You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PJALSTARz

Wargaming needs to bring offline installation

16 comments in this topic

[NIN-]
Members
8 posts
1,513 battles

I think wargaming should bring offline installation for all there games including world of warships, because my wows gets way to much errors for me to be wasting a whole day in downloading a game, JUST BRING OFFLINE INSTALLATION!! life would be so much easier.

CONS of online installation: it takes forever to an installation that would only take an hour to an hour and a half.

Although my internet is fast it some how takes over 9 hours to reach 10%

And my cousin internet nextdoor 4-6 hours to download

With offline installation, it would take me about 2 hours to download the installation package and I could keep it just in case an error occur

Thank you for reading

Wargaming or someone who works there better read this

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles

you have to be online to DL the game.... and if you DL the installer (Again need to be online) and run said installer, you would, once again, need to be online to get the content, especially if there was an update...
And speaking of updates... what good would your idea be if there are patches about every month or so.....???

I mean it sounds good on paper, but when ot comes to these kind of games.... it is not a very good idea and will not really save any time at all

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
24 minutes ago, PJALSTARz said:

offline installation

Do you mean installing the game on to the PC after its initial packages are downloaded? Because that could be done but its an unnecessary wrinkle.

If you are talking about installing the game from start to finish offline, well thats impossible the game is downloaded from offline. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles
7 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

you have to be online to DL the game.... and if you DL the installer (Again need to be online) and run said installer, you would, once again, need to be online to get the content, especially if there was an update...
And speaking of updates... what good would your idea be if there are patches about every month or so.....???

I mean it sounds good on paper, but when ot comes to these kind of games.... it is not a very good idea and will not really save any time at all

I think the OP is talking about downloading the entire patch and then running it to patch the game. This way he could use a higher speed connection to download the patch and then play on what must be a much slower but still fast enough to play connection.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,484 posts
6,657 battles

OPs profile says Trinidad and Tobago, I don't know what the nearest mirror for downloads is, but he may or may not benefit from turning off the p2p (in options/updates) and opting for direct download. Also we do not know his ISP's bandwidth. But yeh, WOWS is an especially big client compared to for example, WOT, and takes a long time even with my own reliable 4mb/sec bandwidth.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Something off with your isp.

Updates take me like less than 15mins total.

Nothing special regular cable.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
1 hour ago, devastator5000 said:

Do you mean installing the game on to the PC after its initial packages are downloaded? Because that could be done but its an unnecessary wrinkle.

If you are talking about installing the game from start to finish offline, well thats impossible the game is downloaded from offline. 

The only means of "offline installation" I know of currently would be from something like a DVD.  And frankly, that sounds like a big pain in the butt for WG, given how often they're coming out with new updates.  About the only way I could see this working would be for WG to set up some sort of program which you'd have to sign up for (and pay for) which would burn you a DVD of the update and then send it to you by mail.  But this would also mean that you wouldn't be able to play the game after a new update until the DVD package arrive and you'd installed it.

In the last few months, my living situation has been ... less than optimal.  What I did to DL the updates was to go to places with the fastest and most reliable WiFi.  I could play in places with passable WiFi, but downloads could be glacial.  So I just went to places that had better wifi.  That's what I'd suggest the OP should consider, assuming that he's playing on a laptop.  If he's on a desktop, well, then that's a completely different story.  Just start the download before you go to bed, and if you have to, stop the DL in the morning and restart it later, maybe the next night, if need be.

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

The only means of "offline installation" I know of currently would be from something like a DVD.  And frankly, that sounds like a big pain in the butt for WG, given how often they're coming out with new updates.  About the only way I could see this working would be for WG to set up some sort of program which you'd have to sign up for (and pay for) which would burn you a DVD of the update and then send it to you by mail.  But this would also mean that you wouldn't be able to play the game after a new update until the DVD package arrive and you'd installed it.

In the last few months, my living situation has been ... less than optimal.  What I did to DL the updates was to go to places with the fastest and most reliable WiFi.  I could play in places with passable WiFi, but downloads could be glacial.  So I just went to places that had better wifi.  That's what I'd suggest the OP should consider, assuming that he's playing on a laptop.  If he's on a desktop, well, then that's a completely different story.  Just start the download before you go to bed, and if you have to, stop the DL in the morning and restart it later, maybe the next night, if need be.

Yeah going to a place with better Wi-Fi is the only option I can see, DVDs and Disks work great for games with less frequent updates but WG updates WoWs at least every other week with patches and fixes so a DVD would be more of a hassle then a help.

[NIN-]
Members
8 posts
1,513 battles
On 8/29/2017 at 6:14 PM, nuttybiscuit said:

OPs profile says Trinidad and Tobago, I don't know what the nearest mirror for downloads is, but he may or may not benefit from turning off the p2p (in options/updates) and opting for direct download. Also we do not know his ISP's bandwidth. But yeh, WOWS is an especially big client compared to for example, WOT, and takes a long time even with my own reliable 4mb/sec bandwidth.

Trinidad and Tobago is in the Caribbean, off coast of Venezuela 

My download speed 30Mbps broadband connection, but it can take up to 9+ hours to download 10% at times and on my cousin next door download speed is 25Mbps fiber connection and downloads in just 4 hours, but normal updates downloads fine at times,

It could also be my laptop to, my slow laptop

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,484 posts
6,657 battles
1 minute ago, PJALSTARz said:

Trinidad and Tobago is in the Caribbean, off coast of Venezuela 

My download speed 30Mbps broadband connection, but it can take up to 9+ hours to download 10% at times and on my cousin next door download speed is 25Mbps fiber connection and downloads in just 4 hours, but normal updates downloads fine at times,

It could also be my laptop to, my slow laptop

have you turned off p2p in options/updates in the launcher?

Members
9 posts
1,365 battles
On 8/29/2017 at 4:45 PM, Crucis said:

Make the update available on torrent.

As to it being a pain and too much for WG.

Stand alone patches and updates have been around since the days of DOS 3.0.

Only lazy companies are not capable of creating a stand alone update and placing it on a server.

Microsoft does it, and so do many other companies.

Edited by Pogo68

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
2 hours ago, Pogo68 said:

Make the update available on torrent.

As to it being a pain and too much for WG.

Stand alone patches and updates have been around since the days of DOS 3.0.

Only lazy companies are not capable of creating a stand alone update and placing it on a server.

Microsoft does it, and so do many other companies.

If you're getting an update via a torrent, aren't you still online?  How can an update be "off line" is you're using the internet to get it?  Seems to me that the real off line updates are ones involving some sort of medium like CD's, DVD's, whatever.  That's truly off-line.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, devastator5000 said:

Yeah going to a place with better Wi-Fi is the only option I can see, DVDs and Disks work great for games with less frequent updates but WG updates WoWs at least every other week with patches and fixes so a DVD would be more of a hassle then a help.

Exactly.   Like you said, when the updates are every 2-3 weeks, DVDs would be a major hassle for pretty much everyone.

Members
9 posts
1,365 battles
On 9/19/2017 at 11:35 AM, Crucis said:

If you're getting an update via a torrent, aren't you still online?  How can an update be "off line" is you're using the internet to get it?  Seems to me that the real off line updates are ones involving some sort of medium like CD's, DVD's, whatever.  That's truly off-line.

The difference is that a torrent file will be a patch that does not require having to continually access the World of Warship server during the patching process.

Everything that is needed would be in the patch file.

It's a kind of patch that World of Warplanes and World of Tanks use to use.

My current issue for example 

I can connect to the internet, play any game, from WOWP to War Thunder, even IL-2 1946 online.

But try having the WG Gaming center connect to the WoWS server to download an update and it tells me to check the internet connection.

And yet that same Gaming Center is happily downloading World of Warplanes updates.

Edited by Pogo68

[NIN-]
Members
8 posts
1,513 battles
On 9/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, Crucis said:

I was thinking something like this, You can download the Patch form your Browser (it will be like an ISO file"  using "IDM" to download it at max speed then mount the iso file in wargaming launcher and it will update offline

[NIN-]
Members
8 posts
1,513 battles
On 9/16/2017 at 1:09 PM, nuttybiscuit said:

have you turned off p2p in options/updates in the launcher?

yeah but its updating normal now atm