You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WildAnge11us

when you get a player that gives you grief over a match

33 comments in this topic

[JUDGE]
Members
6 posts
10,180 battles

when you get a player that gives you grief over a match (because they died) and blames you for not helping. I had a match in my fletcher. most of the team was hanging way back not pushing to caps. i took my fletcher into C on this one map and had an enemy ship in the cap with me so i couldn't cap C. i did push onward and pushed the enemy fleet that had been coming to C back with multiple torpedo volleys. all the while, the ships on my team that were supposedly coming to C just stayed back firing from a distance not even coming into the cap. i ended up way over the map on like G or H 10 because i was in a running fight firing and also trying to dodge enemy fire. after my fletcher finally was sunk, i had this guy spamming [edited] blaming me for our not taking C. mind you his BATTLSHIP : the Montana was already sunk BEFORE my fletcher. he or she tried to say it was my fault for the loss. i defended myself with stating i was pushing the cap and the enemy fleet. apparently that didn't register with the person. so i left the match (was sunk already). i then received a message in port from the person telling me uninstall. i was like gee thanks for the input but at least i was trying to play to cap and was doing what i could. i find it kind of funny that a guy whose battleship sank before my destroyer complains and tries to tell me to uninstall. i guess some people have issues and think they are all that.

here is the wonderfully funny message : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Archy_2005/cry%20baby%20in%20WOWs%201a_zpsoomgpdvf.jpg

here is the match result : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Archy_2005/cry%20baby%20in%20WOWs%202a_zpskapdizwu.jpg

the guy with the Montana didn't do much better then i did and we lost the match. not worth getting a running commentary during the match let alone message in my port but it made me think for a moment. i was thinking of how there always has to be someone in a match some time that feels the need to try to point a finger when there was nothing to point at because they just can't accept the results of a match. in all honesty i could have just sat in C and waited it out and see if the other ship (which i never saw so i figured it was a destroyer at the opposite end of the cap circle) would move on or forward to be fired upon. instead of waiting i pushed forward (never saw the enemy ship and never did see the cap bar move while crossing the cap) and i engaged the enemy ships to try to keep them back in hopes my team would move up to cap C.

so there is a lesson to be learned here : no matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who complains (if you lose) and takes the time to follow through after the match to express themselves with a less then constructive message.

i did thank the guy for the input.

cry baby in WOWs 1a.jpg

cry baby in WOWs 2a.jpg

Edited by WildAnge11us
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles

A.  It's less THAN, not less then.

B. I'd have been tempted to rag on the Montana player, along the line of "Where were you when I was trying to take C cap alone?  Why weren't YOU there helping me?"    

[SYN]
Members
14,350 posts
10,224 battles

you should focus on where things went wrong and how to fix them, instead of bothering with the chat

• Cool 1

[JUDGE]
Members
6 posts
10,180 battles
7 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

you should focus on where things went wrong and how to fix them, instead of bothering with the chat

I received the chat message. I did try to convey my point was all. as for what went wrong..... extremely conservative team play where most of the team was hanging way back and not pushing into the cap. a few did try but most stayed out and were trying to do long range bombardment. that rarely works to defend a cap and sure don't work to take a cap. I may play a little aggressive but I always thought to give it my all and try rather then play conservative and hang back with a "hope I hit something" attitude

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles
21 minutes ago, WildAnge11us said:

I received the chat message. I did try to convey my point was all. as for what went wrong..... extremely conservative team play where most of the team was hanging way back and not pushing into the cap. a few did try but most stayed out and were trying to do long range bombardment. that rarely works to defend a cap and sure don't work to take a cap. I may play a little aggressive but I always thought to give it my all and try rather then play conservative and hang back with a "hope I hit something" attitude

You should focus on not giving people reasons to send you such messages.

• Cool 1

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles

Last night I solo-capped B in my Benson and then took cover behind an island waiting to see how the match shaped up hoping someone for a chance to torpedo ambush the unwary.

Bismarck on my team cruised in and parked behind the island near me. He got detected and started taking fire from 2-3 directions, and I had no decent shots on anybody with torps or guns, so I popped smoke to cover him and cleared out. 

The Bismarck player then proceeded to berate me for not attacking one of his assailants, a Minotaur that was just beyond the edge of my range. In his mind it is apparently my role as a DD to suicide-charge my apex predator (a rapid-firing, radar-equipped, higher-tier cruiser) to protect him. He told me that since I had failed to do so, it was as if I had TK'd him myself.

He hunkered down there in the middle of the map and died to focus fire shortly after my smoke dissipated without as far as I could tell accomplishing anything. I got a kill and survived in the loss. 

[JUDGE]
Members
6 posts
10,180 battles
23 minutes ago, m373x said:

You should focus on not giving people reasons to send you such messages.

I can not play lemming and sit back at spawn and try to drop shells in and "hope to hit something" and hope the other team doesn't try to take the cap

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
187 posts
5,402 battles

Easy fix, Right click; add to blacklist. Done, no response, no post, over it.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
14 minutes ago, Dadaan said:

Easy fix, Right click; add to blacklist. Done, no response, no post, over it.

QFT. 

This is what I do when I have people message me after the battle with unhelpful pot-kettle-black comments. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,139 posts
3,867 battles

To be fair you are on the bottom of the scoreboard. That just gives him ammunition.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

OP, the story about how the match went down is anecdotal.  You have your version, he has his.  Even the thinnest paper has two sides.  Unless we have the video, it's just hearsay.

But that's not the real issue here, it's the focus being put on blame.  I personally prefer to use a word—or in this case phrase—that speaks more objectively than pointing fingers and making people get defensive:  cause and effect.  I also like to not focus on just one match because it's too small of a sample size to identify historical patterns and forecast future behavior.

You have an 8% survival rate in all 5,533 matches played, 78% of those matches in high hitpoint ships (BBs and cruisers).  Just to give you a point of reference, average players are around 40% give or take +5/-5 depending on level of aggressiveness and ship types played.  To say you are beyond aggressive and even far beyond even the classic interpretation of most players to consider others to be blindingly suicidal, is an understatement.

Let's see what else supports the fact that you likely rarely ever live longer than half the match.  In the last roughly 1000 battles played, your average damage is 22k with an average tier of 6.8

With again, mostly BB and cruisers being played during that stretch, you should be more than double that just to be average.  Since your K/D ratio and and average kills are almost zero, (far less than just half below average as your average damage) it shows that what you're likely doing is driving head-on into the enemy fleet kamikaze style and getting some damage in before they melt you with 5+ ships focusing you dead in seconds.

While you are certainly able to play this way and not be in violation of the terms of service, all the many players who enjoy this game far more with team members that stick around longer to contribute and help the team achieve victory... are going to be very angry with you.  The overwhelming majority of players in this game, even the casual ones, do not like to see their team mates suicide themselves pointlessly.

You may not care enough about what they think or maybe you do.  That's up to you to decide.  Do you want to be a team player?  Do you want to help your team win?  Do you want to fulfill your 1/12 of your responsibility as part of that team?  Does that matter to your self-respect?  We cannot answer these questions for you.

But if you're taking the time to post on the forums about someone chewing you out for your play, which you also finished at the bottom of the score board with extremely low xp (meaning barely contributed), my gut is telling me a part of you cares about "cause and effect."  The best way to silence those looking for a scapegoat is to produce results.  And one of the easiest ways to gain respect from the majority of the player base is not about not making mistakes, we all make mistakes, but learning from and not repeating the same mistakes.

• Cool 7

[JUDGE]
Members
6 posts
10,180 battles

I have no problem reading these posts and accepting the constructive criticism. I usually last easily to the 3/4 point of the battle. yes I play a bit aggressively. but I can't sit back like many and just throw shells long range and hope for the best. plus one usually has to advance to try to take the cap. as for not surviving matches.... it isn't exactly the point to always survive. it is the team not the individual that matters. sure i could run and hide and survive to the end of the match. that doesn't help the team  if one is far away not contributing and sure doesn't help my XP.
no offence to anyone here

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
34 minutes ago, WildAnge11us said:

I have no problem reading these posts and accepting the constructive criticism. I usually last easily to the 3/4 point of the battle. yes I play a bit aggressively. but I can't sit back like many and just throw shells long range and hope for the best. plus one usually has to advance to try to take the cap. as for not surviving matches.... it isn't exactly the point to always survive. it is the team not the individual that matters. sure i could run and hide and survive to the end of the match. that doesn't help the team  if one is far away not contributing and sure doesn't help my XP.
no offence to anyone here

Often when I see people being overly aggressive I point out how much they can improve their performance (and therefore be in fact a better team player) by playing more conservatively and taking personal accountability for the health of their ship so they are still around during the last 10 minutes to still be able to influence the outcome.  And like clockwork, my words are turned into meaning "sailing to the back of the map", "sniping from too far away", "not taking caps", etc.  So they go from one extreme (suicidal) to the other (cowardly passive) as if there is no middle ground.

Above average players develop the skills and awareness to find the proper equilibrium between the two and remain in that pocket the majority of the match.  Average players often skirt that equilibrium or sway back and forth through it about half the time.  Below average players are far from that equilibrium most of the time.  Incredibly below average players (your performance history) are almost never near that equilibrium.  Do not take this as an insult, in fact, you have the greatest opportunity to make the greatest gains in performance.  Top players have hit diminishing returns where there is very little they can do to improve and that's not exactly the most appealing reality to face.

You have a below average hit % but not entirely that much.  Which means you land a little more than 1/4 of every shell fired.  For you to claim you "usually last easily to the 3/4 point of the battle" (meaning more often than not), with a hit percentage you have, you must either be wildly unaware of how little you actually do survive deep into matches or you are spending an incredibly large percentage of time in battle not firing your guns.  Which doesn't make sense if you consider yourself an aggressive player and your stats speak largely to that fact.

You cannot have one and the other.  It's a mathematical impossibility.  Humans are naturally irrational beings.  Horoscopes, lucky charms, superstitions, fortune cookies, political views... we will find confirmation bias in nearly everything while ignoring blatant contradictions.  My advice is to grab a pen and paper and after every time you sink, record the time (12 minutes remaining in the battle actually means you only lasted 8 minutes, not 12).  One of three things will likely happen:

#1.  You will find out that you are in fact lasting a lot shorter than you should be in most matches and it may (I'm rooting for you) help you to make the necessary adjustments to be more productive.

#2.  Because you are consciously going through this exercise, it will indirectly (or directly) make you more aware of your survival and be less suicidal and your performance will actually improve considerably.

#3.  Because you are consciously going through this exercise, it will indirectly (or directly) cause you to overcompensate to the opposite extreme to support your point that "sailing to the back of the map", "sniping from too far away", "not taking caps", etc. is not good team play and therefore VGLance's advice (not the actual advice I'm giving, but the misinterpreted version) is not sound.

However, whichever road you take #1, #2, or #3, I guarantee you the metrics don't lie.  It will show which way you went.  #1 or  #2 are great ways to go and great opportunities to advance on the road to becoming a solid player and I hope you go either of those two routes.  Good luck!

• Cool 4

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,541 battles

Congrats on taking the opportunity to research and coach the kid who said literally nothing about his ability level but was talking about players behavior, which I must agree, is very often unbearable.  So that being said, I too have witnessed that you can often be the best player in the match and still get griefed, reported, insulted, and pm'd afterward.    

Edited by MajorHavoc
  • Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
10 hours ago, Dadaan said:

Easy fix, carefully craft a reply message that will solicit a few pages of response and extraordinary amounts of time spent, send it, then Right click; add to blacklist. Done, no response, no post, over it.

Fixed that for you.  Waste their time too.  Always, waste their time.  It is the only finite thing that everyone has no matter who they are.  

Edited by AnimaL21

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

Yesterday I ran into the world's best Tirpitz player. He didn't like that I didn't pop smoke for him while we were 18km from the nearest enemy so he put a 30k hole in my Belfast because i wasn't being a team player.

[D12]
3,063 posts
8,830 battles
10 hours ago, VGLance said:

OP, the story about how the match went down is anecdotal.  You have your version, he has his.  Even the thinnest paper has two sides.  Unless we have the video, it's just hearsay.

But that's not the real issue here, it's the focus being put on blame.  I personally prefer to use a word—or in this case phrase—that speaks more objectively than pointing fingers and making people get defensive:  cause and effect.  I also like to not focus on just one match because it's too small of a sample size to identify historical patterns and forecast future behavior.

You have an 8% survival rate in all 5,533 matches played, 78% of those matches in high hitpoint ships (BBs and cruisers).  Just to give you a point of reference, average players are around 40% give or take +5/-5 depending on level of aggressiveness and ship types played.  To say you are beyond aggressive and even far beyond even the classic interpretation of most players to consider others to be blindingly suicidal, is an understatement.

Let's see what else supports the fact that you likely rarely ever live longer than half the match.  In the last roughly 1000 battles played, your average damage is 22k with an average tier of 6.8

With again, mostly BB and cruisers being played during that stretch, you should be more than double that just to be average.  Since your K/D ratio and and average kills are almost zero, (far less than just half below average as your average damage) it shows that what you're likely doing is driving head-on into the enemy fleet kamikaze style and getting some damage in before they melt you with 5+ ships focusing you dead in seconds.

While you are certainly able to play this way and not be in violation of the terms of service, all the many players who enjoy this game far more with team members that stick around longer to contribute and help the team achieve victory... are going to be very angry with you.  The overwhelming majority of players in this game, even the casual ones, do not like to see their team mates suicide themselves pointlessly.

You may not care enough about what they think or maybe you do.  That's up to you to decide.  Do you want to be a team player?  Do you want to help your team win?  Do you want to fulfill your 1/12 of your responsibility as part of that team?  Does that matter to your self-respect?  We cannot answer these questions for you.

But if you're taking the time to post on the forums about someone chewing you out for your play, which you also finished at the bottom of the score board with extremely low xp (meaning barely contributed), my gut is telling me a part of you cares about "cause and effect."  The best way to silence those looking for a scapegoat is to produce results.  And one of the easiest ways to gain respect from the majority of the player base is not about not making mistakes, we all make mistakes, but learning from and not repeating the same mistakes.

Don't let this speech get you down.  I played 24 matches in my Fiji, survived 1.  Metrics in a game and in work or real life can be manipulated. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles

I had a player start ranting at me in game because he wanted my support in his BB and I did not give it as I was busy elsewhere he then PMd me dozens of times over the next 2 days ... its a freaken game .. just a game

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
2 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Don't let this speech get you down.  I played 24 matches in my Fiji, survived 1.  Metrics in a game and in work or real life can be manipulated. 

And just like in work and real life (aren't they the same?), successful businesses and people know how to analyze the numbers and see who is manipulating them and for what ends. Just like the WTR farmer with abnormally high games in the Farragut. Or someone boasting about their 100% win rate in the Shchors when they only have 5 games played in it. 

The 'speech' wasn't about 'getting someone down,' and if taking a real thorough and purely objective look at our performance history stirs defensive emotions, it's a troubling sign. In order to know the best places we can go (self improvement), we have to have the humility to reflect honestly on where we've been. 

That is no different whether it's a video game or real life. Yes a video game is not as important as your job or other aspects of real life, but the principle within the confines of the game is very important. Tossing out the "it's just a game" card or deflecting and trivializing an issue by trying to compare gaming to real life is so often done when trying to justify poor behavior or decisions that do not improve a person's skill or personality. Which if you study the anthropological and historical aspects of games, you'd know that since the beginning of man, games were used as entertaining ways to develop skills, everything from physical to interpersonal (social skills) to intellectual while simultaneously representing aspects of real life.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 6

Members
396 posts
9,434 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Yesterday I ran into the world's best Tirpitz player. He didn't like that I didn't pop smoke for him while we were 18km from the nearest enemy so he put a 30k hole in my Belfast because i wasn't being a team player.

LOL, I had the exact opposite in my Tirp a week or two ago, a DD got mad at me for not staying in his smoke, I had just sunk a BB from 10km away and the next nearest enemy was around 17-18k heading away around an island. He smoked me in the middle of my u-turn to head back towards the enemy. He said "I'm done laying smoke for BB's", I said thanks but I didn't need it as I needed to close the distance (I never asked nor did he give me a heads up)... he of course got even more bent out of shape.

And +1 x3 on VGLances constructive criticism in here, this game is all about finding the correct balance of aggression in any given moment.

Both being too aggressive and not being aggressive enough can both be detrimental to your teams effort and it can be an extremely fine line between the two at times.

Edited by bewbs_

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,651 posts
7,540 battles

A couple weeks ago a relatively known twitch streamer was trash talking me in a game, talking about how useless and terrible I am. Turns out he was 5th by xp on the team with 1 kill and 75k damage where I was 2nd with 3 kills and 135k damage. 

Some people are not as good as they feel they should be so they make up for it by abusing the players around them. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,768 posts
12,868 battles
14 hours ago, WildAnge11us said:

when you get a player that gives you grief over a match (because they died) and blames you for not helping.

If it's in chat during game, I either ignore it, or disable the player's chat.  If it's post game, I'll read it but have never replied.  If they actually provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (which I can't remember if they ever did), I would consider it.  They usually just yell and scream about  how bad I am or provide a rant without any way for me to comprehend what they are ranting about...other than just ranting.  Ignore...move on.

Example of "constructive" criticism:  "If you used AP against the BB at the end game, you would have sunk him before he sank you".

Example of rant:  "You suck with BBs. Never should have lost to that BB as the end game.  Please uninstall".

See the difference?  In the former, you've provided guidance on how to make the player better. In the latter, all you've done is denigrate a player without letting them know what they did wrong.

Also, keep in mind that even though this is a "game", it still raises testosterone and all the other physical and mental things involved with true fighting.  Some people just gotta blow off steam and will take it on you.  Recognize that for what it is, and move along.