Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

British accent...

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

I recently tried out the UK English option, and good lord is it absolutely atrocious. No, it doesn't sound at all like a proper received pronunciation. In fact, it sounds like some American trying really hard to fake an English accent. Can WG not get an actual Brit to do some of the voice overs? They have an EU office after all. Because right now it sounds embarrassing. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts

It's not soo bad - take a look at half the British films made in the 1960s-70s and most had an upper-class 'officer' type tone to them.

And what type of British do you want? Sean Bean Yorkshire; Ray Winston London; good old Lincolnshire farmer or Somerset scrumpy? Granted, some of them could be quite funny to hear, but I don't think the game does too bad a job (I always found [edited] Van [edited]'s Bert....'lovalee' anyway lol). :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

Edit: apparently I can't put down the famous actor who played Bert from Mary Poppins lol.

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Since the voices in the game are most likely to be from officers (or at least chiefs), then it makes sense for the British voiceovers to have a bit of the "upper crust" to them, but not all (especially the chiefs). Unfortunately, it doesn't make any sense financially to actually spend the dosh to get some reasonable renditions of the spoken lines (even though there are plenty of folks who would happily do it for free—there's still legal paperwork and recording costs to take into account).

Besides, the foreign language voice packs are meant to be understood by anyone who speaks that language (they were originally only there for localization purposes, after all), so the British voices are, sadly, going to be utterly generic and pedestrian. :Smile-_tongue:

[TASH]
Members
4,991 posts
7,894 battles

Other than the horribly-narmic pronunciation of "Fire!" I really don't have much issue with the UK voiceover.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,070 posts
7,515 battles

"Le'ts show 'em what we've got, chaps!"

Just doesn't sound right.  At least it doesn't sound like anything they would say.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,583 battles
1 minute ago, Final_Spark said:

Better voice?

Isn't that the pirate voice we already have in game?

Members
1,077 posts

Being exposed to British accents 24/7 I can say with absolute honesty that the voice in WoWS is truly terrible,  @DeliciousFart hit the nail on the head with this; "it sounds like some American trying really hard to fake an English accent."

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,390 battles

"Let's show them what we've got"

Will get you branded as a sex offender in the US.

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
1 hour ago, zFireWyvern said:

Being exposed to British accents 24/7 I can say with absolute honesty that the voice in WoWS is truly terrible,  @DeliciousFart hit the nail on the head with this; "it sounds like some American trying really hard to fake an English accent."

Lol, you have to take into account what time period we're talking about. 

'Am I boverred?', 'Whatever' and shouting 'Wicked!' whenever a torpedo hits won't do it for me. :Smile_teethhappy:

I'd tolerate a 'Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels' type captain - 'This is the mother of all F ups!' or 'You want some of this?', or 'Charles get the guns out, we're being F'd!'.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles

Oh, I thought the voices were meant to be caricatures of the real accents, for the lulz. 

They were meant to be real?

I wonder what the Perth's commander sounds like - doubt they went and found the right kind of Aussie - prolly just put together some Steve Irwin clips (sans Stingray, ofc).  

Members
1,077 posts
15 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Lol, you have to take into account what time period we're talking about. 

'Am I boverred?', 'Whatever' and shouting 'Wicked!' whenever a torpedo hits won't do it for me. :Smile_teethhappy:

I'd tolerate a 'Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels' type captain - 'This is the mother of all F ups!' or 'You want some of this?', or 'Charles get the guns out, we're being F'd!'.

Even with the time period taken into account, it still sounds awful

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,976 posts
5,679 battles

Also conversing with drunken Englishmen every day, I can in fact confirm how terrible the voice ingame is.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
11 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

It's not soo bad - take a look at half the British films made in the 1960s-70s and most had an upper-class 'officer' type tone to them.

And what type of British do you want? Sean Bean Yorkshire; Ray Winston London; good old Lincolnshire farmer or Somerset scrumpy? Granted, some of them could be quite funny to hear, but I don't think the game does too bad a job (I always found [edited] Van [edited]'s Bert....'lovalee' anyway lol). :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

Edit: apparently I can't put down the famous actor who played Bert from Mary Poppins lol.

Dude, no way. I've seen old archival videos of British MPs and none of them sound nearly as corny and cheesy as whatever the hell is in this game as the "British" voice. It's almost like a caricature of Monty Python.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
11 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

That was Di*k Van Dyck and his "imitation", if that's what it was, of a Cockney accent was hideous! :cap_haloween:

I read somewhere that his "Cockney" accent was voted the second worse fake accent in motion picture history.

Edited by ReddNekk

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

If they can get away with casting Sean Connery (and other numerous Brits) as a Russian submarine captain in a blockbuster film, then they can get away with having Americans faking an english accent in a free to play game :Smile_coin:

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
4 hours ago, DeliciousFart said:

Dude, no way. I've seen old archival videos of British MPs and none of them sound nearly as corny and cheesy as whatever the hell is in this game as the "British" voice. It's almost like a caricature of Monty Python.

Well lets just say I 'work alongside British MPs' and an old FS of mine known as 'Chappers' always used the phrase 'old chaps!' - so it's not so far from the truth lol.

4 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

That was Di*k Van Dyck and his "imitation", if that's what it was, of a Cockney accent was hideous! :cap_haloween:

I read somewhere that his "Cockney" accent was voted the second worse fake accent in motion picture history.

Yes, I was taking the P; that's why I used the lovalee phrase - a tribute to another film with a fantastic 'Cockney London' accent 'My Fair Lady'.

Half of the people playing this game probably wouldn't recognise many of the dialects from England - this is a game, and like the films the Captains are caricatures; they aren't so bad.

Edit: IMO

Edited by _WaveRider_

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
9 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Oh, I thought the voices were meant to be caricatures of the real accents, for the lulz. 

They were meant to be real?

I wonder what the Perth's commander sounds like - doubt they went and found the right kind of Aussie - prolly just put together some Steve Irwin clips (sans Stingray, ofc).  

Only just looked back at the posts - at least some get the caricatures bit. :Smile_Default:

Also just load a few of the British Pathé videos on YouTube, or listen to some of the 1940's broadcasts (also available on YouTube) - they're not so far off the game voices lol.

Edited by _WaveRider_

Sign in to follow this