Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoneStormchaser

UK Battleship Captain Skills "What to Choose"

134 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles

With the release of the UK BB, tomorrow, I was curious about which skills to choose for the Capt. After looking at what Wiki says, it became apparent that every tier has a separate recommendation. This can be costly in doubloons if we choose to restructure our Capts. at every tier.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ships_of_U.K.

Any idea or advice on which skills are best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,949 posts
8,811 battles

They're battleships.  Survivability builds are typically best:

Priority Target

High Alert

Basics of Survivability

Fire Prevention and/or Advanced Firing Training (for more dakka)

 

After that:

Superintendent 

Adrenaline Rush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

Since you'll be grinding this line to get to the top tier BBs, I'd recommending going after the skills that will be the most useful in high-tier play. 

 

My personal recommendation? I'm gonna use: 

- Priority Target
- Adrenaline Rush
- Superintendent
- Concealment Expert 

 

As my core build. From there, go nutz. 


P.S. Use Emergency Takeoff for brownie points!  [edit: <- this is a joke. please don't actually do this. or @Pigeon_of_War will fire me]

Edited by GrafZeppelinKai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,074
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,225 posts
3,082 battles
Just now, GrafZeppelinKai said:

P.S. Use Emergency Takeoff for brownie points! 

 

Note: Don't actually do this. Also, no survivability expert. That is a bad. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,046
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,668 posts
9,985 battles

Personally I'm going to put my Nelson/Warspite skipper in with:

  1. Preventative Maintenance (I considered Priority Target)
  2. Expert Marksman and Adrenalin Rush
  3. Superintendent and Vigilance
  4. Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention

General observations -

  • Top tier has no aircraft and the line has no hydro so Vigilance is useful (also useful on Nelson)
  • Turret traverse is very bad low tier, and even high tier it's useful so Expert Marksman is good
  • The heal is super, an extra charge with superintendent is great
  • Concealment is worth building for across the line
  • Fire Prevention is a wonderful skill period
  • AA is poor-bad across the line, and carriers are rare, little value speccing for them
  • Secondaries are poor effectively across the line and little value speccing for them
  • Adrenalin Rush is good value for 2 points, at half health it's 10% off reload (BFT is 10% off for 3 points...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[WG-CC]
[WG-CC]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members
851 posts
7,539 battles
5 minutes ago, GrafZeppelinKai said:

P.S. Use Emergency Takeoff for brownie points! 

Don't forget IFHE! :Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,987
[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,579 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

 

Note: Don't actually do this. Also, no survivability expert. That is a bad. 

 

:cap_hmm: A bad advice captain for British BBs??

Incoming Fire Alert

Last Stand 

Survivability Expert 

Radio Location

Than I would suggest IFHE, Jack of All Trades and finally Superintendent. 

You know the kind of captain build that ticks off certain Youtubers and others lol. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,074
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,225 posts
3,082 battles
5 minutes ago, Sharkbait_416 said:

Don't forget IFHE! :Smile_trollface:

 

NExFJ3z.jpg?1

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,046
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,668 posts
9,985 battles
9 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Than I would suggest IFHE, Jack of All Trades and finally Superintendent. 

IFHE seems useful for citadelling cruisers with HE at lower tiers, though I think that's niche.

I think the high tier ships only get 2 repair party consumables base, so getting superintendent and the premium version seems pretty vital to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Keep an eye on the Tubers for builds. 

 

They should get them out pretty quickly when everyone is sure these are the same ships that they tested.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,282 posts
4,358 battles
4 minutes ago, Axiomaticranger said:

You DO want Demolition Expert, though. Especially on your Conqueror Captain. :Smile_trollface:

I would have thought that the increase that DE gives you is not worth the points at that level:)  They are pretty much DE as delivered :)

M

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,594 battles
3 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

I would have thought that the increase that DE gives you is not worth the points at that level:)  They are pretty much DE as delivered :)

M

 

^ my thoughts exactly. 

If you've played the Lion on the test server, a 2% increase in fire chance would be a waste of 3 skill points. Boosting an 8% fire chance to 10% is a big deal. Boosting 40% or whatever the ridiculous number is by a mere 2% is nothing.

OTOH Basics of Survivability, decreasing the duration of fires set by opposing Brit BBs by 15%,  may prove essential. Superintendent so you have more of those absurd heals will be essential. Vigilance because the torpedo belts are lame. EM because turret traverse is painfully slow, and Concealment Expert because sneaking up is good for any ship and going dark to use your magic heal will be a vital part of your play style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,282 posts
4,358 battles
Just now, Landing_Skipper said:

 

^ my thoughts exactly. 

If you've played the Lion on the test server, a 2% increase in fire chance would be a waste of 3 skill points. Boosting an 8% fire chance to 10% is a big deal. Boosting 40% or whatever the ridiculous number is by a mere 2% is nothing.

OTOH Basics of Survivability, decreasing the duration of fires set by opposing Brit BBs by 15%,  may prove essential. Superintendent so you have more of those absurd heals will be essential. Vigilance because the torpedo belts are lame. EM because turret traverse is painfully slow, and Concealment Expert because sneaking up is good for any ship and going dark to use your magic heal will be a vital part of your play style. 

Superintendant absolutely..  Vigilance yeppers Can't see a use for fireproofing because zombie heal on fires.. EM and CE yes..  I think the rest is probably whatever you fancy :)

M

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

They're battleships.  Survivability builds are typically best:

Priority Target

High Alert

Basics of Survivability

Fire Prevention and/or Advanced Firing Training (for more dakka)

 

After that:

Superintendent 

Adrenaline Rush

 

1 hour ago, Killjoy1941 said:

 

1 hour ago, GrafZeppelinKai said:

Since you'll be grinding this line to get to the top tier BBs, I'd recommending going after the skills that will be the most useful in high-tier play. 

 

My personal recommendation? I'm gonna use: 

- Priority Target
- Adrenaline Rush
- Superintendent
- Concealment Expert 

 

As my core build. From there, go nutz. 


P.S. Use Emergency Takeoff for brownie points!  [edit: <- this is a joke. please don't actually do this. or @Pigeon_of_War will fire me]

 

1 hour ago, RivertheRoyal said:

 

Note: Don't actually do this. Also, no survivability expert. That is a bad. 

 

 

So none of you guys, WIKI EDITORS.....have any idea.....:Smile_facepalm:............HOPELESS

So...I guess, WIKI just jots down an idea, and says................I need Mouse...........Too bad she only does Premiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
4,982 posts
5,610 battles
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

They're battleships.  Survivability builds are typically best:

Priority Target

High Alert

Basics of Survivability

Fire Prevention and/or Advanced Firing Training (for more dakka)

 

After that:

Superintendent 

Adrenaline Rush

2 hours ago, Killjoy1941 said:
2 hours ago, GrafZeppelinKai said:

Since you'll be grinding this line to get to the top tier BBs, I'd recommending going after the skills that will be the most useful in high-tier play. 

 

My personal recommendation? I'm gonna use: 

- Priority Target
- Adrenaline Rush
- Superintendent
- Concealment Expert 

 

As my core build. From there, go nutz. 


P.S. Use Emergency Takeoff for brownie points!  [edit: <- this is a joke. please don't actually do this. or @Pigeon_of_War will fire me]

2 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

 

Note: Don't actually do this. Also, no survivability expert. That is a bad. 

 

 

2 hours ago, Sharkbait_416 said:

Don't forget IFHE! :Smile_trollface:

No wonder the wiki looks the way it does, and why I have people tell me it's unreliable.

Edited by KmsH44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

 

 

2 hours ago, Killjoy1941 said:

 

 

2 hours ago, GrafZeppelinKai said:

 

 

2 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

 

 

2 hours ago, Sharkbait_416 said:

 

 

Five of you in here. Wow. 

 

It just goes to show really, how differently people play their ships, even with core and recommended skills. Gotta love the troll skills thrown in for added measure! :Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,949 posts
8,811 battles
4 minutes ago, KmsH44 said:

No wonder the wiki looks the way it does, and why I have people tell me it's unreliable.

 

If you think you can do better, step up.  

Commander skills are personal preference.  All we can do is make recommendations, which is all the OP asked for.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,949 posts
8,811 battles
39 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

So none of you guys, WIKI EDITORS.....have any idea.....:Smile_facepalm:............HOPELESS

So...I guess, WIKI just jots down an idea, and says................I need Mouse...........Too bad she only does Premiums.

 

You asked for recommendations.  That's what you got.  What are we supposed to do, hold your hand and tell you step-by-step how to play the ship?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[-SYN-]
Members
212 posts
4,240 battles

I think this is the most wiki editors I've seen at once, that isn't Pidgeon's stream.

Personally, I'm not 100% sure on how I'm going to build them. They don't seem built for secondaries like the Germans, or AA like Americans can pull off. So I'm questioning if BFT/AFT is gonna be useful, and instead thinking going full conceilment/survivability. Particulary from PoW on.

Probably:

- Preventative Maint
- Adrenaline Rush
- Superintendent
- Concealment Expert 

Mostly to keep my main guns firing as long as possible, and allow me to readjust/break contact if I'm in over my head. After that, I'll see how the ships seem to be playing out and decide if the second trip up the tree will get BFT/AFT and most likely fire prevention as the second four point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970
[_K_]
Members
3,075 posts
6,485 battles
47 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

So none of you guys, WIKI EDITORS.....have any idea.....:Smile_facepalm:............HOPELESS

So...I guess, WIKI just jots down an idea, and says................I need Mouse...........Too bad she only does Premiums.

 

15 minutes ago, KmsH44 said:

No wonder the wiki looks the way it does, and why I have people tell me it's unreliable.

 

I listed real, usable builds, the others were having fun.

 

That said, I'll elaborate since both of you don't understand what a resource is or how it works.

1. Captain skill recommendations are based on usefulness, not optimal builds. It's entirely up to the player to decide how he or she wants to play a ship and build its captain. Yes, that means SE is useful on a BB because it gives extra HP, but not terribly useful relative to other skills, so it gets a single star.

2. A build is entirely dependent on what threats/advantages the player wishes to address. If we were to recommend an AA build, aggressive players who prefer defensive/offensive skills over passive skills would get no useful information at a glance. Thus, we choose to evaluate as per #1.

 

Now, go find someone to tell you how to play like good little children incapable of reason.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
7 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

 

You asked for recommendations.  That's what you got.  What are we supposed to do, hold your hand and tell you step-by-step how to play the ship?

All I asked was a simple question. But it's become apparent, that none of you guys at Wiki know what your talking about, instead, you come out and show what you guys are made of. Not one, gave a reasonable answer. In fact, the answers given was the same I could expect from a weekend troll. If you can't answer, then either say so or something on the line, "we have no idea" Your Capt. If your Capt. Skills, that are posted in Wiki, are accurate, than just say so, other than that, I don't really care what you think.

Now I don't need you to "hold my hand" but my question was......so please, don't attack me. I am serious about the Capt. Skills for the UK BB line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
3 minutes ago, Killjoy1941 said:

 

 

I listed real, usable builds, the others were having fun.

 

That said, I'll elaborate since both of you don't understand what a resource is or how it works.

1. Captain skill recommendations are based on usefulness, not optimal builds. It's entirely up to the player to decide how he or she wants to play a ship and build its captain. Yes, that means SE is useful on a BB because it gives extra HP, but not terribly useful relative to other skills, so it gets a single star.

2. A build is entirely dependent on what threats/advantages the player wishes to address. If we were to recommend an AA build, aggressive players who prefer defensive/offensive skills over passive skills would get no useful information at a glance. Thus, we choose to evaluate as per #1.

 

Now, go find someone to tell you how to play like good little children incapable of reason.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×