.

You have to say if it worked then it was a great idea. If it didn't work, it was stupid. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box I suppose. 

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

This just goes into the stupid category.  Too big a risk for not enough gain.  Especially at T7 where carrier sniping is still a thing and running strike so having no defense.  

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

Well out side the box is fine. But his justification for doing so puts him  in a box and he cannot see that time costs outweigh the gain. And of course it makes his ship easier to sink as well.

More importantly his thinking "outside the box" is ILLEGAL. As he is abusing game mechanics to gain an advantage and violating a clause in the game rules by doing so. 

Edited by Strachwitz666

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
1 minute ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Well out side the box is fine. But his justification for doing so puts him  in a box and he cannot see that time costs outweigh the gain. 

More importantly his thinking "outside the box" is ILLEGAL. As he is abusing game mechanic to gain an advantage and violating a clause in the game rules by doing so. 

Well against the rules I guess but hardly illegal. IMHO it is no different than riding the line and more than likely just an experiment on his part. I suppose he could just go expose himself to enemy fire and then run away and would accomplish the same thing. 

Strachwitz you may lay off the coffee, way too intense about something as silly as this. 

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well against the rules I guess but hardly illegal. IMHO it is no different than riding the line and more than likely just an experiment on his part. I suppose he could just go expose himself to enemy fire and then run away and would accomplish the same thing. 

Strachwitz you may lay off the coffee, way too intense about something as silly as this. 

LOLOL  yea, well of course I mean illegal as retaining to  "violation of game rules" .

Yep , coffee,  How did you  know? LOLGreen Mountain morning blend out the Kuerig(poor man's convinent expresso machine) with a shot of Bailey's and an oxy and 2 vico's , Breakfast of Champions

just waiting on the update to load , or I would not be here. :)

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
Just now, Strachwitz666 said:

Yep , coffee,  How did you  know? LOLGreen Mountain morning blend out the Kuerig(poor man's convinent expresso machine) with a shot of Bailey's and an oxy and 2 vico's , Breakfast of Champions

I guess you never want to sleep again!!

I have actually seen people do these kinds of experiments in Coop with adrenaline rush but never heard of it done in PvP play before this. I can not imagine it is that great, we probably would have heard about it long before now. I am more in agreement with Palladia that the risk is too great for the reward. 

Sign in to follow this