You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Rule Britannia No More

85 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles

Hi

The count down has begun with this patch the in coming Royal Navy Battleships will soon sail the seas and its time for the Kriegsmarine fans to hoist there Battle Ensigns and give these tea totalling pommies the warm welcome they deserve.:Smile_izmena: Over 100 years ago The High Seas Fleet under Admirals Hipper and Scheer kicked The Grand Fleets Butt and humiliated the once great sea power.

Now over a century later its time we kriegsmarine fans finish the work those 2 great Sailors and the men under there command started and give The Royal Navy the Coup de Grace it so richly deserves, proving once and for all who rules the seas.:Smile_Default:

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 5

Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,191 battles

lmbo Germany

The only thing humiliating is being a delusional revisionist that thinks Germany ever seriously contested the Royal Navy.

• Cool 9

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
3 minutes ago, vonluckner said:

lmbo Germany

The only thing humiliating is being a delusional revisionist that thinks Germany ever seriously contested the Royal Navy.

And you seem to be taking me way to seriously im trying to have a bit of fun its just some light hearted humour to usher in the new ships

• Cool 3

[AGP]
Members
66 posts
3,670 battles
29 minutes ago, vonluckner said:

59a66bef8493a_Holy.jpg.f891c7a10a1659e11a138f3d5e6d1180.jpg

and how about the glorious soviet navy? huh? Never!

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
6 minutes ago, AT_Velos said:

59a66bef8493a_Holy.jpg.f891c7a10a1659e11a138f3d5e6d1180.jpg

and how about the glorious soviet navy? huh? Never!

if memory serves me didn't you guys get bottled up in Leningrad for almost all the war as floating tourist attractions in between the bombings :Smile_Default: 

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

This is so cringeworthy 

• Cool 3

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

l m f a o :Smile_trollface:

Nope, Germany never had a chance to rival the Royal Navy. The only way they could possibly have done so (and even then it's doubtful) would've been if they had focused on building the overseas empire—and the vast number of ships required to service it—as soon as they had become a unified country. But instead, the brand new nation decided to give the French a good showing up, and most of the possessions they took later on were practically landlocked!

Given about thirty to fifty years more to build up their naval forces, and establish a real naval tradition, then perhaps Germany could've given the Royal Navy a run for its pounds Sterling, but as things happened, no. Just no. Not even if Jutland had been a disaster for the British—they still would've had the French, Italians and, eventually, the United States Navy to deal with.

Fantasy is fun, though, especially when it comes to alternate history. :cap_rambo:

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha
FREE KEKISTAN!

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
12 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

This is so cringeworthy 

Ok so you have never heard of tongue in cheek humour before, as a big fan of all things German navy  I thought you would might  be able to see the fun in it since the British BBs are coming out guess not sigh.  

• Cool 2

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
23 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Nope, Germany never had a chance to rival the Royal Navy. The only way they could possibly have done so (and even then it's doubtful) would've been if they had focused on building the overseas empire—and the vast number of ships required to service it—as soon as they had become a unified country. But instead, the brand new nation decided to give the French a good showing up, and most of the possessions they took later on were practically landlocked!

Given about thirty to fifty years more to build up their naval forces, and establish a real naval tradition, then perhaps Germany could've given the Royal Navy a run for its pounds Sterling, but as things happened, no. Just no. Not even if Jutland had been a disaster for the British—they still would've had the French, Italians and, eventually, the United States Navy to deal with.

Fantasy is fun, though, especially when it comes to alternate history. :cap_rambo:

Alfred von Tirpitz had a plan. When he first came to power he suggested that Germany build a fleet of battleships to defend Germany since he believed cruisers to be inadequate for the task. His rivals, however, liked cruisers, particularly for the fact that they had good range and could bring German naval presence to other parts of the world. To which Tirpitz argued something along the lines of "what good is having a fleet that can operate anywhere in the world when Germany has few overseas bases to service them?"

Anyways, back on track...

On the one hand, Tirpitz knew that Britain had the largest fleet in the world and that it would be impossible for Germany to match or exceed its size. But he also knew that Britain was a world empire and had to divide its naval assets all along around the world. He, therefore, pushed for a large fleet that, while not larger or as powerful as Britain's fleet, could be powerful enough to defend Germany against the ships that Britain did have in home water, and that even if Great Britain did bring her entire naval strength to home waters, that they would be more cautious to risk battle with another large fleet.

Buuuuut then Japan completely kicked Russia's behind in the Russo-Japanese war and Britain no longer saw the Russian navy as a threat and was, therefore, able to pull the bulk of its Pacific fleet back home. And then something happened that Tirpitz never thought possible... Great Britain allied itself with its greatest traditional foe.... France *Gasp*! And then the French fleet was no longer a threat to Great Britain... so Tirpitz found his feet up against almost the entire strength of the largest naval power in the world.

Even still, Tirpitz managed to turn a sorry excuse for a navy into the second largest navy in the world by 1914, one that was 60% the size of Britain's own navy. And in doing so, had nearly driven Britain into bankruptcy by forcing them to build more battleships to keep up with Germany's own battleship production.

Tirpitz never envisioned the German navy as being one that was larger and/or more powerful than the British navy, he knew that was unrealistic. He simply wanted a navy big enough to be able to adequately defend Germany and its interests.

To sum up what I just said with a Wikipedia quote...

"Although the German fleet would be smaller, it was likely that an enemy with a world spanning empire would not be able to concentrate all its forces in local waters. Even if it could, the German fleet would still be sufficiently powerful to inflict significant damage in any battle, sufficient damage that the enemy would be unable to maintain its other naval commitments and must suffer irreparable harm. Thus no such enemy would risk an engagement."

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
14 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Does nobody have a sense of humour and a bit of Fan pride out there, yes your quite right about a lot of things that you have written but my post was never a serious one. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,191 battles
12 minutes ago, nothere01 said:

Heard about this one small battle called Battle of Jutland?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland

Maybe you should try reading your own article?

Despite numerical superiority, the British had been disappointed in their hopes for a decisive victory[citation needed] comparable to Trafalgar and the objective of the influential strategic doctrines of Alfred Mahan. The High Seas Fleet survived as a fleet in being. Most of its losses were made good within a month – even Seydlitz, the most badly damaged ship to survive the battle, was repaired by October and officially back in service by November. However, the Germans had failed in their objective of destroying a substantial portion of the British Fleet, and no progress had been made towards the goal of allowing the High Seas Fleet to operate in the Atlantic Ocean.

Subsequently, there has been considerable support for the view of Jutland as a strategic victory for the British. While the British had not destroyed the German fleet and had lost more ships than their enemy, the Germans had retreated to harbour; at the end of the battle the British were in command of the area.

The German fleet would only sortie into the North Sea thrice more, with a raid on 19 August, one in October 1916 and another in April 1918. All three were unopposed by capital ships and quickly aborted as neither side were prepared to take the risks of mines and submarines.

Apart from these three abortive operations the High Seas Fleet – unwilling to risk another encounter with the British fleet – confined its activities to the Baltic Sea for the remainder of the war. Jellicoe issued an order prohibiting the Grand Fleet from steaming south of the line of Horns Reef owing to the threat of mines and U-boats.[121] A German naval expert, writing publicly about Jutland in November 1918, commented, "Our Fleet losses were severe. On 1 June 1916, it was clear to every thinking person that this battle must, and would be, the last one".[122]

There is also significant support for viewing the battle as a German tactical victory, due to the much higher losses sustained by the British.[123] The Germans declared a great victory immediately afterwards, while the British by contrast had only reported short and simple results. In response to public outrage, the First Lord of the Admiralty Arthur Balfour asked Winston Churchill to write a second report that was more positive and detailed.[124]

At the end of the battle, the British had maintained their numerical superiority and had 23 dreadnoughts ready and four battlecruisers still able to fight, while the Germans had only 10 dreadnoughts.[125] One month after the battle, the Grand Fleet was stronger than it had been before sailing to Jutland.[125]Warspite was dry docked at Rosyth, returning to the fleet on 22 July, while Malaya was repaired in the floating dock at Invergordon, returning to duty on 11 July. Barham was docked for a month at Devonport before undergoing speed trials and returning to Scapa on 8 July. Princess Royal stayed initially at Rosyth but transferred to dry dock at Portsmouth before returning to duty at Rosyth 21 July. Tiger was dry docked at Rosyth and ready for service 2 July. Queen Elizabeth, Emperor of India and HMAS Australia, which had been undergoing maintenance at the time of the battle, returned to the fleet immediately, followed shortly after by Resolution and Ramillies. Lion initially remained ready for sea duty despite the damaged turret, then underwent a month's repairs in July when Q turret was removed temporarily and replaced in September.[126]

Germany never seriously contested the Royal Navy for control of the oceans- even at their closest point (Jutland) the Germans just weren't willing to sacrifice enough ships for their fleet to exist as anything more than pleasure yachts in the Baltic. Control of European waterways was a primary issue of survival for England, while it was a more of a secondary theater for Germany (being continental).

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

On the topic of who won Jutland...

I'd compare it to Stalingrad. Like Jutland, the force that opposed the Germans received much higher losses than the Germans did... but at the end of the conflict, the Germans would give up on Stalingrad and would retreat and the German fleet would give up on control of the North Atlantic and would retreat back to port. Despite the lopsided kill/death ratio in favor of the Germans, no historian would be foolish enough to claim that Stalingrad was a Geman victory. Likewise, Jutland can be compared to Stalingrad in that, even though the Germans inflicted more casualties upon their enemies, they were still ultimately defeated in that they were forced into retreat, really, for the remainder of the war (barring a few minor exercises).

Image result for that's all i gotta say about that meme

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
13 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

Do you mean teetotal? 

you will have to forgive me if I spelt it wrong 007 but I think you get the idea

Edited by tm63au

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,577 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

you will have to forgive me if I spelt it wrong but I think you get the idea

No, I don't. You've clearly never been to the UK.

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
1 minute ago, Noble_Taipan said:

No, I don't. You've clearly never been to the UK.

no I have not but I was only having a bit of fun no need to get upset :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
3,943 battles

Let's all take him seriously so we can make "clever" and "educated" statements and get some positive votes.

• Cool 1

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,577 battles
17 minutes ago, tm63au said:

no I have not but I was only having a bit of fun no need to get upset :Smile_Default:

I'm sound, matey. 

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles

The witching hour has started all you British BB fans prepare soon you will face the full fury and might of the Kriegsmarine Battleships, time to meet your maker.:Smile_izmena:   

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,024 posts
7,604 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

The witching hour has started all you British BB fans prepare soon you will face the full fury and might of the Kriegsmarine Battleships, time to meet your maker.:Smile_izmena:   

54moLz7.jpg

• Cool 7

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,577 battles
4 minutes ago, tm63au said:

time to meet your maker.:Smile_izmena:   

I'm always interested to meet people from all walks of life, particularly those from manufacturing industries. 

• Cool 2