Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thegamefilmguruman

Aurora-what should be done?

21 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles

When OBT started Aurora was a strong ship.  It had neither the armour nor arcs of the st louis, and has slightly slower guns than the st louis top hull, and is slower by 3 knots.  In exchange, it had longer range and an extra gun per broadside with good HE.  Her only other competitor at T3 was Tenryu, which had longer range, but less guns and had torps.  This gave Aurora a niche that she filled nicely.  She was the squishy long range firespammer.  If you look at long term stats, they show this.  Aurora has a good overall WR for a T3 cruiser from this time.

But everything changed when the fire nation attacked.  First came the AFT, BFT, and EM nerfs.  Now Aurora's range advantage was significantly diminished, and her guns turned like molasses.  Her citadel was "fixed" to be easier to hit.  Then Bogatyr was introduced.  More guns, more range, and more speed.  And then Friant was introduced.  Stupidly long range, torps, speed, and decent rof on her guns.  As a final nail in Aurora's coffin, all the T3 BBs had their ranges buffed, and so did St Louis.  This leaves us where we are now.  Aurora is a shadow of her former self.  She has no niche.  She is slower and weaker than any of her opponents besides maybe Kolberg.  She went from an alltime WR of 51.6% to a 2 week average of 48.5% on NA.  This has meant that very few people play her anymore as well.  She is a prime example of power creep.

So what is to be done?  A range increase was ruled out when they nerfed AFT because "Aurora cannot take full advantage of it."  Because the AP has such poor ballistics, the guns could not be physically elevated past its current maximum range of 11.2km when firing said AP-but the HE would still be capable of going to 13.44km.  Not that the AP can penetrate anything past about 3km anyway.  Maybe remove the AP from the ship entirely and buff the range?  A ROF buff could help, but it still doesn't solve the problem of being outranged by every cruiser but Kolberg (the other low ship on the T3 totem pole-even stock st louis out-ranges Aurora now).  A speed increase wouldn't go over well, nor would armour. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this ship?  It's in a worse place than Krasny Krym in my opinion. 

[DRI-S]
[DRI-S]
Members
570 posts
16,430 battles

My Aurora she is sitting silent in the port, cannot do much other nations - flavors surpassed her. Year ago she was barely viable, now pretty much none. Miss those days :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles
9 minutes ago, pufek said:

My Aurora she is sitting silent in the port, cannot do much other nations - flavors surpassed her. Year ago she was barely viable, now pretty much none. Miss those days :Smile_sad:

Yep, she's quite the dog now.  Diana is even worse at T2.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,774 posts
13,589 battles

I used to play the Aurora a lot back in the day. But after the nerf and introduction better T3 cruiser and buffed BBs she is almost unplayable. 

Its sad because the Aurora used to be a fun little gun boat, not so fun to play. Even in Co-op it can be painful. 

[DRI-S]
[DRI-S]
Members
570 posts
16,430 battles

Indeed Diana pretty much retired.:fish_sleep:

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,670 battles

Usually I would rage about power creep whenever a thread like this appears, except this time it's about tier 3 cruisers...

err...

Buy König Albert instead?

• Cool 1

[NGA-R]
Supertester
1,038 posts
5,891 battles

I miss playing my Diana and Aurora.  Perfect for Seal Clubbing but not anymore.  I've taken them out once or twice recently but didn't last long so yeah I think they're getting mothballed in my port.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,189 battles
43 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Tachibana. Smith. Campbelltown. Mikasa. Low tier prems are often under powered probably to save baby seals 

Just had a 106k damage game in my Campbeltown, it can launch torps stealth, but whoa unto you if you get in a gun fight!

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
1 minute ago, Morpheous said:

Just had a 106k damage game in my Campbeltown, it can launch torps stealth, but whoa unto you if you get in a gun fight!

I do well in mine too, it has the best WR for its tier on Warships Today last I checked.

Not the best boat at its tier, but good players can do well. Learned to play IJN style torpedo boats on the Campbelltown 

Members
722 posts
5,170 battles

Yeah would be great if WOWS kept up with the Prems we spent money on and actually kept them somewhat balanced speaking mainly of the lower tiers here.

Review them prior to every other update perhaps? Nudge them a little if needed.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,216 battles
1 hour ago, pufek said:

I play mine.

58 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yep, she's quite the dog now.  Diana is even worse at T2.

Perhaps, I still play both.

54 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I used to play the Aurora a lot back in the day. But after the nerf and introduction better T3 cruiser and buffed BBs she is almost unplayable. 

Its sad because the Aurora used to be a fun little gun boat, not so fun to play. Even in Co-op it can be painful. 

I still play them & never in Co-op. I don't believe in playing 'Kindergarten mode'.

50 minutes ago, pufek said:

Indeed Diana pretty much retired.:fish_sleep:

Not here.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

I miss playing my Diana and Aurora.  Perfect for Seal Clubbing but not anymore.  I've taken them out once or twice recently but didn't last long so yeah I think they're getting mothballed in my port.

I have them, not for Seal Clubbing, but to play.

I randomize which of my ships I play. When fewer players are online, I play higher tiers.

Players should not, imho, just play those ships that are supposedly better & ignore the supposedly weaker ones.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

aurora is just way too fragile for todays meta.  you can't even dodge due to lack of speed.    so I relegate aurora to port bauble.   oh well,   power creeped to death.    I am 30th ranked or so in NA for aurora. 

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

I got 80k dmg in my Aurora last weekend...

Still seemed okay for the tier.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
10 minutes ago, centarina said:

aurora is just way too fragile for todays meta.  you can't even dodge due to lack of speed.    so I relegate aurora to port bauble.   oh well,   power creeped to death.    I am 30th ranked or so in NA for aurora. 

this except for 40ish rather than 30ish.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,406 posts
4,294 battles
1 hour ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Usually I would rage about power creep whenever a thread like this appears, except this time it's about tier 3 cruisers...

err...

Buy König Albert instead?

People are going to have to buy Konig Albert really quick, since it's being removed forever once the next patch hits.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I just run ishizuchi, which has been buffed to OPness.   i am averaging 67k dmg in her in last 90 days with 86% WR.  :D

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Aurora is pretty much incompatible in the current meta, even for low tiers.

Good boat two years ago.  Simply out-of-place today.

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles
4 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I take out my Aurora periodically.  She makes a nice fire setting support cruiser with my 17 point Russian CL captain in her.

Ditto. I still like that ship, and she's still fun to play. 

Sign in to follow this