You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

IFHE, Smoke, and Radar changes update!

61 comments in this topic

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Hi guys! 

Dev blog has a new post up about the upcoming WiP changes to smokescreens, IFHE, and radar.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1925177764475228&id=1909055039420834

As my phone won't give me the correct link to embed, here is the text:

ST, Smokes, IFHE and Radar update.
Radar changes have been reverted. IFHE fire chance penalty for 139mm+ guns have been reverted to -3%. The penalty for smaller caliber remains decreased (-1%). Detectability changes remain. These settings combined will be tested in update 0.6.11 ST.

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
Just now, renegadestatuz said:

Seems like they've found a happy medium.

Which is not nerf the problem that they said was a problem.

And buffing DDs, woo?

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

I think they should have kept the radar changes that randomly detects CVs out to 18km.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
5 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

And buffing DDs, woo?

heresy. there is no buff to DDs. even when it's a blatant buff to DDs. didn't you know that?

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
5 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

heresy. there is no buff to DDs. even when it's a blatant buff to DDs. didn't you know that?

No, that's a buff. To DDs and the Atlanta/Flint.

But seriously they have buffed DDs in one way or another in 6 of the last 7 patches. Stop [edited]whining over it.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
1 minute ago, Sakuzhi said:

No, that's a buff. To DDs and the Atlanta/Flint.

But seriously they have buffed DDs in one way or another in 6 of the last 7 patches. Stop [edited]whining over it.

satire, my friend. satire.

i was poking at the DD mains who always complain, even when there's nothing to complain about.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
13 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Sweet so ifhe will still be strong on 150mm guns.

if you're talking about the german guns the why the hell are you taking IFHE if you are talking about the 152-155 of other nations then yes

Edited by skull_122_steel
I suck at grammer

Members
480 posts
2,037 battles
4 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

if your talking about the german guns the why the hell are you taking IFHE if you are talking about the 152-155 of other nations then yes

I mean on the Soviets and murican cls.

Edit: and Italian.

Edited by Krupp_Sabot

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, Krupp_Sabot said:

I mean on the Soviets and murican cls.

Edit: and Italian.

K then yes no change same as before this is really a buff to DDs so there HE actually pens stuff

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,933 battles

All I'm excited for is....ATLANTA BUFFS!

I was thinking 8% was too much of a nerf, but 3% isn't much of a change from the current 2%. Maybe they'll dial it in and figure it out.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles

Despite a certain BB main's claims, I've always seen the IFHE change as a buff to destroyers.

Though it was a bit of a heavy-handed nerf to light cruisers at -8% fire chances for 14cm+ guns. Then again that only affected Mogami, Belfast, and numerous Russian fire-spammers, so... maybe it should have been done since Russians deserve every nerf they get, Belfast is overpowered as hell, and everyone loves to bag on Mogami for existing.

The smoke changes, too, are pretty much only nerfs to battleships and heavy cruisers. Destroyers are largely unaffected and light cruisers are minimally affected by it. But I'm sure the same crop of battleship mains will whine about what is literally only the third time in two years that battleships have ever been specifically nerfed.

Edited by AraAragami

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, mmfullen said:

All I'm excited for is....ATLANTA BUFFS!

I was thinking 8% was too much of a nerf, but 3% isn't much of a change from the current 2%. Maybe they'll dial it in and figure it out.

I was thinking that 4-5% is acceptable a big of enough nerf but still make it useable.

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles
3 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

I was thinking that 4-5% is acceptable a big of enough nerf but still make it useable.

I agree.  Was hoping for a 4-5% myself.  I feel like the 3% still just isn't enough of a deterrent for what it gives.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles
Just now, Sock5 said:

I agree.  Was hoping for a 4-5% myself.  I feel like the 3% still just isn't enough of a deterrent for what it gives.

Still a net -1% with Demolition Expert, so.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

but that is one level three skill the have to take that could be spent on something more useful like SI or EM+PM or BFT

Edited by skull_122_steel

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles
6 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

But with flags you can get that up to a +1%.  I would much rather have it so that if you dedicate yourself to boost your % chance with IFHE, you should at the most come out even.  Reason? Personal preference mostly.  

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
6 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

More the issue is it's only -1% with Signals, which is pretty much a non-factor. 

Seeing as the devs said it's an issue then you know, do nothing about it.

Woo.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,790 posts
13,614 battles

The smoke changes still bother me. I understand the reasoning for change smoke to stop the smoke camping in competitive games or a div with a good DD player. But there are several ships who live and die on their smoke usage and I hope they are not punished for taking advantage of the tools they were designed to use. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
46 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Hi guys! 

Dev blog has a new post up about the upcoming WiP changes to smokescreens, IFHE, and radar.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1925177764475228&id=1909055039420834

As my phone won't give me the correct link to embed, here is the text:

ST, Smokes, IFHE and Radar update.
Radar changes have been reverted. IFHE fire chance penalty for 139mm+ guns have been reverted to -3%. The penalty for smaller caliber remains decreased (-1%). Detectability changes remain. These settings combined will be tested in update 0.6.11 ST.

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

Still think they need to increase the fire reduction. Maybe not the 8% (in hindsight of my previous arguments supporting the change i can see that is a bit extreme) maybe make it a 6% change. I my opinion the 3% reduction is still to small, keeping the skill as is doesn't fix the fact that the skill is way too flexible unlike any of the other skills. However i still like the change for smoke and am glad they kept that, however Wargaming needs to change IFHE, the skill gives too much power with too little loss. But that's just my 2 cents.

Lu5tgUP.gif

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

The smoke changes still bother me

They are a needed and clear issue. The reason why they are getting changed the way they are?

You can still shield friendlies but they can't just sit there and fire away while being immune to return fire anymore. It's literally game-breaking given the general lack of effective counters for this.

Like I've said before, a Sims with the Smoke generator can shield an entire flank for nearly 2 minutes a go and that takes little to no skill to do.

I do agree that I think a -6% dock is likely better. Post Signals it'll be -4% which is more noticable than -1%. 

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

The smoke changes still bother me. I understand the reasoning for change smoke to stop the smoke camping in competitive games or a div with a good DD player. But there are several ships who live and die on their smoke usage and I hope they are not punished for taking advantage of the tools they were designed to use. 

the UK CLs are not really changed by this only making your detention go out to 6 Km in the tier VIII that I can't spell and you have torps so if a BB gets that close just torp him and run

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,749 posts
9,477 battles
39 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

And buffing DDs, woo?

Except IFHE is as useful as an ice cream maker, as far as many DD mains are concerned.

The Akazuki, the whole reason for the skill in the first place, has many players who simply don't bother with IFHE.

4 points is simply too expensive for what it gives to 100-127mm armed DDs. Atlanta is a difrent story.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,700 posts
3,468 battles

I mean it really shouldn't affect too many smoke ships since they all have lower caliber guns. But it will be a bit tougher on them.

I'm personally glad this stops most BBs from using it.