You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ju87s

Not really understanding WG's motive for the UK battle missions

46 comments in this topic

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,084 battles

So completing these missions will get you the first 3 BBs in the RNBB line for free.  What I don't really get is why WG would want to do this?  They just spent a lot of time, money, and effort making this line, so why would they want their players to be able to instantly skip ships they just put out to play?  My only theory is that they want to get the more skilled players who could complete the missions out of the lowest tier ships as soon as possible to prevent the less experienced players from getting clubbed hard and spoiling the fun for them.  What do you guys think?

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

My theory is that it is an apology of sorts for the inordinate amount of time it has taken for the RN BBs to come out.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles

It is to spread the player base out a bit so the BB apocalypse will not be as bad as it was when the German BB's came out.

Some players will skip ahead and some will not.

Most players did not finish the missions so...

This also makes it easier for some of the free to play players to progress since some of them will now have 3 more port slots.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles
3 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

So completing these missions will get you the first 3 BBs in the RNBB line for free.  What I don't really get is why WG would want to do this?  They just spent a lot of time, money, and effort making this line, so why would they want their players to be able to instantly skip ships they just put out to play?  My only theory is that they want to get the more skilled players who could complete the missions out of the lowest tier ships as soon as possible to prevent the less experienced players from getting clubbed hard and spoiling the fun for them.  What do you guys think?

b3MHf9R.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,964 battles

I agree it's slightly odd, I'm not quite sure what I'll do with the 3, usually I just grind up.

It could be to partially spread out the wave of T3 battleships, some people will be playing Iron Duke from the get go, widening the pool.

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
293 posts

Some of us like playing all the tiers even if we've progressed past them already.  I have over 100 port slots and play every tier on a regular basis.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,084 battles
1 minute ago, Vulgarr said:

Some of us like playing all the tiers even if we've progressed past them already.  I have over 100 port slots and play every tier on a regular basis.

Sure, I'm the same way.  But that's all the more reason to just grind through it anyway like you normally would.

Members
1,506 posts
1,138 battles

Maybe they just thought it would be nice?

I'd personally rather not look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when that gift horse is giving me three free port slots and letting me start the line without spending credits

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
293 posts
Just now, Ju87s said:

Sure, I'm the same way.  But that's all the more reason to just grind through it anyway like you normally would.

Which I will, but the blueprints save me the cost of buying them.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Probably to prevent the long queues like in all the past releases.  New line comes out, day one and it's a 5:00 minute or more wait time for battle. 

[BRZKR]
293 posts

Adding on to my earlier comment, however I suspect the real reason is to spread the player base out a bit.  In the past whenever a new line comes out, everyone is in the lower tiers for the first 24 hours or so leaving the upper tier games unbalanced.  Giving the diehard players a chance to start at tier 5 will spread everyone out a bit.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,084 battles
1 minute ago, More_Witches said:

I'd personally rather not look a gift horse in the mouth,

I don't think that's what I'm doing right now.  I'm more just questioning why I'm getting a gift horse to begin.  I guess the queue times makes sense.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
6 minutes ago, paradat said:

It is to spread the player base out a bit so the BB apocalypse will not be as bad as it was when the German BB's came out.

Bingo.  This sounds like an excellent reason to do it.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
11 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I'd tend to agree, but I think it's less to do with skill and just more to spread the field out. The missions weren't especially hard in most cases, but were harder as they progressed, so a good many people should be skipping at least the first ship this way.

Personally, I didn't bother with the missions because I like grinding out ship lines and didn't want a shortcut. 

[BRZKR]
293 posts
Just now, TTK_Aegis said:

I'd tend to agree, but I think it's less to do with skill and just more to spread the field out. The missions weren't especially hard in most cases, but were harder as they progressed, so a good many people should be skipping at least the first ship this way.

Personally, I didn't bother with the missions because I like grinding out ship lines and didn't want a shortcut. 

Same.  I ended up completing them however without actively trying to complete them because you only needed to complete the 3rd stage of each mission to get the blueprint flag.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,139 posts
3,867 battles

Looks like I'm playing nothing but Nagato, Bayern, Hood, and Scharnhorst tomorrow.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,562 battles

Why would WG give out several different Kongo and Myoko clones or even an Atago clone?

Why would WG give out Premium ships just like the Marblehead, Kami R, Graf Spee or several different low tier ships?

Why would WG give out 2 T6 BBs, 2 T6 CLs and a T6 DD with premium camos?

Why would WG give out the T8 Bismark with two premium camos? 

szXn25L.gif

But if I had to guess, maybe WG likes to reward the people who play the game by giving them ships. 

They could also be incentivizing people to play certain ship lines.

So while these digital boats cost real man hours to produce it would seem WG is making enough off the Wallet Warriors to allow them to give some pixels away for free every now and again.  

• Cool 2

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles
13 minutes ago, Vulgarr said:

Adding on to my earlier comment, however I suspect the real reason is to spread the player base out a bit.  In the past whenever a new line comes out, everyone is in the lower tiers for the first 24 hours or so leaving the upper tier games unbalanced.  Giving the diehard players a chance to start at tier 5 will spread everyone out a bit.

I guess is pretty much this, they want to spread the players. Every line they release the botton tiers get congested and lower tiers get over populated. 

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Think also it invests people from the start.  I for one was going to wait a bit before jumping in to the RN BBs, have some fun spamming torps so I was not queued up as long, now will have three new toys to outfit(spend credits), plus play if so desired. Would have been interesting to see if the French Cruiser line intro would have been more heavily played if free ships given before

[TBOW]
Members
1,175 posts
10,410 battles

Think of it as the Drug dealer giving you a taste and getting you hooked cause you liked it.  That is what I equate this too.  It is to get you hooked on the new ships.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts
12 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Same here, too.   I didn't do any of the campaign missions, so no blueprints for me.  I prefer to start from the beginning anyway- that way I have a decent captain to put IN those higher tier ships.

It'd be nice if it really worked out to spread the crowds out when they release.  Seeing 3/4 of the team in Nassau or Kaiser was a bummer.  I personally hope the tier 7 is really, really REALLY fun- so fun that we get to see BB's OTHER than Scharnhorst and Gneisenau once in a while, lol.

Members
417 posts
12,490 battles

I'll sell the tier III and be happy with the extra port slot. I'll keep the tier IV for at least the Corgi event, possibly longer if I like it. Tier V will be kept indefinitely as I collect all ships tier V and above.

I would have normally free exp'd up to the tier IV anyhow, getting it for free and the tier V just saves me a few rounds, and gains me 3 port slots.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles
17 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Looks like I'm playing nothing but Nagato, Bayern, Hood, and Scharnhorst tomorrow.

No if you really want to counter play grab your DD's

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,139 posts
3,867 battles
Just now, paradat said:

No if you really want to counter play grab your DD's

You're right, I shouldn't discount using Akatsuki or my Kamikazes.