You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Defending the carrier - will you do it

44 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

A question in my mind, for a long time now, is defending your carrier. Like a pendulum, I swing back and forth on the subject as I feel there is no definitive answer that's always true. This is while driving a dd or cruiser. It likely isn't as imperative to a BB driver. 

So you are presented the scenario of an impending attack on your carrier. Red team still has their carrier. There are a lot of variables involved of course, but let's just stick to these three for the initial thought. Your carrier:

1. Rocks the map is owning the reds

2. Is meh or worse, you haven't seen anything out of them or not been watching.

3. Might as well be an island as they appear to be afk.

You have a choice - you can intercept some ships heading towards the carrier. You most likely won't get them all but you would buy the carrier time to lumber away, safely, at the risk of your DD. 

What do you do? 

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,954 battles

If I'm in a position with a capable ship, I'll do my best to defend them.  

But if I'm too far away or in a ship less than ideal, then someone else is better suited to do it.  I'll just hotkey call it out in chat.

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,037 battles

I'd set up a torpedo soup for the enemies, then get the hell out of there.  The soup will hopefully buy time, but I don't risk anything by stealth torping enemies far away.

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles

Normally people lose their minds as soon as they spot a CV, so I try to intercept them because they are free damage, however if there is a better objective I will leave it.

If the CV player is playing smart and moving with the fleet and the enemy somehow has found a way to get to him then I will absolutely turn to help because my team has already messed up by letting the enemy surround us.

Finally, if the CV is an Island I am just as likely to shoot him myself over turn to help him.

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I always defend my team's carrier if I'm in position to do so. Even if they're out of range I'll turn to intercept if I'm not critically needed where I currently am. Even if I'm too late to save the CV, I might still be able to catch and kill the offending DD, which is worth the trouble most times. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

If he is owning the air, yes, the team benefits far more from a CV than a DD

If meh, yes, though will avoid dying if I can even if it is too late for him.

If he is an island, no.  Why risk my ship for no tactical gain.  I will also report him for poor play as the CV has such a big impact on the game

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles

If I'm in a spot where I'm able to help, I'll turn back and do so.  

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,847 battles

Not after the last CV left me hanging in my DD.  Saw fighter cover then it was gone, as the enemy CV torpedoed my ship (ended up with 5 kills) as I was being targeted by the enemy team.  The BB on my team tried to blame me not dodging a torpedo in DD but I called him out in chat and said you will see what I mean when that CV torpedoes you.  It happened.  But he got flags for being detonated. :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

I will always try to assist an allied CV under potential or actual attack  *except a CV that is AFK or doesn't move or is hiding in a far corner.

I play CVs & I never, repeat, never hide in far away corner/border, nor do I anchor & hide behind an island nor do I just sit in my spawn spot.

These kinds of CV players are either poor CV players or, if a low tier CV player, they haven't yet figured out what CVs should be doing.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

For me it depends on the CV and what ship I am in.

And on the CV player, but I have turned around and tried to help a CV player calling out for help even if they where not the best player - island or hiding types.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'hang back and ignore the rest of the battle camping right next to my flat buddy' then no. Unfortunately way too many people do this and excuse it as 'defending the carrier'.

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'come to the aid of the carrier that spent the entire match ignoring the minimap and sitting stationary in an obviously collapsing flank then cries for help', then no. Copulate him, let him sit on his own blisters.

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'come to his aid if I happen to by nearby-ish and in an appropriate ship', then, yes. I do.

• Cool 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'hang back and ignore the rest of the battle camping right next to my flat buddy' then no. Unfortunately way too many people do this and excuse it as 'defending the carrier'.

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'come to the aid of the carrier that spent the entire match ignoring the minimap and sitting stationary in an obviously collapsing flank then cries for help', then no. Copulate him, let him sit on his own blisters.

If by 'defending the carrier' you mean 'come to his aid if I happen to by nearby-ish and in an appropriate ship', then, yes. I do.

Ya;  it  depends a lot on tactical situation.

With theses caveats noted however, in general I love to "defend" the carrier when it's tactically feasible.  Players that get within striking range of an enemy CV tend to get tunnel visioned on taking out the CV, often to the point of ignoring other threats.  Some if my highest scoring games have been where I was able to use a friendly CV as bait, scoring easy kills on enemy ships trying to "Scratch the Flattop."

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If I was close, I would help out my Carrier without question. 

Then again, I would warn them when i saw the enemy heading it's way well before hand.

I've been known to lay a long line of smoke to cover it's escape.

If there's just a DD close to them I'll make it point to tell them to search with their planes and I'd do what I can.

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles

Just ask yourself, will defending your carrier help or hurt your chances of winning in the current circumstance? Then do whatever helps your team's chances of winning the most. This can be applied to just about anything, like, should your cap or def cap, should you chase someone or break off? It all depends on circumstances and how that impacts the odds of you winning the current game that you are in and is different from game to game. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,625 battles
49 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

Just ask yourself, will defending your carrier help or hurt your chances of winning in the current circumstance? Then do whatever helps your team's chances of winning the most. This can be applied to just about anything, like, should your cap or def cap, should you chase someone or break off? It all depends on circumstances and how that impacts the odds of you winning the current game that you are in and is different from game to game. 

I can't count the number of times I've gone back to try to save a CV and only later figured out that 1) they were out of planes, b) wouldn't have known what to do with planes if they had them, and/or c) played selfishly themselves and didn't deserve my help. 

I only recently started playing CV and really understanding the air war. I will only try to help a CV if he has spotted for the team and hit important targets (as opposed to easy but less vital for a win). At least half the times a CV starts screaming for help it's his own damned fault. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

All very interesting comments guys/gals, thanks. I don't feel so bad about now determining if buying them time is worth me potentially being sunk. I appreciate all your comments. 

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

If you want to make defending carriers worth it, make it a game mode.  First to sink the enemy carrier wins.

Makes more logical sense on Ocean than capturing 2 of 3 cap circles.  Of course, soon as it is a game mode, we will get afk [edited] who sail towards the enemy.  It's why we can't have nice things.

[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,586 battles

Well, coming at this from the opposite perspective, I can tell you it's a royal pain when the opposing team guards their carriers.  I usually play DDs, and if I'm in a game with CVs, especially when it's 2 per team, I'll often creep around the map edges looking for them.  Particularly if we have 3-4 DDs per team, and it's not so critical I go cap something.  Along the way, I can usually torp a BB from the rear while I'm hunting CVs behind the enemy's line.  If the CV is guarded, I often find myself alone and outnumbered, and have to try to escape.  Of course, every ship used to guard the CV is a ship not used for something else.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

... and that's the nub, the rub isn't it? Quite often I see a bb or two laying back. "Defending the carrier" they say. "Uh huh okay" comes the reply. Five minutes later the carrier's under attack because it moved but the BB(s) did not notice it had moved. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
On 8/29/2017 at 10:11 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

A question in my mind, for a long time now, is defending your carrier. Like a pendulum, I swing back and forth on the subject as I feel there is no definitive answer that's always true. This is while driving a dd or cruiser. It likely isn't as imperative to a BB driver. 

So you are presented the scenario of an impending attack on your carrier. Red team still has their carrier. There are a lot of variables involved of course, but let's just stick to these three for the initial thought. Your carrier:

1. Rocks the map is owning the reds

2. Is meh or worse, you haven't seen anything out of them or not been watching.

3. Might as well be an island as they appear to be afk.

You have a choice - you can intercept some ships heading towards the carrier. You most likely won't get them all but you would buy the carrier time to lumber away, safely, at the risk of your DD. 

What do you do? 

Depends on the carrier.  If AS, I will try to defend him because he's trying to be a team player in a thankless role.

If strike, I'm pulling for the enemy to sink him.  If he can't bring fighters to defend me from the bombers HE drug into the match, he's on his own with surface ships, and I hope they get him.

Edited by crzyhawk

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
On 9/3/2017 at 3:15 PM, zubalkabir said:

Well, coming at this from the opposite perspective, I can tell you it's a royal pain when the opposing team guards their carriers.  I usually play DDs, and if I'm in a game with CVs, especially when it's 2 per team, I'll often creep around the map edges looking for them.  Particularly if we have 3-4 DDs per team, and it's not so critical I go cap something.  Along the way, I can usually torp a BB from the rear while I'm hunting CVs behind the enemy's line.  If the CV is guarded, I often find myself alone and outnumbered, and have to try to escape.  Of course, every ship used to guard the CV is a ship not used for something else.

past t4 you really shouldn't be spending your time CV hunting.  You should be spotting and cap contesting.  You're essentially taking yourself out of the game, and not doing the things your team needs you to do to be successful.

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

I always go to the aid of the CV even if it means I get sunk.  In a real naval battle every commander knows that his ship should be sacrificed to save a CV.  Just as a DD would drive toward torps headed for a BB. 

When I am driving a CV I find that few on my "team" will defend me.  Most who play are more interested in their own score.  The only reason they want to win is to have their score doubled as the winner.  Teamwork isnt common in this game. 

When I drive a CV I send a fighter squadron to the other side of the map to spot all the enemy ships for my team mates.  I always have to balance the value of my planes as offensive weapons against the good of another ship on my team.  Team mates also expect miracles from a CV.  The CV does have limits on how much impact it can have.  The auto aim feature is flawed and its not easy getting more than 2 hits from TB or DB 6 plane squadrons.  Plus the time to fly back to the CV and reload the planes.  It limits how many sorties a CV can offer. 

• Cool 1