You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bashensky

Tier 8 Match Making

15 comments in this topic

[SCREW]
Members
7 posts
1,670 battles

Now I'm [edited]pissed. I'll explain a game I just had. I'm in my Bismarc, get matched against tier 10's the usual. I start heading for a cap, playing a little agressive but not to much, because I'm the lower tier, and a Des Moines and Minotaur apear. I start turning around because I'm not capping with them there. In a matter of 15-30 seconds, I'm at 35k health! This is so stupid it's not even funny. German lines are meant for brawling and I get to half health before I can fire a third volley. My postioning was good, not over extended, not away from teammates, I had a friedrich infront of me but that doesn't [edited]matter because I'm the tier 8 so I get targeted, and what can I do, well let me continue. I get a second fire so I obviously repair, turn around and start healing, get a decent amount of health and decide I'm not in a [edited] weeb sniper [edited] ship so I turn around to help my friendly bb. I'm a good couple KM behind him but i get detected and surprise! I'm the new focus of attention again. Skip forwards 30 seconds and guess who has 3 unrepairable fires because they positioned correctly and used their repair on 2 fires... me. There is no other way to play the German bb line. You cant sit back and snipe thanks to the horrible dispertion and you only have a 2km window where the cruiser i mentioned cant shoot you back, but being so massive and not very muenevarble, you can't keep that window if the enemy wants to close it. I don't know why War gaming cant [edited]listen to the community asking for only up to 1 tier above matchmaking, probably the same reason they fires cc's because their little dolls didn't only leave positive feedback, but they need to open their ears to the people being up-tiered, and not surround themselves with the tier 10's saying "I see no problem with matchmaking".

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles

Another complaint that would be resolved by +/-1 tier matchmaking, instead of the current +/-2.

• Cool 4

[-BRS-]
Members
1,613 posts
13,249 battles

I would have to say that seven out of ten games in T8 ship will be matched with the mix of tens in the game and out of those seven games at least three of them are pure T10 match

seems that the eights are mostly cannon fodder for higher-tier games in most of the games

instead of me being top-tier

but I've actually kind of grown used to it but it used to piss me off

guess I like the challenge now

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

I would have to say that seven out of ten games in T8 ship will be matched with the mix of tens in the game and out of those seven games at least three of them are pure T10 match

seems that the eights are mostly cannon fodder for higher-tier games in most of the games

instead of me being top-tier

but I've actually kind of grown used to it but it used to piss me off

guess I like the challenge now

It's called Battered Wife Syndrome.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,904 battles

They have listened a couple times now do you think they might again? The Yamamoto campaign is going so there are a lot of top tier ships in the population. I get constantly uptiered when I play my tier 8's grinding for the next tier. It seems like common sense to +- 1 go figure.

Members
2,223 posts
14,034 battles

Without a video replay it sounds like you shouldn't have made that turn when you spotted the cruisers. The Minotaur probably ripped you to shreds with the AP and the DM set the fires on you. 

[LWA]
Members
615 posts
8,782 battles

The tier tens love to target tier eights to pad their stats.  Plain and simple that a ship two tiers below is much easier to kill.  It is human nature to take the path of least resistance.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

Another complaint that would be resolved by +/-1 tier matchmaking, instead of the current +/-2.

But if the do +/- 1 MM i get less EXP when i'm in a tier X game and do well which isn't that hard to do in a hipper

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Tier 8 MM is a nightmare and not a fun place to be.

I would like to see numbers or a trackable stat on how many times we get uptiered.  It seems waaaaaay out of whack.

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles

WG's decision to wreck T5 and T6 has also wrecked T8. My three favorite tiers, gone.

I only play a few T8s now, ships I don't mind being uptiered in. Really sucks. 

keeping track of my T8 games to see how often I wind up at T10. So far, 6 of my last 8. 

Thanks, WG. I hope wrecking the three best tiers just to sell extra high tier premiums was worth it.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, bashensky said:

Now I'm [edited]pissed. I'll explain a game I just had. I'm in my Bismarc, get matched against tier 10's the usual. I start heading for a cap, playing a little agressive but not to much, because I'm the lower tier, and a Des Moines and Minotaur apear. I start turning around because I'm not capping with them there. In a matter of 15-30 seconds, I'm at 35k health! This is so stupid it's not even funny. German lines are meant for brawling and I get to half health before I can fire a third volley. My postioning was good, not over extended, not away from teammates, I had a friedrich infront of me but that doesn't [edited]matter because I'm the tier 8 so I get targeted, and what can I do, well let me continue. I get a second fire so I obviously repair, turn around and start healing, get a decent amount of health and decide I'm not in a [edited] weeb sniper [edited] ship so I turn around to help my friendly bb. I'm a good couple KM behind him but i get detected and surprise! I'm the new focus of attention again. Skip forwards 30 seconds and guess who has 3 unrepairable fires because they positioned correctly and used their repair on 2 fires... me. There is no other way to play the German bb line. You cant sit back and snipe thanks to the horrible dispertion and you only have a 2km window where the cruiser i mentioned cant shoot you back, but being so massive and not very muenevarble, you can't keep that window if the enemy wants to close it. I don't know why War gaming cant [edited]listen to the community asking for only up to 1 tier above matchmaking, probably the same reason they fires cc's because their little dolls didn't only leave positive feedback, but they need to open their ears to the people being up-tiered, and not surround themselves with the tier 10's saying "I see no problem with matchmaking".

There is no such thing as "tier 8" matchmaking, there is only tier X matchmaking in this game.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,695 battles
2 hours ago, bashensky said:

...German lines are meant for brawling...

You lost me at this line.  In order for players to get out of the plateau of performance they often find themselves, they have to be willing to demonstrate the humility to give themselves a mental enema and clear out all the tunnel-visioned, stubborn, black&white concepts they've tattooed in their minds.

Yes, they are far better at brawling and their dispersion is weaker than their counterparts at longer range.  But you cannot brawl with T10 BB's and even some T10 cruisers.  The penetration and armor differences are far too great with the gap in tiers.  You have to eventually understand that certain elements and game mechanics take priority over others and the tier difference overrides the brawling tactic.  So what do you do.  Like most things in life, the difference between winners and losers is that winners have the awareness, proactiveness and resourcefulness to be a part of the solution and not shut down and curl up into a fetal position at the first sign of a problem:

Step one:  During the 60 seconds of loading, look at the team makeup and identify who the T10 (or if none, T9) BBs are on your team.  Choose the German BBs over the others if available.  Make a note of their name.

Step two:  When battle loads, look for where they spawned.

Step three: Do one of the following:

a) Immediately turn toward the BB you identified as your target wingman and stick to them like glue (just don't be too close to impede their firing or movement obviously) regardless of what's agreed to in chat.

b) If said wingman appears to be driving off alone and putting themselves in a vulnerable position where you still don't know which way the majority of the team is going, break off and stick with the main fleet, or if the main enemy fleet went the same direction as the rest of your team, you can choose to stick with your wingman and support him (focus fire) the enemy stragglers and you'll be in a nice position later to flank the main enemy fleet.  This tactic works better in certain maps than others and it also depends on how many DDs are in play and if you also have support to protect yourself from getting invisatorped.  Similar considerations need to be made if there is a T9-10 enemy CV.  This is where skill and experience in making these decisions starts to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Step four: Your minimap is EVERYTHING.  Anytime someone says, "My team left me out to dry," they are openly admitting they failed to pay attention to the change in flow of traffic and adjust in time which could have been avoided if they spent more time looking at and analyzing the flow of allied traffic on the minimap.  You need to be spending as much time, if not more, scanning the minimap observing both how many enemies are able to fire on you or will be able to fire on you over the next 1-2 minutes.  You need to be constantly adjusting (don't ever show your broadside, if you have to, throw it in reverse and stay bow on) yourself to be in that delicate equilibrium between being in range yourself to do damage (even if you have to stick with HE and get fires burning if there are no ships within range showing their broadsides), and not being too close as to having multiple ships firing at you at the same time.  As a T8, you are not there to be a primary damage soaker, consider yourself more like a fragile and slower moving cruiser.

Step five: After the battle, swear to yourself never to play T8 again.  Just kidding.  Not really.  No serious.  I'm kidding.  Or am I?

Step six: Grind other tiers and save up all your free xp to burn it on T8 ships and get into T9.

Step seven: If doing so landed you an Izumo, repeat Step six.

I've put a self-imposed moratorium on playing T8 ships because of the matchmaking algorithm dumping you so many times into T10 matches.  Our clan has a goal of a cumulative 60% win rate.  A challenge we are working hard to achieve and having fun on that journey as a team.  It's just blatantly counterproductive to play T8 on our way to achieving that goal.

Members
2,905 posts
1,365 battles
2 hours ago, AraAragami said:

Yeah, this game on the whole would benefit from + - 1 MM.  You all can complain "but muh Q times", which truth be told, would actually become FASTER as people started playing and actually being able to ENJOY themselves.  I know i dont currently play much due to partly Q times in T6, and terrible players.......nothin' like bein' torped by your own HUMAN player ships.....and you guys say the AI is terrible, cant say ive ever been Tk'd by an AI ship.....