You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

Ode to the Cambeltown

12 comments in this topic

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Goodbye to my first premium purchase, the Cambeltown, to be dropped from tech tree with 6.10.  Back in the olden days (2016), was a fun little tier 3 DD, good torps (only three per side), really crappy guns, competitive, my most played boat.  Lots of battles in the Solomon Island map, blind firing torps down the slot or a the ends... lots of fun when German BBs first introduced, matches with what seemed like a bazillion slow-moving torp magnets, target rich environment.  Then came German DDs, G-101 and V-170, too many superior gun destroyers to add to the already deadly Derski, Clemson and Izyaslav... too many hunters to compete effectively with a torp only boat.  Has been sitting in port, virtually rusting, captain moved to British CLs.... Now the indignation of being pulled for everyday sale, not due to OPness, just a poor selling relic...  good day old friend..

• Cool 2

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
187 posts
5,402 battles

I've retired her, but she was extremely fun to play.

Cambeltown.png

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,483 battles

Ahh, yes... my first premium purchase...

I still pull mine out or port once in a while, just because it's a bit more challenging than it's "sister" the Wickes.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

I for one will not be disappointed to see it go. Despite her history Cambeltown wasn't really British, but an American in disguise.

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles

I have her in port and play her quite a bit.  She can only bring two guns to bear on any given target but at least they are good guns with good traverse speed and quick reloads so if you do have to start shooting then, you at least have something decent to shoot.  The torps are long range for the tier but you only have a single triple launcher on each side which can make it more difficult to deliver an alpha strike against most vessels. Still the long range torps give you options that her half sisters, the Wilkes and the Clemson don't have. 

Best point about her, is my 88% WR when using her. Well worth the price. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,978 battles

Not that bad of a destroyer, mostly due to its torpedoes.

Maybe when I fnally get at least one 19 point captain in all the major navy trees I'll think about playing it again.

[LOU1]
Members
2,852 posts
7,980 battles

It is a fun ship.  Glad I bought it a while ago.  The two guns do make it challenging, but it is pretty good at drawing fire and smoking up allies.