You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

The 200 Knot Russian Torpedo. Coming to WG?

60 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
604 posts
8,725 battles

With all the Russian bias in World of Warships it would not surprise me to see this in the game.  Can you imagine a torpedo doing 200 knots?  The negative is that it only has a 10km range.  At 1500m per second it would only take a few seconds to go 10km.

200kt torpedo

• Cool 1

Members
471 posts
1,992 battles

They will probably put those on the cruise missile dds to compensate for removing those missiles.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
38 minutes ago, db4100 said:

With all the Russian bias in World of Warships it would not surprise me to see this in the game.  Can you imagine a torpedo doing 200 knots?  The negative is that it only has a 10km range.  At 1500m per second it would only take a few seconds to go 10km.

200kt torpedo

Uhhh... it would take well over a minute.  200 knots is not 1500 m/s.

Edited by AspiringCodger
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
40 minutes ago, db4100 said:

200kt torpedo

4PtCy9r.jpg

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,149 posts
3,867 battles

Battleship mains will still find a way to blame it on Shimakaze and justify further nerfs to one of the two worst performing tier 10 destroyers.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
11 minutes ago, Sventex said:

4PtCy9r.jpg

You know what Stalin did to him, right?  He sent an assassin to Mexico City who stuck a screwdriver in the top of his head to the handle then broke it off....

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
59 minutes ago, db4100 said:

You realize that 200 knots is like 3 times as fast as your standard 65 knot torpedo, right? And thus it would take longer than 'a few seconds' to go 10km.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
13 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

You know what Stalin did to him, right?  He sent an assassin to Mexico City who stuck a screwdriver in the top of his head to the handle then broke it off....

That's news to me, I read he was brained by a ice axe, but still fought off his attacker afterward and made it to the hospital.  Anyway, he was head of the Red Army and is better able to pull off a smug smile better then Stalin ever could, plus he was actually competent in military matters.

Edited by Sventex

[SYN]
Members
4,524 posts
11,433 battles

They already took the liberty of including fictional Soviet boats that could get halfway to 100 knots.  I don't see why they would hesitate to include 200 knot shkvals.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
1 hour ago, db4100 said:

200kt torpedo

Also for reference, 200kts is only 370.4 km per hour.  It would take it a full minute to go 6.1kms.  That said, with distance compression in the game, who knows how long it would take.

[-I-]
Members
146 posts
3,882 battles

I'm not convinced they're able to steer them all that well. Which means their utility is probably limited to hitting ultra large things like aircraft carriers

Edited by publord

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,149 posts
3,867 battles
Just now, JojoTheMongol said:

Can the USN get railguns?

But those would only ever overpen everything they hit.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles

Yawn same old stupid 'wah wah russianbias' [edited] again.

Shkval is out of period, not gonna happen.

Meanwhile several Russian ships have the 2nd fastest torps in the game already, yet nobody ever complains about it, why?

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
39 minutes ago, publord said:

I'm not convinced they're able to steer them all that well. Which means their utility is probably limited to hitting ultra large things like aircraft carriers

The range on these things is trash, a fraction of what "conventional" torpedoes currently in use can do. That means you have to get much closer to your target, and the chance of detection is correspondingly greater... and the torpedo itself is so noisy that launching it will instantly give away the attacking submarine's position, inviting retaliation from the target (or, even if he doesn't have time to react, his friends). 

At least one article I read speculates the only real purpose for the Shkval, given its drawbacks, is to serve as a "revenge" weapon. With a nuclear warhead it would very likely destroy the sub using it as well as the target, or the conventional-warhead version would just be launched along the bearing of an incoming torpedo by an already-doomed submarine to try to take its attacker down with it. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,149 posts
3,867 battles
19 minutes ago, hoom said:

Yawn same old stupid 'wah wah russianbias' [edited] again.

Shkval is out of period, not gonna happen.

Meanwhile several Russian ships have the 2nd fastest torps in the game already, yet nobody ever complains about it, why?

You appear to have missed the part where WG was seriously testing cruise missiles for Russian destroyers.

The reason their currently torpedoes are fine right now is because the range is ludicrously short.

Edited by AraAragami

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles

Shkval is unquestionably later than the first anti-ship missiles.

And if there was such huge obvious Russianbias the 70kt torps would be 10km but they're 4km because balance.

[SYN]
Members
4,524 posts
11,433 battles
33 minutes ago, hoom said:

And if there was such huge obvious Russianbias the 70kt torps would be 10km but they're 4km because balance.

That's right, because the torpedoes are why Russian DDs are so good in matches, amirite?  :cap_like:

Edited by Kuckoo

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles
3 hours ago, db4100 said:

With all the Russian bias in World of Warships

The anti russian bias is really strong here  :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles
27 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

That's right, because the torpedoes are why Russian DDs are so good in matches, amirite?

Well you gotta get damage with the guns when your torps are useless.

If they had useful torps as well as good guns...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,149 posts
3,867 battles
3 minutes ago, hoom said:

Well you gotta get damage with the guns when your torps are useless.

If they had useful torps as well as good guns...

Oh like Grozevoi?