You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KongouIsBestShip

Noob DD looking for feedback

33 comments in this topic

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some feedback. I gave in to being a weeb and bought the Harekaze even though I have never played a single game in a DD (BB main)

I do know the common sense things but seeing how I am complete crap, I was hoping to gain some feedback if you guys would be so kind to watch a recent (best game) replay

https://replayswows.com/replay/4126#stats

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Watch You Tube, start slow, learn to spot, stay within 5-7 k of a cruiser, pretend your a Cat and not a lion. Wait, have patience and if you see me not in a divison message me and maybe we can team up.

I hate to give secrets, but;

I do not always cap in my DD, the enemy will know I am in there.

I like T5 games because the BBs are easy kills.

I like to run the edges and sometimes I let the cruisers pass me by and go back and cap the base without shooting.

I believe a game can go 20 minutes and I do not mind that at all.

sometimes I will shadow our own cruiser or BB and let him get fired on, then while everyone is focused on him, I kill them from range. its mean but it is effective.

NEVER LET ANYONE IN A GAME TELL YOU TO CAP, you are your own skipper, its your freaking boat.

Good Luck.

• Cool 2

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles

For so few battles I think you did pretty good.  I'd recommend hitting that speed boost sooner.  You handled the fiji well.  And for not taking smoke you also did good, that is a big risk/skill tester there.  Also when you were trying to attack the hipper, since he is sailing away from you, you had to be much closer to  have a chance of hitting with with your torps.  You should have either tried to move closer or pick a different target.  Torp spreads were descent and nicely picked.  

• Cool 1

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles
13 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

I do not always cap in my DD, the enemy will know I am in there.

NEVER LET ANYONE IN A GAME TELL YOU TO CAP, you are your own skipper, its your freaking boat.

Good Luck.

Unless you are a Russian DD, you sir there are notably wrong on this.  A DD's primary job is to cap.  Ignoring a cap to 'hide the fact you are there' is just not a good idea.  Letting the enemy have a cap is horrible.  One reason is if you hold the cap or delay it, you keep THEIR dd's there as well.  You don't need to suicide, don't need to stay there if its obviously a bad idea, but to not get into the cap to 'hide' yourself and let the enemy get the cap is not just good game play.  Obtaining or holding the cap makes the enemy have to go in and take it, drawing ships closer to you against their will.  Forcing them to play on your terms not the other way around.

Edited by Valdez_Raptor
  • Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
51 minutes ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

you sir there are notably wrong on this.

If people would bloody well learn to hit destroyers I might agree with you. So many cruisers and battleships ignoring easy shots at destroyers unless they are directly threatened, (and by then, it's usually too late,) as far as I'm concerned, the way things are now, the best destroyer game is one where you are NEVER seen; except perhaps briefly by some poor sap you just fed a belly full of torps.

• Cool 2

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

If people would bloody well learn to hit destroyers I might agree with you. So many cruisers and battleships ignoring easy shots at destroyers unless they are directly threatened, (and by then, it's usually too late,) as far as I'm concerned, the way things are now, the best destroyer game is one where you are NEVER seen; except perhaps briefly by some poor sap you just fed a belly full of torps.

Having earned 2 tier X destroyers, (US and German), I think your statement has a flaw in itself.  if no one ever shoots you then you would be fine as well to be spotted as well.  Perhaps some experiences have done you wrong?  Granted my experience in DD's have helped me keep perspective on what I do as I play a CA and BB.

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
1 minute ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

Perhaps some experiences have done you wrong?

Most games lost because someone didn't kill a bloody destroyer that was (right effing there!) and on 10%< heath; that then went on to cap or kill something, leading directly to said defeat.

Lower tier DDs my best are Clemson and Mutsuki; higher tier Akizuki; one a gunboat, and the other two DDs that prefer not to be seen.

Tier 10 are only Gearing, (which I still dislike tremendously, even after some recent module changes I made,) and Grozovoy; (which I sorta-like; but only purchased because it and the others leading up from Gnevny  were discounted during the recent event.)

My most recent annalogy would be be in Prinz Eugen on Tears of the Cruisers, Epicenter mode; someone kvetching because I'm not up front the whole game; my answer basically?; 'I'm not gonna be a bullet sponge while you T10s hide beind rocks sniping.'

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
914 posts
17,972 battles

I just love dd's  It took some schooling though to get to where I am at with them now.  My favorites?  Shimakaze, Fletcher, Z-46 and Z-52.  Here's an example of my Shima work. 

tMsJ5IS.png

We lost but I have a ball with this dd.  The key to me is stealth.  The minute you are spotted, you are gonna get some butthurt.  If that means you don't cap right away, than you don't cap immediately. Knife fights are not for me.  I much prefer stealth attacks.   Let the armchair admirals scream and yell in chat...ignore it.  You have to play your ship the way that fits you best.

At the lower tiers, I like the Fubuki and the Gaede.  

Good luck and have fun with them.  They truly can determine the outcome of a battle and sometimes, like above, not much more you can do and still lose.  Don't let it bother you.

Edited by BaronVonTom
  • Cool 3

[NDA]
Supertester
4,773 posts
13,589 battles

I have over 3000 games in destroyers, T10s in three different lines and I don't think I could begin to tell everything a new player should know to run a Tier 8 destroyer. Not to mention your new shiny DD has a bit of an Identity issue as it can play very different depending what hull you select. 

Maybe do your home work, watch the iChase "Captains Academy" videos focusing on DDs, watch Notser or Flamu videos on this specific DD or DDs in general. Than do some practice in Co-op to get a feel of the ship or play randoms very cautiously until you get a feel for the ship and how you should play its strengths.  

• Cool 2

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have learned what I know mostly from Jingles' videos (yes I know), I'll definitely do some more research.

After rewatching the battle for the second time, I think my biggest issue was my range discipline. Having a whole lot of luck definitely helped too.

• Cool 1

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
2,551 battles

My play style is a bit different as I don't use smoke often. I only use it instances where I need to GTFO. However I exploit the consealment range and hide behind islands nearby choke point so I can lay ambush. In addition I use this strategy to reduce the amount of players using radar on me. What is the point about using radar if there is no smoke. Wait till the ambush when a bunch of torpedoes are launched.  

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

IJN T8 is tricky because you basically have to stay stealthed up all the time, which means you have to be aware of all the radars and enemy DDs, not to mention understanding which ship may have hydro on, esp germans ships.

it becomes one of managing target while remaining undetected.   never fire at target going away,  broad side shots are best, but understand how fast the target is going and see if they slow down.  that will dictate how you use the torps. some use wide spread to try to get at least one shot.    shoot at target coming toward you will net you somehit, but usually one hit.   

biggest is situation awareness so you can mitigate dangers.    I pretty much stopped playing torp boat at high tier, but it can be done.    use that 5.5km  conceal, but be careful. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,022 posts
3,545 battles

What others have posted is very good advice, especially what Bear had to say. Starting DD's in a T8---yikes. I would add that maybe work your way up the IJN line possibly using the same skipper as your premium (by switching him back and forth between them, although you will have to retrain him each time you go up a tier). The lower tiers are more forgiving and will give you instincts that are less punishing to get at those levels, such as the above mentioned torp shot at a ship moving away for example. Also, doing this would have the added benefit of leveling up your captain sooner, although it does cost gold if you so choose. Or, just use a freebie skipper, but either way, work up the IJN line while enjoying your new premium. Flamu and Notser make excellent DD videos, so do some others. Hope this helps and welcome to The Dark Side lol 

Edited by Wyngs_2015
  • Cool 1

Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles

Just throwing this out there for the OP.  Think about joining a competitive clan.  Most have good training available to get new guys up to speed.  Thats a lot better than trying to figure out why guys are doing something on a video and forum posts cant cover everything, believe me I've tried. 

My personal recommendations is any clan that does well in Supremacy League as they will be solid performers in the up coming Clan Wars.  Take a look at the clan recruiting area of the form to find out what looks good, then talk to some guys about it.  Its pretty simple and teams are always looking for new guys.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

Harekaze is a bit of an oddity when it comes to DDs.

I have a few videos on Harekaze, which includes 2nd highest damage game in Harekaze, but also me totally failing.

Best thing to do is learn from other people's mistakes and don't make the same ones.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,511 battles
On 8/29/2017 at 11:00 PM, RedSeaBear said:

I have over 3000 games in destroyers, T10s in three different lines and I don't think I could begin to tell everything a new player should know to run a Tier 8 destroyer. Not to mention your new shiny DD has a bit of an Identity issue as it can play very different depending what hull you select. 

Maybe do your home work, watch the iChase "Captains Academy" videos focusing on DDs, watch Notser or Flamu videos on this specific DD or DDs in general. Than do some practice in Co-op to get a feel of the ship or play randoms very cautiously until you get a feel for the ship and how you should play its strengths.  

I totally agree!! As you know I mostly play IJN and I struggle hard in that thing. The haul "B" can melt cruisers and heavy armored DD's but breaks on BB's and OP DD's. The USN guns on haul "C" can be very fun but are little match to USN DD's. Basically the Torpedoes are the bread and butter but the reload is horrid. I've only played 65 games and been playing around with captains and this is the best I can do. I'm sure someone can do better but you really better know what you are doing. (I do have an 78K battle somewhere but only 2 kills)

59add04da691f_HarekazeKraken(1).thumb.JPG.07aed6ed708d55ec991cbfe3e6d77a53.JPG59add05170a81_HarekazeKraken(2).thumb.JPG.12a3484da100d47d07fb7b13689301b4.JPG59add0559f4a5_HarekazeKraken(3).thumb.JPG.6ec0255627b0c851032384864e5e1d71.JPG59add059af31c_HarekazeKraken(4).thumb.JPG.63ab96f0fcda0f4f84bcdb8adcd67537.JPG

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

I am doing better. My most recent game I was stalking a Bismark and the only time I got spotted was when I fired at him.

In my defense, I beat him down to 800hp with torps and he was lightning on the heals.

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,110 battles
16 minutes ago, GenErick64 said:

I am doing better. My most recent game I was stalking a Bismark and the only time I got spotted was when I fired at him.

In my defense, I beat him down to 800hp with torps and he was lightning on the heals.

ah congratulations op....wish i had your luck. I know I only have barely 600 games  under my belt  and it was my first time in this ship but today has been game after game being top of my team and still a loss ;-; I cant seem to past the 50% mark. Well i play nothing but tier 7 and 8 but still.

Screenshot (1080).png

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,511 battles
8 minutes ago, awildpervert said:

ah congratulations op....wish i had your luck. I know I only have barely 600 games  under my belt  and it was my first time in this ship but today has been game after game being top of my team and still a loss ;-; I cant seem to past the 50% mark. Well i play nothing but tier 7 and 8 but still.

Screenshot (1080).png

Akat is a beast ..... played correctly. She is tough but has good skills. This was my sole game today in Akatsuki. 

WTR.JPG.788a920b9db93eadb5ed5fb216f40905.JPG

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,110 battles
5 minutes ago, Pete_Darling said:

Akat is a beast ..... played correctly. She is tough but has good skills. This was my sole game today in Akatsuki. 

WTR.JPG.788a920b9db93eadb5ed5fb216f40905.JPG

wow amazing... I guess its just experience over time , in the beginning of a map what do you focus on, flanking etc? What tactics do you tend to use with her?

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,511 battles

Some of it is simply that, experience, but Akat has bad concealment so flank. Your torp reloads are awesome so pop 2 and if you miss you have one left and the others will be up in a sec. Your guns are good but not great so use them when you need to. Akat is also very fast so don't worry about getting spotted, a bit of wiggle, wiggle and you are out of it. I love Akat and I have friends that cannot play it so it's about play style. 

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,511 battles

That is the game - it wasn't pretty but it worked and is really how I play Akat for the most part. 

Edited by Pete_Darling

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,497 battles

Being stealthly is the #1 most important thing to me for success in a DD whether firing torps or guns. I got bored yesterday using my BBs and switched to my DDs. I was top scorer with my Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhara (115K damage) and Sims in 4 out of 5 random battles. My only bad battle was in my Atatsuki where i left my smoke too soon while firing my guns at a Scharnhorst after getting a torp hit on him. I was detected by like 5 ships and promptly vaporized. It was my fault for making a bad decision to fire my guns one last time at the German BB. You don't get too many second chances in a DD after making a mistake.

[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,313 battles

I find that if I force a cap, I die.  If I am aggressive to get to a cap, I might die.  But, if I place myself with an island between me and the cap, I can snipe at the red team and drive them out of the cap area, or hold them off until help arrives.

A living DD at the end of a match is so very dangerous!  Keep alive by not being self-destructive in the beginning